Author Topic: MDX Rubbers  (Read 15520 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
MDX Rubbers
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 11:32:01 pm »
Here’s what they look like after 40k. Almost to the wear bars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: MDX Rubbers
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 12:24:26 am »
OEM tires are typically of lower grade than a replacement set directly from the the brand.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 01:25:44 am »
In a tight economy those could have eked out another season. At least the outer tread. Looks like the tires wore more in the center. Air pressure a little high?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 07:05:36 am »
Was thinking the same thing.

Particularly in a situation where we aren't driving as much
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 07:39:21 am »
I can’t believe I’m being told on this forum that I could have ran these for another season. I thought I’d get chastised for running them to where I did  :rofl2: Theres 1/32nd to the wear bars. Wear is even but I can see how it doesn’t look so from the pics. They were hydroplaning last year when I wouldn’t expect it. They’re done.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:41:33 am by bridgecity »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 07:49:35 am »
They were hydroplaning last year when I wouldn’t expect it. They’re done.
that's all you needed to know there...pics can be deceiving.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 08:09:01 am »
OEM tires are typically of lower grade than a replacement set directly from the the brand.

This. I've never been happy with a set of OEM tires.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2020, 08:19:10 am »

Are you saying that OEM of the same make/model are of lower grade than than purchased replacements?  As in Michelin makes a good Latitude Tour HP and a les good one?

I’d generally agree that OEM tires aren’t the best options out there; ie. They are generally a cheaper tire. In this case I don’t feel that way about the Latitude Tour HP. They weren’t a cheap tire and they performed well with exception to the mileage. Not sure what they are rated for.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 08:25:50 am by bridgecity »

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2020, 08:30:51 am »

Are you saying that OEM of the same make/model are of lower grade than than purchased replacements?  As in Michelin makes a good Latitude Tour HP and a les good one?

I’d generally agree that OEM tires aren’t the best options out there; ie. They are generally a cheaper tire. In this case I don’t feel that way about the Latitude Tour HP. They weren’t a cheap tire and they performed well with exception to the mileage. Not sure what they are rated for.

My mistake. I mean't that I've never had a good set of OEM tires in general. I assume the replacement of the same tire would have similar results.

I believe the Latitude Tour HP is the standard tire on my parents 2014 RDX. They seem ok except they're quite noisy now. Not sure if they're original or not, because it has about 95k on it.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2020, 08:32:56 am »
I thought OEM tires were shaved (?) to produce better f/e results thus have less treadware.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2020, 09:46:35 am »
I thought OEM tires were shaved (?) to produce better f/e results thus have less treadware.
^^

this...in some (many?) cases, the OEM version of the tire that comes with the vehicle may be of lesser "quality" than the same tire you purchase afterwards from your tire retailer.

see the first bit here for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv97i_-V7hA

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2020, 10:23:23 am »
Capiracer has stated several times that OEM rubber is different than aftermarket, even for the same make and model.

The manufacturers are more worried about fuel efficiency and cost than durability.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2020, 10:31:15 am »
I can’t believe I’m being told on this forum that I could have ran these for another season. I thought I’d get chastised for running them to where I did  :rofl2: Theres 1/32nd to the wear bars. Wear is even but I can see how it doesn’t look so from the pics. They were hydroplaning last year when I wouldn’t expect it. They’re done.

That was in good times. We need to readjust our thinking to the new Depression. My Grandfather would have got 3 more seasons out of those  ;D

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2020, 11:59:01 am »

That was in good times. We need to readjust our thinking to the new Depression. My Grandfather would have got 3 more seasons out of those  ;D

:rofl2:

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2020, 12:14:12 pm »
Capiracer has stated several times that OEM rubber is different than aftermarket, even for the same make and model.

The manufacturers are more worried about fuel efficiency and cost than durability.

OE tires are not always "worse" than replacement.   Yeah, the priorities on most cars is fuel efficiency, but OE tires are also held to tighter tolerances, such as conicity and balance.
Problems occur when auto manufacturers want really fuel efficient tires at the expense of everything else.  I believe some Volt tires had this problem, they were developed for a lighter car, but GM wanted them on the Volt.
OE high performance tires are another matter, they are not usually compromised from what I see.
Mr Pickypants

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2020, 12:20:20 pm »

OE tires are not always "worse" than replacement.   Yeah, the priorities on most cars is fuel efficiency, but OE tires are also held to tighter tolerances, such as conicity and balance.
Problems occur when auto manufacturers want really fuel efficient tires at the expense of everything else.  I believe some Volt tires had this problem, they were developed for a lighter car, but GM wanted them on the Volt.
OE high performance tires are another matter, they are not usually compromised from what I see.
yea, it's more of a "may be" issue than a guarantee...of course, the cost of the vehicle is also a factor here...OE tires for a $15k car be of lesser quality...OE tires on a $60k Lexus are likely regular versions.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2020, 12:20:47 pm »
Thanks for adding that info.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2020, 01:13:16 pm »

yea, it's more of a "may be" issue than a guarantee...of course, the cost of the vehicle is also a factor here...OE tires for a $15k car be of lesser quality...OE tires on a $60k Lexus are likely regular versions.

Exactly, higher end cars come with higher end tires.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2020, 07:14:34 pm »
FWIW, I had a horrible time trying to get all-season tires other than Michelin balanced on an MDX. The problem resolved when I went back to Michelin.

I've always found that Michelin's balance great & run true... none of this out of round BS that I've encountered with other tires over the years.
Agree absolutely.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
MDX Rubbers
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2020, 02:42:54 pm »
I've had these on for a couple weeks now (maybe three, time means nothing ).  Nothing remarkable to note.  I've tested them up to 160 and they run smooth.  Not sure if they're any more quiet that the Michelin's that I had for summer's before.  Hard to note any impressions over the Michelin's as I went from winter's to these.  They seem grippy with a decently sharp turn in (considering what I'm driving here), performed well in the wet after a recent snow storm.  I don't know, like I said, hard to compare when the MDX just came off winters.  Any comments I have are basically useless.  :rofl2:

Oh, did notice that they were manufactured in Brazil on the fourth week of 2020.  Take that BWII.

Edit: Found a pic I took with them on dated April 26. They look like tires.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 02:51:04 pm by bridgecity »