Author Topic: 2020 Nissan Frontier Truck Gets a New Powertrain  (Read 1015 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
2020 Nissan Frontier Truck Gets a New Powertrain
« on: February 07, 2020, 07:39:47 am »
A new Frontier, sort of
Read more...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: 2020 Nissan Frontier Truck Gets a New Powertrain
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 08:29:32 am »
The biggest advantage to the Frontier was the fact that it had been around forever in its current form.  The drivetrain was proven and reliable. 

I can understand their need/want to add power, but they're sacrificing the known good qualities of the old engine.

Maybe this drivetrain is a pre-cursor to a complete update in the coming years.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 09:07:39 am »
The biggest advantage to the Frontier was the fact that it had been around forever in its current form.  The drivetrain was proven and reliable. 

I can understand their need/want to add power, but they're sacrificing the known good qualities of the old engine.

I see it as the current engine not being made anymore because they are ramping up on the new model, whatever is left of the old model gets the new powerplant until it's time to switch over.  The ancient Frontier is the only vehicle I have appreciated as much as I have, decent ride, decent f/e, zero issues, comfortable seating, first brake job at 110k.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 09:14:38 am »

I see it as the current engine not being made anymore because they are ramping up on the new model, whatever is left of the old model gets the new powerplant until it's time to switch over.  The ancient Frontier is the only vehicle I have appreciated as much as I have, decent ride, decent f/e, zero issues, comfortable seating, first brake job at 110k.

It's a good vehicle.  Some would say it hasn't kept up with its competition with regards to technology, comfort, etc.  I think that would be missing the point.  Unfortunately, I think the general public wants the technology/comfort, so Frontier's sales numbers have suffered. 

I guess they couldn't keep going on like this forever.  At some point, they would be forced to either update the truck, or cancel it outright.  Given the popularity of the midsize market right now, it only makes sense to update the Frontier to a new model.  The good news is that like Ford, Nissan has a global platform that they can use as a basis for the new truck. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:16:34 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 10:57:05 am »
While the power is nice not sure I would want to own a one year oddball (parts wise) for the long term.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 11:12:56 am »
Nissan is going to ruin it. The only things the Frontier had was the fact that it was simple, reliable and cheap.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 02:11:15 pm »
While the power is nice not sure I would want to own a one year oddball (parts wise) for the long term.

It won't really be an oddball. That engine will be in the next gen Frontier too, as well as other Nissan products.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 02:22:13 pm »
A good test bed for next years all new Frontier. Will be a bit of a oddball, one year offering in the future though.