Author Topic: New Biker....ME!! Well kinda.....  (Read 70666 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: New Biker....ME!! Well kinda.....
« Reply #260 on: February 28, 2020, 10:42:29 pm »
Carbs don't like sitting. If it gets used regular then it would ok. Bikes carbs are simple things unlike the emission controlled monsters from cars in the 70s/80s.

Yes just make sure to dump some fuel stabilizer in it if will sit more than a month and you will be fine. Also jet a teensy lean at your lowest elevation and unless spending tons of time in Colorado  you will be just fine.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #261 on: February 28, 2020, 11:20:32 pm »
Carbs don't like sitting. If it gets used regular then it would ok. Bikes carbs are simple things unlike the emission controlled monsters from cars in the 70s/80s.

Yes just make sure to dump some fuel stabilizer in it if will sit more than a month and you will be fine. Also jet a teensy lean at your lowest elevation and unless spending tons of time in Colorado  you will be just fine.
oh yea, forgot about that...one advantage of fuel injection is if you are riding in areas where the elevation varies...not an issue around here, but out west it may be if you ride in the mountainous regions...FI will automatically adjust your air/fuel mixture as needed.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 29, 2020, 12:41:27 am »
Its not a huge deal. My 300 jetted for 3500' Calgary is rideable down to 2000' (sea level may be getting a little lean) and it can get to 7000-8000' where it is getting fat and noticeable. I have not touched the jetting on the old 300 for 15 years and it has been here and there and everywhere. Just a little "off" sometimes. Fuel injection tends to always be crisp and gives better fuel economy. Not surprising since I think I tend to jet fat which keeps engine temps down.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 29, 2020, 01:18:39 pm »
Its not a huge deal. My 300 jetted for 3500' Calgary is rideable down to 2000' (sea level may be getting a little lean) and it can get to 7000-8000' where it is getting fat and noticeable. I have not touched the jetting on the old 300 for 15 years and it has been here and there and everywhere. Just a little "off" sometimes. Fuel injection tends to always be crisp and gives better fuel economy. Not surprising since I think I tend to jet fat which keeps engine temps down.
sounds good...i know FI can help with ensuring the best air fuel mixture, but i've never had an FI bike and there are no mountains here so i've never experienced it personally (don't know how much of an issue it may be).

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 29, 2020, 02:27:18 pm »
sounds good...i know FI can help with ensuring the best air fuel mixture, but i've never had an FI bike and there are no mountains here so i've never experienced it personally (don't know how much of an issue it may be).
Yep...I had nothing but carb bikes for what seemed like forever. Never an issue on a single carb bike.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #265 on: March 03, 2020, 10:46:35 am »

And I agree, you will grow out of a 300 fairly quickly.

I was going to argue against this, but it's Alberta where you go forever between curves and I wish I had a bike with more power. I'm glad I'm going back to BC where 300s are FUN.
[/quote]

See and if we lived in BC there is no freaking way I wouldn't be looking at a Vstrom 650 at minimum because of all the hills, turns and such, it would suck to have a small displacement bike you can't pass traffic on all those narrow back roads.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 03, 2020, 11:00:14 am »
See and if we lived in BC there is no freaking way I wouldn't be looking at a Vstrom 650 at minimum because of all the hills, turns and such, it would suck to have a small displacement bike you can't pass traffic on all those narrow back roads.
you can still pass someone on a bike...even small bikes are relatively quick...you may not have a ton of top end, but they usually get up and go reasonably well...a $12k 600cc class sportbike will likely destroy pretty much every car sub $150k.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 03, 2020, 11:01:04 am »
you can still pass someone on a bike...even small bikes are relatively quick...you may not have a ton of top end, but they usually get up and go reasonably well...a $12k 600cc class sportbike will likely destroy pretty much every car sub $150k.

I'm not talking about a 600cc crotch rocket, I'm talking about a 300 or lower.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 03, 2020, 12:02:06 pm »
i still wouldn't be that concerned, although the larger engine sized bikes will certainly be quicker...when i had my 250 cc scooter, i never had any issues zipping around most vehicles at legal speeds...yes, Mustang GTs and Z28s beat me, but the scooter beat regular cars with relative ease...now, regular cars are much faster today than they were in the 80s, but i'd guess most 300ish cc bikes would likely be in the range of 8-9 seconds for a 0-60 mph time...but like what was said earlier, the advantage of a larger bike is you are more likely to keep it longer...if you are a bigger guy, it is quite likely you'll tire of a small bike after your first riding season...that's why there are so many for sale every spring and fall...many are purchased by first time riders.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #269 on: March 03, 2020, 12:06:43 pm »

I've never felt lacking in power on a 300. How slow do you think 300s are? My old CB300F was the slowest in its class and still topped out at 156 km/h with a 0-60 in the 7s. My R3 I've topped out to 181 km/h and the 0-60 is in the high 5s.

300s aren't the most ideal on the QEII and Coquihalla Hwy, they can do it just fine but often at high RPMs with little wind protection. But believe me they're an absolute blast to drive on twisty 2 lane roads. Westside Road in Kelowna which is my favourite road, the speed limit is 60-70 km/h and the real challenge is not going past 99 or 109 km/h or else my bike will get impounded if I'm caught.

There are quite a number of 600cc and litre sport bike riders who have 125cc Groms for bombing around the city on or riding on long before they take their big bikes out in May when it's warm enough that their tires will actually have traction.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 03, 2020, 12:19:00 pm »
i still wouldn't be that concerned, although the larger engine sized bikes will certainly be quicker...when i had my 250 cc scooter, i never had any issues zipping around most vehicles at legal speeds...yes, Mustang GTs and Z28s beat me, but the scooter beat regular cars with relative ease...now, regular cars are much faster today than they were in the 80s, but i'd guess most 300ish cc bikes would likely be in the range of 8-9 seconds for a 0-60 mph time...but like what was said earlier, the advantage of a larger bike is you are more likely to keep it longer...if you are a bigger guy, it is quite likely you'll tire of a small bike after your first riding season...that's why there are so many for sale every spring and fall...many are purchased by first time riders.

Oh the amount of 300, 250 and 125 crotch rockets for sale is ridiculous. All my friends warned of staying away from them as I would lose interest very quickly. I want a learner bike, but not something that I won't want after a month.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #271 on: March 03, 2020, 12:48:47 pm »
There's a lot of difference in those bikes, ie a Versys 300 makes 40hp compared to my TW200 which makes 16.

The TW200 was great for commuting in Medicine Hat and would be fun in BC, but is a bit small for the Henday. I took it from MH to Lethbridge and back once (16hp!) but it was an experience, especially against the wind going west

If you are going to be commuting to work I'd think ABS might come in useful in our traffic/oily roads. If you are going to be doing road trips on the QE2 then something stable with wind protection is nice when the wind is up and the road is full of semi's

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 03, 2020, 01:23:04 pm »
My TU250X has the same 16hp and I rode it on a 5k kms trip  :rofl2:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #273 on: March 03, 2020, 01:33:01 pm »

I've never felt lacking in power on a 300. How slow do you think 300s are? My old CB300F was the slowest in its class and still topped out at 156 km/h with a 0-60 in the 7s. My R3 I've topped out to 181 km/h and the 0-60 is in the high 5s.

300s aren't the most ideal on the QEII and Coquihalla Hwy, they can do it just fine but often at high RPMs with little wind protection. But believe me they're an absolute blast to drive on twisty 2 lane roads. Westside Road in Kelowna which is my favourite road, the speed limit is 60-70 km/h and the real challenge is not going past 99 or 109 km/h or else my bike will get impounded if I'm caught.

There are quite a number of 600cc and litre sport bike riders who have 125cc Groms for bombing around the city on or riding on long before they take their big bikes out in May when it's warm enough that their tires will actually have traction.

I think you're making the same mistake as I called out earlier, what's right for you vs him.

He wants something he can tour on, maybe take off road, and is a regular sized bloke. 300cc isn't going to do it, and he doesn't want a rev happy sportsbike.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #274 on: March 03, 2020, 01:37:51 pm »
I think you're making the same mistake as I called out earlier, what's right for you vs him.

He wants something he can tour on, maybe take off road, and is a regular sized bloke. 300cc isn't going to do it, and he doesn't want a rev happy sportsbike.

About a dozen posts up I agreed a 300 wouldn't be ideal for him in Alberta and that was that. But then he argued with me that a 300 is not ideal in BC so I had to argue back.  ;D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #275 on: March 03, 2020, 01:41:58 pm »

About a dozen posts up I agreed a 300 wouldn't be ideal for him in Alberta and that was that. But then he argued with me that a 300 is not ideal in BC so I had to argue back.  ;D

LOL, you made it look like i said that.  :rofl2:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 03, 2020, 01:42:02 pm »
90% of the time you wants the torques..

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #277 on: March 03, 2020, 01:52:10 pm »
90% of the time you wants the torques..

Exactly, torque makes you feel fast acceleration... hp makes you go fast  :rofl:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 03, 2020, 02:05:19 pm »
There's a lot of difference in those bikes, ie a Versys 300 makes 40hp compared to my TW200 which makes 16.

The TW200 was great for commuting in Medicine Hat and would be fun in BC, but is a bit small for the Henday. I took it from MH to Lethbridge and back once (16hp!) but it was an experience, especially against the wind going west

If you are going to be commuting to work I'd think ABS might come in useful in our traffic/oily roads. If you are going to be doing road trips on the QE2 then something stable with wind protection is nice when the wind is up and the road is full of semi's

Thats the main reason for not wanting something with some small CCs, the Henday.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 03, 2020, 02:31:29 pm »
I already bought a helmet, gloves and boots. What do you guys think of/know of Klim gear?? I was thinking of them for jacket and pants.