Author Topic: Bought a used pickup  (Read 18778 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: Bought a used pickup
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2020, 03:00:40 pm »
...thought I'd support a Canadian company in this case.
are they just a distributor or do they also manufacture the brake items??...their website doesn't seem to say anything about "made in Canada", so i'm guessing they are just a distributor (and the products are made in China?)?

I think they do the coatings and maybe the machining in Canada. 
Have been great for the price so far.
I agree. Quality seems pretty good at this point too.

How are they holding up on the Cayenne?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2020, 03:08:32 pm »
Maxbrakes is a good product?  Never heard of them.

3rd time using them.  Pretty pleased with them!  Price is unbeatable.  Allegedly the same weight and same vane number as OEM rotors. Located in Canada.

I think Blur911 put them on his Cayenne too. (IIRC)

https://www.maxbrakes.com/en-ca/
No more brake parts from Rock Auto?
Railton

With shipping it was about the same price for similar from Rockauto, thought I'd support a Canadian company in this case.

Also, when I added brakes to my Rockauto order, somehow it moved where some of the other parts were coming from and increased shipping for them as well.
Good idea!
Railton

I always check Canadian distributors first, if the price and delivery are no more then I shop here before going to Rockauto.   
Mr Pickypants

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2020, 03:12:59 pm »
...thought I'd support a Canadian company in this case.
are they just a distributor or do they also manufacture the brake items??...their website doesn't seem to say anything about "made in Canada", so i'm guessing they are just a distributor (and the products are made in China?)?

I think they do the coatings and maybe the machining in Canada. 
Have been great for the price so far.
I agree. Quality seems pretty good at this point too.

How are they holding up on the Cayenne?

Their E-coating eventually rusts off, but no problems with performance.   They are cross-drilled and slotted on the Cayenne, working fine.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2020, 03:36:53 pm »
Was talking to my indie a few months ago and he will install supplied parts and had someone bring in the MaxBrakes parts and he said they looked really good, and amazing for the price.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2020, 03:44:42 pm »
Was talking to my indie a few months ago and he will install supplied parts and had someone bring in the MaxBrakes parts and he said they looked really good, and amazing for the price.

If Ron uses 'em (and he's probably the pickiest sonofabitch ever), then I'm sure they're great. 

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2020, 03:51:43 pm »
Maxbrakes is a good product?  Never heard of them.

3rd time using them.  Pretty pleased with them!  Price is unbeatable.  Allegedly the same weight and same vane number as OEM rotors. Located in Canada.

I think Blur911 put them on his Cayenne too. (IIRC)

https://www.maxbrakes.com/en-ca/
No more brake parts from Rock Auto?
Railton

With shipping it was about the same price for similar from Rockauto, thought I'd support a Canadian company in this case.

Also, when I added brakes to my Rockauto order, somehow it moved where some of the other parts were coming from and increased shipping for them as well.
Good idea!
Railton

I always check Canadian distributors first, if the price and delivery are no more then I shop here before going to Rockauto.
There use to be a Canadian (DRILLED AND SLOTTED) Rotor supplier in Ottawa East end on Star Top rd. They would advertise on the back of C&D, Road &Track and the like years back. Don't know of they are still there or not.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2020, 05:28:16 pm »
Late to the party but congrats, and nice buy!  :thumbup:  I still see a few Equators around here.

I was looking for a Frontier but now i don't know what the hell i want.  Don't really need a truck but would be nice to have a beater of some sort, and some utility.  I haven't heard any complaints about these other than fuel consumption.   

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2020, 05:36:56 pm »
Update on Maxbrakes:  I ordered my set on Monday and they arrived today at 3:30pm. Delivery method was UPS.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2020, 05:56:16 pm »
Never seen one here in Alberta - not sure they were ever sold here. I did see one in Winnipeg though. Nice buy.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2020, 05:58:40 pm »
Never seen one here in Alberta - not sure they were ever sold here. I did see one in Winnipeg though. Nice buy.

I've seen a handful around Edmonton, not popular thats for sure.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2020, 07:43:02 pm »
The late, Ranger-cloned Mazda B-Series are another odd duck in the truck market. Rare, but cheap to buy.

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2020, 07:44:35 pm »
I've seen maybe one of those Suzie pick-ups, super rare around here for sure.  Great reason to pick one up if you can - rare but common parts!

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2020, 08:24:24 pm »
Late to the party but congrats, and nice buy!  :thumbup:  I still see a few Equators around here.

I was looking for a Frontier but now i don't know what the hell i want.  Don't really need a truck but would be nice to have a beater of some sort, and some utility.  I haven't heard any complaints about these other than fuel consumption.   

Common complaint for newer ones is chipping paint from the bottom door panels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWWUR2f74oU

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2020, 09:56:36 pm »
New windshield is in.

Last day of 10 day permit tomorrow, think I'll drive it to work and then into the garage when I get home until parts arrive, hopefully Monday.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2020, 09:25:04 am »

If Ron uses 'em (and he's probably the pickiest sonofabitch ever), then I'm sure they're great.

I ordered a set for the Fusion last summer.  $150ish all in, rotors (drilled and slotted for that race car look  ;D) and pads.  They're definitely thinner than stock stuff, and for whatever reason, they sound like you're pushing cork-board onto rusty...rotors...kinda sound and feel a little weird, but they stop fine in the end.  For the money, if it's me who effed up the install, I can do a full replacement 5-6 times before it costs me what it would once at the dealership.  And now that I own the proper tools to press the rear calipers in the right way (rent them for $80 at Cdn Tire or buy them for $80...hmm...)...I'll never have to pay anyone to do brakes for me again.  Should be up for replacements in...oh...9 yrs or so.  Hope I don't lose my tools.  :P

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2020, 10:00:08 am »

I ordered a set for the Fusion last summer.  $150ish all in, rotors (drilled and slotted for that race car look  ;D) and pads.  They're definitely thinner than stock stuff, and for whatever reason, they sound like you're pushing cork-board onto rusty...rotors...kinda sound and feel a little weird, but they stop fine in the end.  For the money, if it's me who effed up the install, I can do a full replacement 5-6 times before it costs me what it would once at the dealership.  And now that I own the proper tools to press the rear calipers in the right way (rent them for $80 at Cdn Tire or buy them for $80...hmm...)...I'll never have to pay anyone to do brakes for me again.  Should be up for replacements in...oh...9 yrs or so.  Hope I don't lose my tools.  :P

Brakes are one of those items that if you have even basic hand tools, and are even slightly somewhat comfortable with doing mechanical work, you can easily do them yourself, especially now that we've mostly done away with drum brakes.  And seeing as dealerships/mechanics love to mark up brake jobs like crazy, the potential to save money by doing it yourself is huge.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2020, 10:18:52 am »
I am not aware of any rotors being made in Canada, everything ships over from China pre-machined and coated. That's not to say it's no good quality, the Chinese foundries are capable of excellent quality, assuming the importer/distributor has spec'd it that way. Actually I am not aware of anyone manufacturing rotors in the US either, it's largely China with a couple European exceptions.

Pads are similar, though the process is a little more small-business friendly, so there are some independents producing in North America, including one guy in the GTA. There also seems to be a bit more variety in country of origin; India, Taiwan, etc are players in pads.

The biggest variable when it comes to regular daily driver style rotors is the longevity of the coating...Which is a function of not only the coating itself, but the metallurgy of the rotor, a higher quality metallurgy will be less susceptible to rust, and thus the coating will stay on it longer.

I haven't used Max Brakes....But I might try some just to see what's up. I did put a set of MotoMaster rotors from CT on the DTS when I got it around October 2018 and to date the black coating on them has held up very well. Sample size of 1 though, and I don't have anything to directly compare it to.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2020, 06:23:41 pm »
 I finally got it on the road.   

Needed rear brakes, got them from Maxbrakes, installed the rears, will do the fronts when I get time, they were low, but not worn out.  Also freed up a stuck slider
Installed a right upper ball-joint.  Might buy a ball-joint press tool somewhere down the road, this time I removed the upper control arm and pressed it out at work.
Driver's door window regulator, new one works much better, don't have to whap the door.
Licence plate light and rear middle brake light.
Windshield.
Exhaust, for the most part, cat-back except the tail-pipe.  Muffler is warrantied for life Walker.  Hoped I didn't need this, but easier to replace than fix what was there.

So the total was about $1k.  I did half the work myself.   Not bad, would have like to have gotten away with the windshield and cheaper exhaust.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2020, 09:04:15 pm »
I've always wanted a ball joint kit for pneumatic tool. But just didn't think I'd use it enough.

But man...when you do need it, nothing better.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2020, 09:17:01 pm »
I've always wanted a ball joint kit for pneumatic tool. But just didn't think I'd use it enough.

But man...when you do need it, nothing better.

That's the first one I've had to push in and out, all others have been bolt-in. 
A friend had a good kit, said he'd loan it if I needed one, so I'm probably good for a while at this rate.