Author Topic: Bought a used pickup  (Read 18807 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Bought a used pickup
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 10:50:30 pm »
Bonused a Green Day CD, a 4-foot aluminum level and a water bottle so far. 
 Some people don't clean out their cars very well.

Anyhow, it's a 2009, has a 4.0 liter V6 with 261 hp and 281 lb-ft of torque, auto tranny, towing package and not a whole lot more.
I have to fix a few things for a safety, top brake light is out and the driver's airbag needs a clock spring, which is common to break and cause a SRS warning.  I have one on order for about $70
292k on it, but it looks better than one I saw with half the mileage and it drives nicely and feels tight.  Should be a good work/play truck.
Clock springs can be a PITA on some cars.

How is it in this?

Looks like a half hour job with minimal fuss according to the youtube howto vids.    Factory part is kinda expensive, aftermarket not bad.  https://www.ebay.ca/itm/253253370108
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2020, 11:01:16 pm »
Bonused a Green Day CD, a 4-foot aluminum level and a water bottle so far. 
 Some people don't clean out their cars very well.

Anyhow, it's a 2009, has a 4.0 liter V6 with 261 hp and 281 lb-ft of torque, auto tranny, towing package and not a whole lot more.
I have to fix a few things for a safety, top brake light is out and the driver's airbag needs a clock spring, which is common to break and cause a SRS warning.  I have one on order for about $70
292k on it, but it looks better than one I saw with half the mileage and it drives nicely and feels tight.  Should be a good work/play truck.
Clock springs can be a PITA on some cars.

How is it in this?

Looks like a half hour job with minimal fuss according to the youtube howto vids.    Factory part is kinda expensive, aftermarket not bad.  https://www.ebay.ca/itm/253253370108
Oh that's good.

Definitely doable.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 11:16:47 pm »
Very cool, congrats!!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2020, 11:27:16 pm »
Looks better than the Nissan IMO and its rarity makes it even more of an impressive find. There are 3(!) for sale nationwide, no wonder I've never seen one on the road. Congrats and happy motoring!
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 12:30:53 am »
I'd rather have it than the Nissan just for the oddity of the brand.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2020, 12:55:07 am »
Cool truck.  It's unique, but also, because it's a Frontier, parts will be readily available and cheap.

I'm guessing it was an American-sold truck?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it was ever sold here?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 01:07:21 am »
cool, i've never seen one of those before...looks like it was only sold in Canada from 2008-2010 models and only 5808 were ever sold (in Canada/USA).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 10:33:24 am »
Cool truck.  It's unique, but also, because it's a Frontier, parts will be readily available and cheap.

I'm guessing it was an American-sold truck?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it was ever sold here?

They seem to be more popular in Quebec, I found 3 for sale there, all appearing to be in decent condition.
Quebec folks are much more likely to buy unusual cars from unusual manufacturers.   There are a lot of Suzukis, Reneaults, etc. out there.

Suzuki Canada even authorized work to be done at some places, nearest to me is a Kia dealer in Carleton Place that used to be a Suzuki dealer
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:32:57 am by blur911 »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 10:50:16 am »
The best part about these older gen trucks like the Frontier is there's nothing on them that an Indy can't do.  They're very simple trucks.  They're the (old) Ford Ranger of vehicles. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2020, 10:56:31 am »
The best part about these older gen trucks like the Frontier is there's nothing on them that an Indy can't do.  They're very simple trucks.  They're the (old) Ford Ranger of vehicles.

Plus my indy-mechanic friend used to be a Nissan tech for over 20 years.   He could fix these with his eyes closed.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2020, 11:02:17 am »
Cool purchase blur. I’ve always liked these. A little different, but common mechanics.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2020, 11:07:51 am »
Nissan should have adopted the front bodywork and slapped their logo on it.  The Suzie version is better looking.

Super interesting find, keep us posted on it's life with you.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2020, 12:32:58 pm »
I'm trying to replace the hopefully just burnt out center brake light on it, somehow I have every tool, except a 7mm nut driver.

Guess I'm off to crappy tire.    I'll get some pics of the interior if I remember.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2020, 12:34:05 pm »
Cool purchase.  I hope it treats you well.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2020, 03:10:53 pm »

Plus my indy-mechanic friend used to be a Nissan tech for over 20 years.   He could fix these with his eyes closed.
yea, about the only issue i've read is the "strawberry milkshake" scenario...the transmission cooler was housed in the rad, and would sometimes develop a leak, allowing coolant into the transmission, which ruins it...i believe there was a fix after the first several years, so it might be worthwhile to see if your truck is good to go on that part...from what i recall, it isn't overly expensive to get done...blowing out a tranny is very costly...everything else on that truck is pretty durable.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2020, 05:39:22 pm »

yea, about the only issue i've read is the "strawberry milkshake" scenario...the transmission cooler was housed in the rad, and would sometimes develop a leak, allowing coolant into the transmission, which ruins it...i believe there was a fix after the first several years, so it might be worthwhile to see if your truck is good to go on that part...from what i recall, it isn't overly expensive to get done...blowing out a tranny is very costly...everything else on that truck is pretty durable.

The easiest thing to do is change the radiator, coolant and hoses in a 11 year old vehicle.  Cost is about $200 in parts, money well spent on insurance
I see that mine has an actual tranny cooler in front of the radiator, I'll have to follow the plumbing and see if it runs through the radiator or not.   Must be part of the towing package or the fix you mentioned above
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 05:42:26 pm by blur911 »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2020, 06:36:01 pm »
I see that mine has an actual tranny cooler in front of the radiator, I'll have to follow the plumbing and see if it runs through the radiator or not.   Must be part of the towing package or the fix you mentioned above
yea, give that a look...if it's separate, it may be part of the fix that was out...it's really the only thing you have to look for in those trucks...they are otherwise pretty solid...you can google the strawberry milkshake frontier issue for more info (to check if yours was already done).

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2020, 07:23:02 pm »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2020, 08:31:19 pm »
I mean, ya, it's cool. Looks good, is clean.

Good bike hauler.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2020, 08:40:38 pm »
Looks clean!

The truck is pretty much the same as a 2020 Frontier.