Author Topic: Fleet update from Flinter  (Read 4828 times)

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
Fleet update from Flinter
« on: January 21, 2020, 09:15:27 pm »
I can't believe that it's been almost 2 years years since my last post on this forum. Life has been busy with work and my ongoing house renovation project, so I thought I should post a quick update on our fleet.

My last posts here on the forum were related our newest acquisition, a 2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD. You can read my introduction here:

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=101162.msg1360147#msg1360147

We've put approximately 15K km on the truck over the past year and as one would expect, it has been a reliable addition. It currently has ~75K km on it so the plan it to hold on to in indefinitely unless it falls victim to road salt here in NL. Speaking of which, I just recently received a recall letter to get the frame of the truck inspected for premature corrosion damage as was done to prior vintages of Tacoma's. Toyota indicated that if the frame was showed excessive corrosion damage, they would replace the frame??? That has got to be one expensive recall to replace the frame of a truck?? In any event, I've had it Krown'd every year and the frame looks pretty pristine. Brakes/Rotors/Engine Oil have been the only items required with the exception of an issue with the A/C. I haven’t repaired it yet, but basically, the magnetic clutch that engages the A/C compressor pulley died, probably from lack of use here in NL summers. Toyota does not sell only the magnetic clutch and instead wanted to replace the entire compressor at a cost of $600-700. I said no thanks and just haven't gotten around to buy the A/C magnetic clutch assembly which I see is available on ebay.

The 2011 BMW 128i which I leased than purchased back in 2010 is still part of the fleet. Here are a couple of links to our discussions about the car.

Original Forum Post
https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=96259.msg1196571#msg1196571   

6 Year update
https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=96259.msg1196571#msg1196571

There isn't much I can say about this car that I haven't already said. It leads a pretty charmed life with only about 45K km in almost 10 years of ownership. There are times I tell myself that a smart person would sell it due to lack of use, but then I go drive it for a couple of hours, and I come back saying I'll never sell it. There is just something about the size of the car, how it drives, and the smooth refined power delivery of the I6 engine that makes me smile. It just scratches that itch I have for a sports car.  In addition, and I'm almost afraid to say this, but on the reliability front it's been pretty good so far. I take it to a BMW dealer annually for any recalls, an oil change, and a general service inspection and that's it. There hasn't been any costly repairs thus far. I replaced the front brake rotors due to subtle warping about 2 years ago, and I've also replaced a MAP sensor and 1 front wheel speed sensor. I diagnosed/replaced both sensor failures myself using an inexpensive code reader that reads BMW specific codes.    

Ms. Flinter still has the 2017 Kia RIO which she leased 2.5 years ago. Initial impressions are here:    

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=98916.msg1322816#msg1322816

It currently has about 6 months left on the 3 year lease and we've put approx. 40K km on it during the last 2.5 years. It has been completely trouble free, and as I mentioned in my previous posts, it’s a terrific around town errand running machine. It's not going to blow your mind with power or handling prowess but it’s efficient, comfortable, and pleasant to drive and park. We plan to return it after lease completion, not because we dislike the car but mainly to replace it with a similar sized AWD vehicle. We get large amounts of snow (~400 cm) here in western NL each winter.  That means vehicle shopping starts this summer!!!

My final update involves a new addition to the fleet. Since my move back to NL, I've been dreaming about snowmobiles. When I was younger and growing up in Northern NL, snowmobiles were often the preferred method of travel during the winter months and riding/tinkering with snowmobiles was my main pastime during winter. Anyway, near the end of last winter I finally took the plunge and purchased a used 2016 Ski-doo Renegade X 600 ETEC.  So far I've put almost 1000 km on it and I can say with certainty that snowmobiles have come a long, long way since my youth. This 600cc liquid cooled direct injection 2 stroke is one of the smaller displacement options available these days but its still rated for 120hp and the sled has a dry weight of only 477lbs. The balance and suspension on these modern snowmobiles is just incredible. For instance, this machine has 9 inches of front suspension travel and 16 inches of rear travel, as well as adjustable compression damping on the shocks. As you drive can move your weight around on the chassis to change traction or the bite of the front skis. It basically feels like a sport bike for the snow.  You can cover hundreds of KM/day without feeling any ill effects/stiffness.  In addition, this year I've built a loading/unloading platform for the Tacoma so now I can transport the beast!!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Fleet update from Flinter
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 09:31:11 pm »
^^I LOVE sleds!  I really do!  Modern sleds, particularly muscle sleds are bananas.

Super jealous!

We just don't get the snow here anymore...plus someone stole it on my birthday!!   :-[

My bro still has a 2008 Yamaha Nytro with Ohlins suspension.  Pretty fun.  He was up in Gaylord MI this past weekend...a snowmobiling paradise.  He said he had a nasty fall..but was glad he was wearing his TekVest.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:36:19 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 09:36:27 pm »
Hey, thanks for the update. Happy to hear you’ve still got that sweet 128i!

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 10:07:50 pm »
Good to se you posting on here again Flinter. Thanks for the update.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 08:23:41 am »
I like the platform you have built for your snowmobile. :thumbup:
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 08:06:53 pm »
^^I LOVE sleds!  I really do!  Modern sleds, particularly muscle sleds are bananas.

Super jealous!

We just don't get the snow here anymore...plus someone stole it on my birthday!!   :-[

My bro still has a 2008 Yamaha Nytro with Ohlins suspension.  Pretty fun.  He was up in Gaylord MI this past weekend...a snowmobiling paradise.  He said he had a nasty fall..but was glad he was wearing his TekVest.

Understood. These modern sleds can be pretty expensive toys and hard to justify in your part of the country unless you want to spend your weekends driving to MI or Northern ON etc. I just checked the Yamaha website and many of the 2020 models are >$20K  :o :o

There are just so many riders here in Western NL that if your patient you can find a decent used sled for $5-7K.

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 08:16:02 pm »
Hey, thanks for the update. Happy to hear you’ve still got that sweet 128i!

Thanks!! I think the book value is something like $10-15K and I don't think I could find something I enjoy more for that kind of money.

Also, seems like the NA 6 cylinder engine s quickly going extinct in smaller cars like this. Who knows, with the smaller sales volumes and "unique" styling of this iteration of the 1 series, perhaps it become a classic some day. :D

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 08:21:14 pm »
Thanks for the update! A very nice fleet you got.

I'm still enjoying my 2012 128i 6MT. It has about 126k but it definitely has had more issues than yours.

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 08:47:30 pm »
I like the platform you have built for your snowmobile. :thumbup:

Thanks very much!! The platform was quite the engineering challenge and I spent ALOT of time on the various Tacoma and snowmobile forums looking for ideas. The underling issue is that the sled is a little over 10ft long and the truck bed is 6ft long. Added to that, the tailgate on these Tacoma is very... light duty. I'm afraid to stand on it, much less load/unload a 500lb sled on it. Further to that, the dimensions between the wheel wells is too small for the width of the skis!!

Here are a few more pics just in case you would like a closer look.

The ramps are made of 3/4" plywood reinforced with 2x3. They hang on a solid 1" rod when in use but can be stored in the cavity under the platform when driving. The 2x3s on the surface of the ramp help keep the sled from wandering when going up the incline. The black stuff is ski glides made by Caliber so the ski carbides don't stick.

The frame is 10ft long and made of 2x10 ripped down so the top of the platform (also 3/4" plywood) lays in top of the wheel humps. I used standard 5/4"deck plank to laterally reinforce the structure for the weight of the sled.

I laminated additional 2x10 around the area of the wheel humps to "lock" the whole thing in place so it doesn't slide out. I also have turnbuckles hooked into eye bolts on the platform that connect to D-rings in the bed. The notch in the front beams that you see is so I can install/remove the platform while leaving the rigid folding tonneau cover on the truck.

Tailgate end view

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 08:50:53 pm »

Super jealous!

Understood. These modern sleds can be pretty expensive toys and hard to justify in your part of the country unless you want to spend your weekends driving to MI or Northern ON etc. I just checked the Yamaha website and many of the 2020 models are >$20K  :o :o

There are just so many riders here in Western NL that if your patient you can find a decent used sled for $5-7K.
I live on the Lake...and even if the Lake froze as it did in years past...you could ride there until March. It's hit or miss now.

And I really love old school 2stroke muscle. SRX700, Vmax 4, etc

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 08:51:34 pm »

I'm still enjoying my 2012 128i 6MT. It has about 126k but it definitely has had more issues than yours.

I'm almost afraid to ask about the "issues" you've experienced. :-\

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 08:52:19 pm »
I car with only 45k shouldn't have issues...that's still new car mileage.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 08:53:38 pm »
Very impressive job on the ramp and transport system!  A bunch of friends in St. John’s would love to have your sled right now!  :rofl2:
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 08:55:03 pm »

I got my list ready if you wanna know.  ;D

I just re-read the Tacoma post. Wow $15k for that truck in 2018, with 60km was a STEAL   :o :fall: . I bet its still worth more than that now....

Re: A/C. Check Rock Auto. Not sure but do things cost more to ship to NFLD?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 08:57:09 pm by 1FGC »

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 08:58:00 pm »

Super jealous!

I live on the Lake...and even if the Lake froze as it did in years past...you could ride there until March. It's hit or miss now.

I actually saw an older SRX700 on the trails on Sunday. It was in really good shape and that triple sure makes beautiful sounds.

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 09:05:02 pm »
Very impressive job on the ramp and transport system!  A bunch of friends in St. John’s would love to have your sled right now!  :rofl2:

Yes, that was some kind of crazy storm they had on the NE Avalon area.  Did you see this story about a lady that accidentally left her car window open during the storm?

https://globalnews.ca/news/6438881/newfoundland-storm-blizzard-car/

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 09:16:13 pm »

I got my list ready if you wanna know.  ;D

I just re-read the Tacoma post. Wow $15k for that truck in 2018, with 60km was a STEAL   :o :fall: . I bet its still worth more than that now....

Re: A/C. Check Rock Auto. Not sure but do things cost more to ship to NFLD?

I think I'll wait a little longer. Ignorance is bliss!!  ;D

Yep, I was pretty lucky with that lease buyout on the Taco. I have seen several recently on the local classifieds asking $18-20K. I think the higher MSRP on the current gen Taco is artificially driving up used prices on the older gen.

I did check out Rock Auto as they're usually still cheaper than local NL parts shops even with shipping cost. For some reason, nobody seems to sell only the A/C clutch assembly except for a few US sellers on ebay.  It's -10C here now so I think I have some time to search around. ;D ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 09:17:37 pm »

Super jealous!

I actually saw an older SRX700 on the trails on Sunday. It was in really good shape and that triple sure makes beautiful sounds.
And they are beastly! Nearly 140hp stock. Held the manufacturer record for stock 1/4 at Old Forge for ages..12 seconds flat!

And yea, with cans (pipes were too loud! ) mine sounded sweet! And I had the clutch set up perfectly...with my adjustable traction rods I could pull the skis at 80km/h!

I'm surprised more people here don't have them....tons of fun riding WFO with your bum only 2 feet off the deck!

Sledding is tons and tons of fun!

And your sled is shockingly clean and fuel efficient for a 2 stroke. Better than some 4 strokes I've read...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 10:22:47 pm »

And your sled is shockingly clean and fuel efficient for a 2 stroke. Better than some 4 strokes I've read...

Hope Flinter doesn't mind me going off on a tangent, but that reminded me of something I read the other day.

Apparently they're considering two-strokes for F1 cars, for eco reasons.  :D

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2020, 10:37:28 pm »
Eco reasons?  Far more pollution is put out by the logistics (planes & trucks) to move the teams around the world than that put out by the cars themselves.  What silliness!