Author Topic: Porsche buying thread  (Read 232327 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Porsche buying thread
« Reply #2020 on: May 28, 2024, 07:42:34 pm »
Saw the press fleet Boxster yesterday.  Metallic pink with white wheels  :P

Design Edition in Ruby Star Neo?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: May 28, 2024, 07:45:00 pm »
Really disappointed by the new GTS..

Hybridization was inevitable but I'm a bit surprised they did it with the GTS. The tech sounds super impressive but it's not for me. I'd take a T or an S manual.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: May 28, 2024, 08:43:13 pm »

Hybridization was inevitable but I'm a bit surprised they did it with the GTS. The tech sounds super impressive but it's not for me. I'd take a T or an S manual.
Yea, that's my problem.

Hybrid as power adder is a great idea!

But GTS has typically been among the "purest" sports offerings from Porsche.

All this additional tech and complexity seems to fly in the face of that purity IMO.

But the idea itself I like...Just not for the GTS.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2023 on: May 29, 2024, 08:07:56 am »

Yea, that's my problem.

All this additional tech and complexity seems to fly in the face of that purity IMO.

I just hate that it's automatic only.  It's an interesting concept, but I tend to think they focused a lot on efficiency, which I guess is the main point of hybridization.  I wonder if by adding more tech to make it more efficient, not to mention all the EV's and PHEV's they are starting to make, will allow them to keep some more pure sports cars like the T or GT3 and maybe keep the manual around.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #2024 on: May 29, 2024, 08:39:37 am »
Saw the press fleet Boxster yesterday.  Metallic pink with white wheels  :P

Design Edition in Ruby Star Neo?

It's exactly like this one:

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #2025 on: May 29, 2024, 08:44:02 am »

Yea, that's my problem.

I just hate that it's automatic only.  It's an interesting concept, but I tend to think they focused a lot on efficiency, which I guess is the main point of hybridization.  I wonder if by adding more tech to make it more efficient, not to mention all the EV's and PHEV's they are starting to make, will allow them to keep some more pure sports cars like the T or GT3 and maybe keep the manual around.

I'm driving an F-Type R75 Coupe this week, and I must say the automatic thinks it's a manual, even when left to its own. Nothing replaces a true manual for pure mechanical bonding, I admit, but the Jag's slushbox is part of the experience. That and 575, baritone V8-bred horses vibrating up your spine. Not bad value at $130k.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: May 29, 2024, 09:02:54 am »

Yea, that's my problem.

I dunno about purity – the GTS has alway basically been an S with a bit more power, some of the performance options as standard, and some unique design details inside and/or out. The GTS has never been lighter or simpler than the S and has offered mostly all of the same amenities as options. I should note that more recently they did offer a lightweight package that deleted the rear seat and some sound deadening, had thinner glass, etc.

More recently some of the GTS models have had a larger engine – flat six in the 718 vs the four cylinder S and a V8 in the Panamera and Cayenne while the S models had a V6. The new 911 GTS seems a bit more in line with that, offering an engine in a GTS that is fundamentally quite different.

I do think this could open up the prospect of a new GTS-like model with a manual though. Maybe that's the next T – based on the S with a little extra power in the vein of the current GTS.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: May 29, 2024, 09:05:23 am »

Yea, that's my problem.

I don't get the impression that efficiency was the primary motivator here. This is likely a step towards meeting every tightening EU regulations while still offering ridiculous performance. 0-60 in under three seconds is insane. and it will be interesting to see what the new Turbo will offer. I haven't heard anything about it but it wouldn't shock me if it's a variation of this motor with what, 700 hp or so?

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2028 on: May 29, 2024, 09:36:08 am »

Yea, that's my problem.

I don't get the impression that efficiency was the primary motivator here. This is likely a step towards meeting every tightening EU regulations while still offering ridiculous performance. 0-60 in under three seconds is insane. and it will be interesting to see what the new Turbo will offer. I haven't heard anything about it but it wouldn't shock me if it's a variation of this motor with what, 700 hp or so?
You don't get that it's built for efficiency?  They detuned the engine and limited a bunch of things in the name of keeping it in the optimal range.  I fully expect the performance to be slightly better, nothing crazy, but the difference in fuel economy and emissions will be where the major different between the old and new will be realized.

I'm starting to care less and less about Porsche and the 911.  The more they go EV/PHEV/Hybrid with no manuals the less I care to dream about them.  Not to mention the huge prices they are asking for them. 

If I won the lottery I'd still likely buy a new Porsche, but in 10 years time, probably not. 

Offline Woodrow

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: accord
« Reply #2029 on: May 29, 2024, 10:37:19 am »

Yea, that's my problem.

You don't get that it's built for efficiency?  They detuned the engine and limited a bunch of things in the name of keeping it in the optimal range.  I fully expect the performance to be slightly better, nothing crazy, but the difference in fuel economy and emissions will be where the major different between the old and new will be realized.

I'm starting to care less and less about Porsche and the 911.  The more they go EV/PHEV/Hybrid with no manuals the less I care to dream about them.  Not to mention the huge prices they are asking for them. 

If I won the lottery I'd still likely buy a new Porsche, but in 10 years time, probably not.

Everything is going this way. You likely will have to buy something in this current generation of cars (what's barely left) to get what you are asking for. Then it's gone forever.

In 10 years you're going to have a different perspective on cars. We all will. The landscape will be very different assuming we carry on this course.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: May 29, 2024, 10:38:53 am »

Yea, that's my problem.

If efficiency was the primary motivator they could have just made it a PHEV.

And from Car and Driver:

So why did they do the Lambda 1 business? Apparently, there's a Motor Authority regulation in place in Germany that has required Lambda 1 under all operating conditions. There are exceptions for certain high-performance engines where the power enrichment could be justified. But with the 9A3 engine, Porsche has decided to comply.

I wonder if they think that loophole will be going away?

Also from Car and Driver:

Presumably, the hybrid operation also delivers some fuel efficiency benefits, but Porsche has made no such claims thus far.

Interesting that they haven't mentioned fuel economy at all.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 10:41:08 am by OliverD »

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: May 29, 2024, 11:27:22 am »

Yea, that's my problem.

Everything is going this way. You likely will have to buy something in this current generation of cars (what's barely left) to get what you are asking for. Then it's gone forever.

In 10 years you're going to have a different perspective on cars. We all will. The landscape will be very different assuming we carry on this course.
In 10 years time I'll still be complaining about the lack of ICE manual cars, it will be the same.  I'll probably have a hybrid or two in the driveway, but my feelings on ICE manual cars will likely never change to a preference to electric automatic cars.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: May 29, 2024, 12:55:41 pm »

Yea, that's my problem.

In 10 years time I'll still be complaining about the lack of ICE manual cars, it will be the same.  I'll probably have a hybrid or two in the driveway, but my feelings on ICE manual cars will likely never change to a preference to electric automatic cars.
I was the same.

Until I drove a PDK.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: May 29, 2024, 01:14:50 pm »

Yea, that's my problem.

I was the same.

Until I drove a PDK.
I'm not saying that the PDK or automatics aren't superior in a lot of ways, I'm just stating my personal preference.  If anything I've learned in life, I get more set in my thinking the older I get.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: May 29, 2024, 01:27:51 pm »

Yea, that's my problem.

I was the same.

Until I drove a PDK.
I'm not saying that the PDK or automatics aren't superior in a lot of ways, I'm just stating my personal preference.  If anything I've learned in life, I get more set in my thinking the older I get.
Like I said, we were the same..2 of our 3 cars are sticks.

But my thought after driving a PDK in absence of a manual?  "This will do fine..just fine!! "

Also...I prefer the PDK over MANY manuals...since there are so few good or great manuals on the market.

I'd rather drive a PDK than a "meh" manual...whereas you'll drive a manual just for the sake of a manual.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: May 29, 2024, 02:11:25 pm »

Yea, that's my problem.

I was the same.

Until I drove a PDK.
Like I said, we were the same..2 of our 3 cars are sticks.

But my thought after driving a PDK in absence of a manual?  "This will do fine..just fine!! "

Also...I prefer the PDK over MANY manuals...since there are so few good or great manuals on the market.

I'd rather drive a PDK than a "meh" manual...whereas you'll drive a manual just for the sake of a manual.
There are definitely good and not so good manuals.  When talking about Porsche, they have some of the best manuals over the past couple of decades (not so much historically).  Ditto Honda, so as long as new manual ICE vehicles are available to buy, I'll keep purchasing them.  I doubt any health issues will creep in and make me unable to buy one for many many years. 

I'm going to assume at some point I'll buy a Grand Touring car and it'll likely be an automatic, I'll just be sure to have a manual daily driver to keep that itch scratched.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: May 29, 2024, 05:23:28 pm »

When talking about Porsche, they have some of the best manuals over the past couple of decades (.

Having owned 2 Porsche made within the last couple of decades (or so), I'd say you have no idea what you're talking about.

Both of the ones I owned were "meh". Because that's what happens when nearly the entire shifter mechanism is plastic.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #2037 on: May 29, 2024, 05:26:13 pm »

When talking about Porsche, they have some of the best manuals over the past couple of decades (.

Having owned 2 Porsche made within the last couple of decades (or so), I'd say you have no idea what you're talking about.

Both of the ones I owned were "meh". Because that's what happens when nearly the entire shifter mechanism is plastic.
The one in your Boxster wasn't too bad from what I remember. It had a nice positive engagement.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: May 29, 2024, 06:03:29 pm »

The one in your Boxster wasn't too bad from what I remember. It had a nice positive engagement.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
It wasn't too bad..but it wasn't good, either. And for a Porsche, I think it needs to be "good" at a minimum. Something is wrong when a Civic shifts better IMO.

There's a reason Numeric sells every shifter they can make for Porsches..
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 06:06:20 pm by rrocket »

Online Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #2039 on: May 30, 2024, 09:48:27 am »
I haven't driven one, but all the reviews of the 718 GTS say the manual is amazing (other than the long gearing), and I really hope that's the case since that's one of the main reasons for me making the change from the Vette.