Author Topic: Porsche buying thread  (Read 232494 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Porsche buying thread
« Reply #1900 on: January 17, 2024, 11:41:59 am »
Someone had a configuration fetish...then ordered a car.

Interesting. Not impressed with the exterior color though
Reminds of something we encountered at work a little while ago, so we do some audits on university grants.  One of the most common things we see are computers.  Anyway, we saw this desktop computer that was something like $3K, it was a Dell and I as a little perplexed that just a tower would cost that much money, so went on the Dell website and sure enough there it is for that amount.  Clicked on it and see that you can customize it.  So I clicked on all the most expensive options, you know how high that puppy range up to...over $200K.  Jesus Christ that's a lot of dough for a computer, so I put it in my online basket and left the website.  Figured I got someone at Dell all hot an horny that someone would be buying a $200K computer and then leave.  LOL

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1901 on: January 17, 2024, 11:48:31 am »

Reminds of something we encountered at work a little while ago, so we do some audits on university grants.  One of the most common things we see are computers.  Anyway, we saw this desktop computer that was something like $3K, it was a Dell and I as a little perplexed that just a tower would cost that much money, so went on the Dell website and sure enough there it is for that amount.  Clicked on it and see that you can customize it.  So I clicked on all the most expensive options, you know how high that puppy range up to...over $200K.  Jesus Christ that's a lot of dough for a computer, so I put it in my online basket and left the website.  Figured I got someone at Dell all hot an horny that someone would be buying a $200K computer and then leave.  LOL

A Mac Pro tower starts at $9k. Fully loaded is only $16k though.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: January 17, 2024, 05:17:52 pm »

We used to use video cards they cost $10k. Just the video card.

"Back in the day", it was nothing to have $50-$100k computers. And we'd have 10-20 of them. And the software alone was $25k per seat. And that was the cheap software.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #1903 on: January 17, 2024, 06:31:07 pm »

We used to use video cards they cost $10k. Just the video card.

"Back in the day", it was nothing to have $50-$100k computers. And we'd have 10-20 of them. And the software alone was $25k per seat. And that was the cheap software.

Those would be Quadros or Radeon Pros.  Equivalent hardware to that found on consumer cards, but the firmware they use is beefed up with more memory, and the firmware and drivers are tailored to enterprise use.  Doesn't really cost Nvidia any more to build the physical cards than the consumer equivalents, but because they're enterprise, $$$$$.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #1904 on: January 18, 2024, 09:03:34 am »
My auction went live on BaT yesterday, one day earlier than planned but things are off to a good start!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-porsche-930-turbo-84/

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1905 on: January 18, 2024, 09:21:34 am »
Despite my preference for bright colours I'm not really a yellow car guy. But it just works on certain 911 models and this is one of them. I also think 993 and 997 Turbos look great in yellow.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #1906 on: January 18, 2024, 09:39:43 am »
Despite my preference for bright colours I'm not really a yellow car guy. But it just works on certain 911 models and this is one of them. I also think 993 and 997 Turbos look great in yellow.

And this is Talbot Yellow, not the more common Signal Yellow. There's a quality to this paint that's hard to put in words...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 10:56:33 am by Blueprint »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1907 on: January 18, 2024, 10:33:00 am »
This car lived in Winnipeg and then went to Quebec? Nice auto, I assumed every used car from Quebec was formed from two that were welded together.  ;D I may have to change that preconception. The paint does look nice. Amazing what could be done before the advent of water borne modern stuff.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: January 18, 2024, 10:58:37 am »
This car lived in Winnipeg and then went to Quebec? Nice auto, I assumed every used car from Quebec was formed from two that were welded together.  ;D I may have to change that preconception. The paint does look nice. Amazing what could be done before the advent of water borne modern stuff.

Just learned it actually spent some time in a private collection in BC between Manitoba and QC. Many miles in shipping, but only about 1 mile of moving the car around since 2021. Sold new in Tulsa, went to California in 1986 then up to Canuckistan in 2005.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #1909 on: January 18, 2024, 02:06:53 pm »
My auction went live on BaT yesterday, one day earlier than planned but things are off to a good start!

On my Watch List.  Good luck!

:bounce:

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: January 18, 2024, 02:11:09 pm »

Make my day and flag Maxwell16 as non-constructive  ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: January 22, 2024, 08:29:26 pm »

Make my day and flag Maxwell16 as non-constructive  ;D

Thanks y'all  :rofl2: - he's gone!

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: January 22, 2024, 08:31:42 pm »
$80,930 and 48 hours to go - fun discussions! I was going to post about the only other Talbot 930 I had found, but the owner found my auction thread first!!

Anyone with a good Rennlist account out here? Any links/reference will help. I have more cool cars in the wing, but I need a sale to break the Canuck jinx  :P

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #1913 on: January 22, 2024, 09:46:56 pm »
$80,930 and 48 hours to go - fun discussions! I was going to post about the only other Talbot 930 I had found, but the owner found my auction thread first!!

Anyone with a good Rennlist account out here? Any links/reference will help. I have more cool cars in the wing, but I need a sale to break the Canuck jinx  :P

Had no idea you are in the car selling business. When did that happen? I see it's not your first rodeo on BaT.

Best of luck with your auction!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 10:10:53 pm by Dante »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: January 22, 2024, 10:18:50 pm »

Had no idea you are in the car selling business. When did that happen? I see it's not your first rodeo on BaT.

As mentioned in my first post, I got approached by local "car people" to represent them on BaT, so a new venture, yes. I frequent BaT for fun, always stayed positive in my posts in various threads so I built up a "brand", I guess. Car sells, I get a commission. Car doesn't sell, I wasted my time, as my wife would say  ;D.

I have access to other fun vehicles, including a Pagani, an R5 Turbo 2 (bare shell full resto), an original Speedster, etc. But I need to finally sell something to make the time investment worth it.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #1915 on: January 22, 2024, 10:35:58 pm »

As mentioned in my first post, I got approached by local "car people" to represent them on BaT, so a new venture, yes. I frequent BaT for fun, always stayed positive in my posts in various threads so I built up a "brand", I guess. Car sells, I get a commission. Car doesn't sell, I wasted my time, as my wife would say  ;D.

I have access to other fun vehicles, including a Pagani, an R5 Turbo 2 (bare shell full resto), an original Speedster, etc. But I need to finally sell something to make the time investment worth it.

Cool. Good luck in the new endeavor!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1916 on: January 23, 2024, 12:35:26 am »

So essentially you are a fluffer.   ;D 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: January 23, 2024, 07:56:33 pm »

So essentially you are a fluffer.   ;D

I'm bilingual and actually know about cars instead of financing and tax loopholes, unlike most owners I've met so far. They are dealers, not collectors. They clearly lack the passion to be on BaT, unlike our own @TheHire who did a terrific job!

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: January 23, 2024, 07:59:34 pm »
She's up to $82,500. Really crazy odds in the comments thread - the owner of the only other Talbot 930 I found in the US found my auction before I posted about his car. And another guy who owns two of these has one that was just two cars behind mine 45 years ago on the assembly line!!

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: January 23, 2024, 08:00:42 pm »
Less than 24 hrs left  :bounce: