Author Topic: Porsche buying thread  (Read 232491 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Porsche buying thread
« Reply #1880 on: January 10, 2024, 11:21:58 am »
Fun video on various dash controls on the air-coolers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlUnQDnHZh0

While taking pics of "my" 930, I found quite a few mysterious unlabeled switches - the video explains all of them, except the one that intrigued me most - my listing car has a round hole to the right of the steering column. On most web pics I see, there's a blank plug there, while some cars have something that's either a red button or a red light.

Anyone has an idea what it is for?

Round plug (web pic) :

And then here's a fan speed dial in this spot (accessory a/c or defroster?) :

Finally found the answer. It comes as a blank plug, and multiple accessories fit in there. In very early cars, it was the adjustement knob for intermittent wipers. Then it became the stereo's fader knob (my car had a Porsche Classic retrofit, so there you go), or the power antenna's knob, or the gas-fired Webasto heater's control knob and in later '80s car it was the location of the temp sensor for the climate control. Lots of functions for a single hole  ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: January 10, 2024, 11:37:15 am »
Bringing a 1979 930 Turbo to BaT soon for a client and I'll actually have to "wrench" on the thing. It's a US car that came with the mandatory 85 mph speedo from the factory, and at some point after 1986 it was changed to a 150 mph one. The mileage seems consistent with the paper trail, so it's either the original unit that was refaced or a new one where the odo was calibrated. The vehicle's 2nd owner is a Porsche/Ferrari dealer and I talked to him over the phone. He sold the car to the original owner in '79 and bought it back from him in 1984, before selling it again in '86. The speedos in these cars are super easy to pull out and he told me what to look for when I do so. Found a how-to vid and it seems quite simple, much more so than pulling the unit in my TR6. I'll get to the bottom of the speedo thing as it's pretty much the only squeletton in this car's otherwise very well documented closet. 930's could reach 90 mph on 2nd gear, so most if not all owners swapped the speedo when US laws allowed it.

The thing is pretty unique - one of the rarest Porsche paint codes (Talbot yellow - never seen in a BaT auction yet) paired with a very interesting leather colour...

Looks like Can Can Red.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: January 10, 2024, 11:50:16 am »
I had a base 996. Even had 17s. Only options were LSD and full leather interior.

A perfect spec! Was about 2900lbs or so.

A real great daily. Sounded great with the modified Fister muffler!

Was yours one of those weird very early build 996s? The ones that were handbuilt on the same production line that was still putting out 993s? Or did you have the "regular" '99 996 (which still had a bunch of notable differences from the later years).

My understanding is that those early 996s had the amber lenses and unique interior materials amongst other differences.
Mine was an early-ish build. I had the amber lenses front and back. And the dual row IMS bearing...which is the reason I wanted the early 996.

Here's a folder of photos

https://imageshack.com/a/uwK4/1

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: January 10, 2024, 12:04:23 pm »
Interior of my 86

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #1884 on: January 10, 2024, 12:06:28 pm »
Interior of my 86

Same interior colour as my 930, and you have the blank in my dash hole.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: January 10, 2024, 12:52:16 pm »
Then it is indeed Can Can Red

This is the BEST description about the old (1972! ), fairly terrible, vague, (but nostalgic) "915" transmission in my 86. Be sure to look at the map while reading the description. Funny. And bless the half dozen of the forum members here who ground the gears in my tranny (shifting too fast a la modern tranny) during their test drive.

"Shifting the 911? Let's look at the map. First gear is in Beverly Hills. Nice place. Second is in Rolling Hills Estates. It's a nice place, too, but it's going to take a while to get there — just be patient. Third is all the way the hell back up in Hollywood. Fourth — fourth is in San Pedro, but if you're not careful, you're going to wind up back in Rolling Hills Estates and you're gonna have a problem. Now for fifth. Fifth is in Upland. It's a hell of a long way to go. Much like Upland, the first time you go there, you start to wonder if you've gone too far, only to wind up there after you thought you couldn't possibly go any farther east. A little blip of the throttle ensures you drop it into gear without a second thought." — Kurt Niebuhr

https://maps.app.goo.gl/AWLr2SeCseZrKuYo9
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 12:54:17 pm by rrocket »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1886 on: January 10, 2024, 12:53:55 pm »

This is the BEST description about the old (1972! ), fairly terrible, vague, (but nostalgic) "915" transmission in my 86. Be sure to look at the map while reading the description. Funny.

"Shifting the 911? Let's look at the map. First gear is in Beverly Hills. Nice place. Second is in Rolling Hills Estates. It's a nice place, too, but it's going to take a while to get there — just be patient. Third is all the way the hell back up in Hollywood. Fourth — fourth is in San Pedro, but if you're not careful, you're going to wind up back in Rolling Hills Estates and you're gonna have a problem. Now for fifth. Fifth is in Upland. It's a hell of a long way to go. Much like Upland, the first time you go there, you start to wonder if you've gone too far, only to wind up there after you thought you couldn't possibly go any farther east. A little blip of the throttle ensures you drop it into gear without a second thought." — Kurt Niebuhr

lol. That shifter bag is...awful.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: January 10, 2024, 12:56:28 pm »

This is the BEST description about the old (1972! ), fairly terrible, vague, (but nostalgic) "915" transmission in my 86. Be sure to look at the map while reading the description. Funny.

;D

The original series 930 has a 4-speed only. The car could hit 90 mph in 2nd, but came with a mandatory 85 mph speedo in the US. As for lift-throttle oversteer, the car is nicknamed "the Widowmaker". Predicting when the boost comes on is how these things won races! Drivers had to floor the 935 during cornering to time the full-on boost with the corner exit.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1888 on: January 10, 2024, 01:18:12 pm »
I'm surprised there are 930s still left.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #1889 on: January 10, 2024, 01:47:50 pm »

This is the BEST description about the old (1972! ), fairly terrible, vague, (but nostalgic) "915" transmission in my 86. Be sure to look at the map while reading the description. Funny. And bless the half dozen of the forum members here who ground the gears in my tranny (shifting too fast a la modern tranny) during their test drive.

The '85 Carrera CS I drove last summer didn't need nearly the same sort of slow, deliberate pauses between cogs that your '86 Targa did.  ;) 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: January 10, 2024, 01:52:01 pm »

The '85 Carrera CS I drove last summer didn't need nearly the same sort of slow, deliberate pauses between cogs that your '86 Targa did.  ;)
I'm guessing after mine, you remembered how to do it correctly. :) Or you had ground though metal for a lifetime.  You aren't the first to blame my particular tranny. But both places that touched my car said it was "one of the better ones".  I wish you could have driven it AFTER I put the new shifter, bushings, coupler, etc in. That same guy said my enhancements made it "one of the best" he's driven.

In fairness to you, I think you only ground it once or twice.

A quick study.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 01:55:53 pm by rrocket »

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #1891 on: January 10, 2024, 01:54:37 pm »

I'm guessing after mine, you remembered how to do it correctly. :)

A quick study.

LOL...  Could be!  I have tremendous mechanical sympathy, and with such a love for Porsches, every grind in yours was like an electric shock, haha.

TheHire had an...  '84? Targa that I drove briefly, and I do recall being quite deliberate with doing slow shifts... then the knob came off in my hand.   ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: January 10, 2024, 02:06:47 pm »

A quick study.

LOL...  Could be!  I have tremendous mechanical sympathy, and with such a love for Porsches, every grind in yours was like an electric shock, haha.

TheHire had an...  '84? Targa that I drove briefly, and I do recall being quite deliberate with doing slow shifts... then the knob came off in my hand.   ;D
Yea. It's the slight pause between gears. Basically treat the neutral like a gear. Instead of 1-2, you go 1-neutral-2.  Poor Snowman Rob just couldn't adjust to that! LOL [emoji38]

Once used to it, you can get through the gears pretty quickly without grinding...as you did.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #1893 on: January 11, 2024, 02:02:17 pm »

A quick study.

'79, but yeah. I get and love the appeal of the SC/G-Body 915 transmission cars but that gearbox is just no fun to me. It feels more like tedious work that I don't enjoy, while the G50 in the 964+ cars is the right kind of "work" for me. Different strokes for different folks, obviously.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #1894 on: January 12, 2024, 11:31:38 am »

A quick study.

'79, but yeah. I get and love the appeal of the SC/G-Body 915 transmission cars but that gearbox is just no fun to me. It feels more like tedious work that I don't enjoy, while the G50 in the 964+ cars is the right kind of "work" for me. Different strokes for different folks, obviously.

That's why the '87 -89 911 is a sweet spot for me -- still looks like a proper 911 (before the 964's Tupperware bumpers), but got the G50 trans.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1895 on: January 17, 2024, 08:19:04 am »
Occasionally you find a Porsche that is just absurdly specced. This one takes the cake IMO. This is a base Carrera 4 with $79,510 in options.  :o

Aventurine Green Metallic over Graphite Blue/Cohiba Brown (that interior is $19,530 on its own). Premium, sport, and sport design packages, front axle lift, and the Burmester stereo are a few of the other high dollar options.

https://finder.porsche.com/ca/en-CA/details/porsche-911-carrera-4-preowned-N2G7KL

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: January 17, 2024, 08:36:26 am »
Someone had a configuration fetish...then ordered a car.

Interesting. Not impressed with the exterior color though

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: January 17, 2024, 08:39:17 am »
Someone had a configuration fetish...then ordered a car.

Interesting. Not impressed with the exterior color though

I like the colour. There's also a very nice Panamera Sport Turismo available in this colour right now with colour matched wheels.

https://finder.porsche.com/ca/en-CA/details/porsche-panamera-4s-sport-turismo-new-VDR73K

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #1898 on: January 17, 2024, 08:45:12 am »
I like Aventurine too; had a press car back when the 992 came out in it. Presents way better in person than in photos. Those wheels though… nope.

Sometimes these weird spec cars turn up because they were ordered for the press fleet or a Porsche employee given free rein to order a demo however they want, and then for whatever reason plans change and the cars end up for sale. I’ve seen some weird ones. Aston Martin once ordered a Ronald McDonald spec Vantage roadster for the New York Auto Show. Thing was a terrifying yellow with a red convertible top and (don’t quote me on this part) a dark green or so interior. Automatic trans too. This one is neat because Firm’s younger brother now owns it and it’s still kicking around with over 100K on the odo.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: January 17, 2024, 08:53:26 am »
A friend of mine's uncle used to have an oddly specced base Carrera back near the time the 991 first came out. He bought it used and I want to say it was GT silver (a premium colour at the time) and had a bunch of expensive options like the Aerokit.

I've also heard of a base Cayman with PCCBs and a bunch of other options.