Author Topic: Porsche buying thread  (Read 233362 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Porsche buying thread
« Reply #1060 on: September 24, 2021, 09:55:03 am »
A conversation with Pfaff has been initiated...
Oh, fingers crossed it works out for you.  Can't wait to hear the details.  Could this be the year that two of our members actually buy two Porsche sports cars?  Exciting stuff.

Just a conversation for now, and it definitely won't be this year given supply issues. But I figured better to start and see where things go...I'm patient and can wait.
Oh so just getting your ducks in a row.  Maybe giving them a wish list of what you are looking for and if something comes in you'll be the first they call?  Something like that, or are you going new?  Did the fact that the 718 is going EV in 4 years time force your hand?

I'm thinking new. Cayman GTS 4.0 so a factory order...we'll see

And yes, the EV announcement was a small factor to pushing my ass off the couch and actually doing something...though again at this point its just emails :)

Aren't you supposed to write a poem giving clues instead of just giving it away?  :rofl:

I'm curious to hear what the process is, wait time, etc.  My vet was telling me he's on a wait list for a GT3 (which explains the cost of the dog's neuter!)

Lol...you want a poem, look elsewhere.

In terms of wait times, here is a quote:

"Right now the wait time on an order could be 9 months to a year or more.  It’s best to get an order in place and I can work on getting you a production spot in 2022." 

But you know what? I noticed time flies and it will be end of 2022 before we know it...
Gives you lots of time to build up your nest egg and get your ducks in a row.  I think you are smart for going with a factory order, get what you want, the way you want it.  The waiting part kind of sucks but it's all part of the game.  I'll likely be in a similar boat next year, ordering something 1-2 years in advance.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #1061 on: September 24, 2021, 10:04:16 am »
Oh, fingers crossed it works out for you.  Can't wait to hear the details.  Could this be the year that two of our members actually buy two Porsche sports cars?  Exciting stuff.

Just a conversation for now, and it definitely won't be this year given supply issues. But I figured better to start and see where things go...I'm patient and can wait.
Oh so just getting your ducks in a row.  Maybe giving them a wish list of what you are looking for and if something comes in you'll be the first they call?  Something like that, or are you going new?  Did the fact that the 718 is going EV in 4 years time force your hand?

And yes, the EV announcement was a small factor to pushing my ass off the couch and actually doing something...though again at this point its just emails :)

Aren't you supposed to write a poem giving clues instead of just giving it away?  :rofl:

I'm curious to hear what the process is, wait time, etc.  My vet was telling me he's on a wait list for a GT3 (which explains the cost of the dog's neuter!)

"Right now the wait time on an order could be 9 months to a year or more.  It’s best to get an order in place and I can work on getting you a production spot in 2022." 

But you know what? I noticed time flies and it will be end of 2022 before we know it...
Gives you lots of time to build up your nest egg and get your ducks in a row.  I think you are smart for going with a factory order, get what you want, the way you want it.  The waiting part kind of sucks but it's all part of the game.  I'll likely be in a similar boat next year, ordering something 1-2 years in advance.

That's the idea. I need to send them a configuration code...I'm sure disappointment will ensue when they see a minimal optioned car :)
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #1062 on: September 24, 2021, 10:06:38 am »

That's the idea. I need to send them a configuration code...I'm sure disappointment will ensue when they see a minimal optioned car :)
Meh, you want what you want.  I'm interested to see how the process works and if they try to upsell you into more options.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #1063 on: September 24, 2021, 10:11:02 am »

Meh, you want what you want.  I'm interested to see how the process works and if they try to upsell you into more options.

I'm curious myself too...but I can at least point to a natural cap: $100,000. Otherwise the new luxury tax kicks in, unless I misunderstood how it works.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: September 24, 2021, 10:20:07 am »
Well basically the way the luxury tax works is you only pay after that $100K point, so if it's $110,000 you are only paying on that $10K over the $100K mark.  So it's not as bad as what a lot of people think.  Of course the further up you go the more punitive the tax gets, but where you'll be skating the cost will be minimal.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1065 on: September 24, 2021, 11:41:09 am »
Yeah, the supply issues right now are crazy.

Total new 718s in stock in all of Canada: 2
Total new 911s in stock in all of Canada: 0

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 24, 2021, 11:46:18 am »
Well basically the way the luxury tax works is you only pay after that $100K point, so if it's $110,000 you are only paying on that $10K over the $100K mark.  So it's not as bad as what a lot of people think.  Of course the further up you go the more punitive the tax gets, but where you'll be skating the cost will be minimal.

Thanks! Yes, I just assumed the 10% would be applied on the entire amount. That's good news, I think.

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #1067 on: September 24, 2021, 11:48:58 am »

Here you go ... saved you the bother .. No charge for service, just the occasional test drive :)

PNV3HNC5

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #1068 on: September 24, 2021, 11:55:07 am »

That is crazy. Good thing there are 49 Cayennes and 128 Macans available.  ;D

Noticed there is 1 Panamera Turbo S Sport Turismo available if you have a spare $266K.  :o

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 24, 2021, 11:55:44 am »

Here you go ... saved you the bother .. No charge for service, just the occasional test drive :)

PNV3HNC5

Not bad. This is the one I'm currently looking at:

PNJI2876

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #1070 on: September 24, 2021, 12:04:24 pm »

One of those 718's is in Winnipeg: https://finder.porsche.com/ca/en_CA/kiosk/search/list?modelSeriesKeys=718%2C911&porscheCenterKeys=12192&sortBy=price.value&sortDir=asc&vehicleFilterType=NEW

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #1071 on: September 24, 2021, 12:17:44 pm »

PNV3HNC5

Not bad. This is the one I'm currently looking at:

PNJI2876

What can I say, we have great taste. If my $'s, I would find it very hard to choose between the (better track/sports car / all weather) Cayman or the (open top fun of the) Boxster.

Enjoy configurating!

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #1072 on: September 24, 2021, 12:23:48 pm »
You both have good taste.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #1073 on: September 24, 2021, 12:25:36 pm »
So, HS, I know you went over the reasons why in your testdrive thread,  but remind me again, what is swaying you to the Cayman over the Boxster?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 24, 2021, 12:46:34 pm »
I know it's your car and all...

But if I was factory ordering, as a once in a lifetime thing, a "forever car"  I'd do the following:

1) Porsche Paint to Sample Program. They'll paint your car ANY color. Any color any Porsche has been painted..it even can be your favorite crayon color. LOL [emoji38] Whatever you can dream up.

2) Porsche European Delivery Program. You and the wife go to Europe. Visit the factory, see the car roll off the assembly line. They give you the keys. You then get to tour Europe in your car. When done, you give them the keys...and they ship the car to your dealer as they normally would.

That's what I would do!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 12:48:25 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 24, 2021, 12:46:43 pm »
So, HS, I know you went over the reasons why in your testdrive thread,  but remind me again, what is swaying you to the Cayman over the Boxster?
If memory serves, he drove a 718 Boxster that had the 4 cylinder one year, and then this past year he drove the 718 Cayman GTS with the 4L 6 cylinder.  He preferred the Cayman GTS, plus if he's anything like me, it's cheaper so it gets the nod.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 24, 2021, 12:48:19 pm »

But if I was factory ordering, as a once in a lifetime thing, a "forever car"  I'd do the following:

1) Porsche Paint to Sample Program. They'll paint your car ANY color. Any color any Porsche has been painted..it even your favorite crayon color. Whatever you can dream up.

2) Porsche European Delivery Program. You and the wife go to Europe. Visit the factory, see the car roll off the assembly line. They give you the keys. You then get to tour Europe in your car. When done, you give them the keys...and they ship the car to your dealer as they normally would.

That's what I would do!
Ha, and how much exactly would one be charged for the special paint and the trip?  I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $20k?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 24, 2021, 12:52:51 pm »

1) Porsche Paint to Sample Program. They'll paint your car ANY color. Any color any Porsche has been painted..it even your favorite crayon color. Whatever you can dream up.

That's what I would do!
Ha, and how much exactly would one be charged for the special paint and the trip?  I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $20k?
In for a penny..in for a pound for a once in a lifetime opportunity!

I mean...I'll NEVER be able to factory order a new Porsche. So if I could...this is the way I'd do it.

At the least, I'd do #2

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #1078 on: September 24, 2021, 12:58:12 pm »

That's what I would do!

I mean...I'll NEVER be able to factory order a new Porsche. So if I could...this is the way I'd do it.

At the least, I'd do #2

Agreed, not sure I'd do the paint but if I was buying a Porker brand new I'd do factory pick up for sure.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #1079 on: September 24, 2021, 01:34:05 pm »

That's what I would do!

At the least, I'd do #2

Agreed, not sure I'd do the paint but if I was buying a Porker brand new I'd do factory pick up for sure.
Me too. It would be the only way I could get Mrs. Railton to visit Germany. :)
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?