Author Topic: Porsche buying thread  (Read 233205 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Porsche buying thread
« Reply #880 on: July 21, 2021, 11:59:06 am »
In your opinion, is the upcharge for the GTS over the S worth it?  I know the 4 cylinder is good, but I just can't get past spending that much money on a 4 cylinder engine vehicle.  For me it's 6 cylinder or nothing.

So what is next for renting?  You going to try for a 911 next time?

Did this at all change your timeline on getting your own Porsche?

Based on my two rental days and countless hours spent on the configurator and on auto trader, I think the sweet spot is either a new base Cayman / Boxster or new Cayman / Boxster GTS. With one caveat: lightly or zero optioned.

Here's my logic. If you look at used 718 Boxsters / Caymans, prices are craze with base models going into the 80s and 90s. GTS stuff is in the 100s. However, you can smartly option a new base 718 Cayman for $70,000 or $74,000 for a Boxster. You get all the Porsche goodness in a nice package. Look at autotrader, 3-4 year old 718s are no less than high $60s

Furthermore, GTS models can be had just shy of $100K new. And they have all the goodies on them already (wheels, sports exhaust, great interior, lower, etc.). This car would likely still sell for close to $100K in a few years.

The S cars don't make sense, financially.

At least that's my logic.

I think used price are reflecting COVID insanity still. In a normal world nobody buy a base spec Porsche, you get dinged too much on resale.

Interested in Jeff's opinion on this.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #881 on: July 21, 2021, 12:04:44 pm »
In your opinion, is the upcharge for the GTS over the S worth it?  I know the 4 cylinder is good, but I just can't get past spending that much money on a 4 cylinder engine vehicle.  For me it's 6 cylinder or nothing.

Based on my two rental days and countless hours spent on the configurator and on auto trader, I think the sweet spot is either a new base Cayman / Boxster or new Cayman / Boxster GTS. With one caveat: lightly or zero optioned.

Here's my logic. If you look at used 718 Boxsters / Caymans, prices are craze with base models going into the 80s and 90s. GTS stuff is in the 100s. However, you can smartly option a new base 718 Cayman for $70,000 or $74,000 for a Boxster. You get all the Porsche goodness in a nice package. Look at autotrader, 3-4 year old 718s are no less than high $60s

Furthermore, GTS models can be had just shy of $100K new. And they have all the goodies on them already (wheels, sports exhaust, great interior, lower, etc.). This car would likely still sell for close to $100K in a few years.

I think used price are reflecting COVID insanity still. In a normal world nobody buy a base spec Porsche, you get dinged too much on resale.

Not just COVID. Even pre COVID used prices reflected higher spec'd models.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #882 on: July 21, 2021, 01:07:27 pm »

You know if you were okay with the base engine I'd like go with the 718 T, I think those are specced pretty well and offer a good amount of value in price.  But again for me personally I just couldn't get past the lack of a 6 cylinder.  The GTS is the one to get in my opinion, right engine, right options standard, excellent balance of luxury and performance.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #883 on: July 21, 2021, 01:28:52 pm »

That's common sense, but not what I meant. I meant that base models with no options wouldn't sell at all, although obviously everyone has a price.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #884 on: July 21, 2021, 01:33:15 pm »

You know if you were okay with the base engine I'd like go with the 718 T, I think those are specced pretty well and offer a good amount of value in price.  But again for me personally I just couldn't get past the lack of a 6 cylinder.  The GTS is the one to get in my opinion, right engine, right options standard, excellent balance of luxury and performance.

Just to be clear, I haven't driven the base turbo 4, only the previous GTS turbo 4. So I'm somewhat extrapolating. But I contend if someone is ok with the sound ( and I am), then a lightly spec'd base, with manual, would make a great simple sports car. With little depreciation.

I would bucket the T with the S, in that if you're spending in the the 80s and higher, might as well stretch to the base GTS, which I agree is another sweet spot.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: July 21, 2021, 01:35:36 pm »

That's common sense, but not what I meant. I meant that base models with no options wouldn't sell at all, although obviously everyone has a price.

See I would disagree with this point. I think these would be more desirable given the lower entry point price wise. A base manual Boxster for $50, yes. A fully loaded based PDK Boxster for $80, no.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #886 on: July 21, 2021, 01:36:27 pm »

Just to be clear, I haven't driven the base turbo 4, only the previous GTS turbo 4. So I'm somewhat extrapolating. But I contend if someone is ok with the sound ( and I am), then a lightly spec'd base, with manual, would make a great simple sports car. With little depreciation.

I would bucket the T with the S, in that if you're spending in the the 80s and higher, might as well stretch to the base GTS, which I agree is another sweet spot.
Ha, I like how you say if you are considering a Porsche in the 80's you might as well spend the extra and get the base GTS.  Personally I have a maximum budget of $90K for my next vehicle, maybe $95K if it's AWD and can be run in the winter time (these are pre-tax but destination in $$).  So for me, stretching from a base 718S to a GTS is a BIG step.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 21, 2021, 01:50:31 pm »

See I would disagree with this point. I think these would be more desirable given the lower entry point price wise. A base manual Boxster for $50, yes. A fully loaded based PDK Boxster for $80, no.

I know it sounds silly, but it would happen. Buyers would assume that you're penny pinching and want/need some of the basic options like leather seats, powers seats, premium audio etc. A poverty spec base boxster is a great car don't get me wrong, it just doesn't appeal to a lot of people. It's like the shields on the side of a Ferrari, woe betide you if you don't get those for an additional $2K!  :rofl2:

https://teamspeed.com/forums/modern-day-classics-ferrari-general-news/25370-random-thought-why-buy-ferrari-without-fender-shields.html

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 21, 2021, 02:09:59 pm »

I know it sounds silly, but it would happen. Buyers would assume that you're penny pinching and want/need some of the basic options like leather seats, powers seats, premium audio etc. A poverty spec base boxster is a great car don't get me wrong, it just doesn't appeal to a lot of people. It's like the shields on the side of a Ferrari, woe betide you if you don't get those for an additional $2K!  :rofl2:

https://teamspeed.com/forums/modern-day-classics-ferrari-general-news/25370-random-thought-why-buy-ferrari-without-fender-shields.html
You realize that 90% of the population can't tell the difference between a base model Cayman and a 911 GT3.  People see a badge and they immediately think it's a cool car or that you are rich.  Only car people know or care about trim level and options in a Porsche.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 21, 2021, 02:41:49 pm »

You realize that 90% of the population can't tell the difference between a base model Cayman and a 911 GT3.  People see a badge and they immediately think it's a cool car or that you are rich.  Only car people know or care about trim level and options in a Porsche.

I'm not talking about 90% of the population, I'm talking about buyers.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #890 on: July 21, 2021, 03:33:18 pm »

It partly depends on how you plan to option the car I guess. The T makes sense if you're already interested in the more sport-oriented options and you still save something like $15k over the equivalent GTS.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #891 on: July 21, 2021, 03:49:22 pm »
I'm with Hannibal on this. Base model turbo 4 or GTS. My STI is just about paid off, only at 50k over 5 yrs and no issues (pandemic really put a dent on driving time). Don't plan on ever selling it unless something catastrophic happens. My son will likely inherit it when he starts driving in about 6yrs, at which point I hope to be in a position to be making the true sports car purchase. Our upcoming new MDX would be paid off for a few years by then too...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 21, 2021, 03:59:11 pm »
Oh man, just spec'd up my ideal Boxster, the 25 Years edition with $26K of options. Oh baby!

Even at $136K, I think this is such a wonderful car... A future classic IMHO.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 21, 2021, 04:09:40 pm »
I'd go for a Python Green GTS 4.0 myself.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #894 on: July 22, 2021, 07:42:18 am »
I'd be 100% in the Cayman camp.  A virtually-no-options GTS stick shift would be the sweet spot for me. 

The 4-cylinder 718 surprised me.  It does sound better than I had expected, and it sure goes like hell, but it just didn't sound like a Porsche should.  It could've been a Golf R with a fun exhaust.  These days it seems anything with a Porsche crest commands silly money, and the pandemic has only made it absolutely ludicrous.  A year and a half ago a nice Cayman S could've been found for low 20s.  Now it's a low 30s car.  What will it be next year?  Hopefully maybe mid 20s again.  Even base model and low trim cars seem to have no trouble finding buyers these days.  Finding them properly maintained is a far bigger sticking point for buyers than how optioned up they are.  That said, there are a few things -- like proper leather -- that people seem to expect and I think if you cheaped out on that, it might turn off some future buyers.  But all the over-the-top customization (or the 'special' models -- like Bob's 25th Anniversary Edition) rarely seem to command the resale people might hope. 

Curiously though -- and maybe it's me just trying to justify my station in life -- I really don't think I'd get 4x the enjoyment out of a new Cayman GTS than say, a 12-or-so-year-old Cayman S that I can modify a bit to be exactly as I'd want it.  It's still 'exotic' looking and sounding, it still offers relatively modern Porsche driving experiences, and it's plenty quick enough to be thoroughly fun -- especially here in Ontario where even 40 over in an 80 zone (very easily done) gets your car impounded. 

Winding out that 4.0 engine is glorious, but without a track, you'l never see the top end of even second gear these days.  :( 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: July 22, 2021, 08:07:53 am »
I'd be 100% in the Cayman camp.  A virtually-no-options GTS stick shift would be the sweet spot for me. 

The 4-cylinder 718 surprised me.  It does sound better than I had expected, and it sure goes like hell, but it just didn't sound like a Porsche should.  It could've been a Golf R with a fun exhaust.  These days it seems anything with a Porsche crest commands silly money, and the pandemic has only made it absolutely ludicrous.  A year and a half ago a nice Cayman S could've been found for low 20s.  Now it's a low 30s car.  What will it be next year?  Hopefully maybe mid 20s again.  Even base model and low trim cars seem to have no trouble finding buyers these days.  Finding them properly maintained is a far bigger sticking point for buyers than how optioned up they are.  That said, there are a few things -- like proper leather -- that people seem to expect and I think if you cheaped out on that, it might turn off some future buyers.  But all the over-the-top customization (or the 'special' models -- like Bob's 25th Anniversary Edition) rarely seem to command the resale people might hope. 

Curiously though -- and maybe it's me just trying to justify my station in life -- I really don't think I'd get 4x the enjoyment out of a new Cayman GTS than say, a 12-or-so-year-old Cayman S that I can modify a bit to be exactly as I'd want it.  It's still 'exotic' looking and sounding, it still offers relatively modern Porsche driving experiences, and it's plenty quick enough to be thoroughly fun -- especially here in Ontario where even 40 over in an 80 zone (very easily done) gets your car impounded. 

Winding out that 4.0 engine is glorious, but without a track, you'l never see the top end of even second gear these days.  :(
There is a lot of logic to that for sure.  I don't look at these type of vehicles as an investment, unless you count happiness and enjoyment.  Some people might go as far to say that getting a Mazda Miata would be all the enjoyment they can fully realize on the road.  Personally, I just prefer buying new vehicles, I like warranty, I like to know with certainty how the vehicle is maintained and treated, and I like lower interest rates.  But there are obviously trade offs.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #896 on: July 22, 2021, 08:26:02 am »
The Mentor has a Boxster, and I like the specs: non-"S" 6-cylinder previous-gen with stick and loaded with options. Fast but not you-need-a-track fast. White with tan interior if memory serves me well.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: July 22, 2021, 08:31:04 am »
These days it seems anything with a Porsche crest commands silly money, and the pandemic has only made it absolutely ludicrous.  A year and a half ago a nice Cayman S could've been found for low 20s.  Now it's a low 30s car.  What will it be next year?  Hopefully maybe mid 20s again.

I'm not sure that the Cayman S was really ever that cheap. I do remember finding ones in the $20s but those were mostly less desirable (really high KMs, automatics, etc).

I understand the values though. They're highly desirable to enthusiasts and quite rare. There's 25 manual Caymans on AutoTrader and eight of those are GT4s.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: July 22, 2021, 08:40:38 am »

New low option GTS = $100K. Used Cayman S = $50K. Sell low option GTS in 4 years for what? 80K. So you drive a new car, warranty, worry free, for $20K. My math is probably all wrong, but I don't think too far off. Now, the issue is price of entry, both in $ and in actually securing the car.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #899 on: July 22, 2021, 10:36:34 am »
Blame it on age, and my usual thing for underdogs, but I always had a crush on the 924S. It combines the 924's pure lines with 944 power and phone dials - plus, prices are still reasonnable.

Just listen to the driving video for this one:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-porsche-924s-25/