Author Topic: Porsche buying thread  (Read 233487 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Porsche buying thread
« Reply #360 on: August 29, 2020, 10:57:01 am »
My latest "if I was buying new, somewhat reasonable, save for a few more years, 911" :

http://www.porsche-code.com/PM5JQHW1

No matter how much time I've spent on that configurator and how many builds I've done, I'm always shocked at the final price versus where you started!  I've never been a huge 911 fan, I just don't love the looks enough to justify the cost, although I've never had the chance to drive one and I'm sure I'd love it.  Since getting the Macan though I've really come around to understanding the Porsche costs, both in the drive and just how impressive the entire thing is put together.  Everything you see, touch and the driving feel is just above anything else I've driven.  One of the most notable things about it is how it's like an absolute vault inside, but I keep going back and forth as to whether it's a pro or a con.  It makes for a very relaxing drive, but I can't even hear that amazing exhaust that's so loud outside of it, even under hard acceleration.  It keeps making me wonder if a 911 is like that as well?  I can understand the benefits of it in an SUV, but I sure wouldn't want that in sports car!

The only downside of a 911 is that it's so capable as a daily driver too. And if driving it daily, it soon becomes the norm, as with any car.  I would find it hard to get a 'normal' 911, drive it a lot, and not get bored with it. Something a bit rawer like a GT3/2 would be amazing though.

I used to work with a guy that drove his 911 daily, and chatted with him a lot about it, he loved it at first, but then just got bored of it, and ended up selling. At the same time I also got used to the Exige the same way, I used to drive it 2hrs every day. Eventually I got another car to daily just to keep the Exige feeling special.  It made jumping back into the Exige the event I remembered buying it for. Dailying anything can dull the senses, a two car solution is always best.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #361 on: August 29, 2020, 12:06:48 pm »
My latest "if I was buying new, somewhat reasonable, save for a few more years, 911" :

No matter how much time I've spent on that configurator and how many builds I've done, I'm always shocked at the final price versus where you started!  I've never been a huge 911 fan, I just don't love the looks enough to justify the cost, although I've never had the chance to drive one and I'm sure I'd love it.  Since getting the Macan though I've really come around to understanding the Porsche costs, both in the drive and just how impressive the entire thing is put together.  Everything you see, touch and the driving feel is just above anything else I've driven.  One of the most notable things about it is how it's like an absolute vault inside, but I keep going back and forth as to whether it's a pro or a con.  It makes for a very relaxing drive, but I can't even hear that amazing exhaust that's so loud outside of it, even under hard acceleration.  It keeps making me wonder if a 911 is like that as well?  I can understand the benefits of it in an SUV, but I sure wouldn't want that in sports car!

My wife hasn't driven our Cayenne all summer and finally did today.   Even though it's 14 years old now she still just commented about how luxurious and solid it feels to drive again and that is really is different.

My 911 is of a different era, it feels raw and mechanical and loud.   Everything is communicated.   
Of course mind you, it has half the interior out, roll bars, racing seats and harnesses, racing tires and suspension, oh, and the exhaust is loud enough to set off car alarms when I drive by.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #362 on: August 29, 2020, 01:33:20 pm »

My 911 is of a different era, it feels raw and mechanical and loud.   Everything is communicated.   
Of course mind you, it has half the interior out, roll bars, racing seats and harnesses, racing tires and suspension, oh, and the exhaust is loud enough to set off car alarms when I drive by.

I can’t be the only one here that would love to see a picture of blur911’s 911. Pretty please.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #363 on: August 29, 2020, 01:43:46 pm »

I can’t be the only one here that would love to see a picture of blur911’s 911. Pretty please.
Watch him do a 180 here...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eautos%2Eca%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D106580%2E0&share_tid=106580&share_fid=9213&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #364 on: August 29, 2020, 02:35:41 pm »

Here's a couple I found, haven't had many photos of it lately.  I have lots on Photobucket, but they no longer allow hosting

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 02:46:02 pm by blur911 »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #365 on: August 29, 2020, 04:32:44 pm »
^^ Awesome thanks! Love it and nice lapping.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #366 on: August 29, 2020, 04:44:26 pm »
Looks like Peter Bleakney's next article will be this little number.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #367 on: August 29, 2020, 05:27:10 pm »

Here's a couple I found, haven't had many photos of it lately.  I have lots on Photobucket, but they no longer allow hosting

Nice, love that rear wing!

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #368 on: August 29, 2020, 09:38:50 pm »

Watch him do a 180 here...

I love the giggle that follows the 180.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 29, 2020, 10:06:59 pm »

My wife hasn't driven our Cayenne all summer and finally did today.   Even though it's 14 years old now she still just commented about how luxurious and solid it feels to drive again and that is really is different.

I'm not an SUV guy, but I'm continually impressed by the Cayenne. In my PCA magazines, people have gone everywhere, used them hard and put a bazillion miles on these with relatively minimal drama and repairs.

Porsches most reliable vehicle...and cheapest to own I'd say.

A used one would be a great family vehicle without spending a ton of dough IMO (apart from MPG)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #370 on: September 01, 2020, 04:01:33 pm »
Love the colour on this GT3.

In case anybody wants to buy it and let me take it for a spin.

https://finder.porsche.com/ca/en_CA/911-GT3-196412

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 01, 2020, 04:10:59 pm »

Wow, I thought that would be way more expensive. What an amazing car! I'd love one.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 01, 2020, 04:16:27 pm »
OK, found my fave Porsche...

Christ almighty, I'd sell organs for that.

https://finder.porsche.com/ca/en_CA/911-Speedster-183413

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #375 on: September 01, 2020, 04:37:04 pm »

Wow, I thought that would be way more expensive. What an amazing car! I'd love one.

I can't make any sense of used Porsche pricing as they are all over the place.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #377 on: September 01, 2020, 05:23:21 pm »

It's a 991.1 GT3, they've dropped in price significantly since the 991.2 came out. And now those are sub $200k cars as well.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 01, 2020, 05:34:57 pm »
I think I would just pay someone to find what I wanted for me. I too have no clue.

I'll do it for free.   ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 01, 2020, 05:37:58 pm »

What an amazing car! I'd love one.

One of the best and best sounding engines you can buy.  9,000 rpm wail.

Incredible car!