Author Topic: Porsche buying thread  (Read 233596 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: Porsche buying thread
« Reply #220 on: June 22, 2020, 10:34:00 am »
Looking into this - i'm intrigued.

Says "Primary insurance has to be provided by the customer". Does that mean it should be covered by my existing policy/credit card? I'm pretty sure either one has a maximum vehicle value stipulation.

I believe so but I'll have to dig into the details. Plus, I just remembered there is a $5000 hold / deposit on your credit card.
If you have the rental car insurance rider that's good but the Ins. co. puts a limit to the value of the rental car.
I forget the number but I think it is only about $50K US. I also remember that they use to say trucks were void. Not a concern in this case.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #221 on: June 22, 2020, 11:04:13 am »

Says "Primary insurance has to be provided by the customer". Does that mean it should be covered by my existing policy/credit card? I'm pretty sure either one has a maximum vehicle value stipulation.

I believe so but I'll have to dig into the details. Plus, I just remembered there is a $5000 hold / deposit on your credit card.
If you have the rental car insurance rider that's good but the Ins. co. puts a limit to the value of the rental car.
I forget the number but I think it is only about $50K US. I also remember that they use to say trucks were void. Not a concern in this case.
Railton

Texted them the question and here is the answer (they replied right away):

Insurance is included with all Porsche Drive Subscriptions. All approved drivers are covered by Porsche Drive insurance policy. Policy highlights:
- $1,000,000 liability coverage (combined single limit)
- $300,000 uninsured motorist (combined)
- $2,000 medical payments to offset any out of pocket or deductible costs

Can't believe how responsive they are...pretty good
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline PoweredSilenceGT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-75
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 22, 2020, 01:31:19 pm »

Railton

Insurance is included with all Porsche Drive Subscriptions. All approved drivers are covered by Porsche Drive insurance policy. Policy highlights:

Thanks for following up, but I thought you got (and what i'm interested in) is the Porsche Drive - Rental as opposed to the Porsche Drive - Subscription, the former does not include insurance.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #223 on: June 22, 2020, 02:15:09 pm »

Railton

Thanks for following up, but I thought you got (and what i'm interested in) is the Porsche Drive - Rental as opposed to the Porsche Drive - Subscription, the former does not include insurance.

I did and you're right. I asked to clarify and yes for the rental service you need to get your own insurance. Now I'll have to call my insurance company and see what I have available on my credit card.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 22, 2020, 02:30:14 pm »
So, just checking what is covered under my credit card and here are the exclusions.

Lol, check out #10. So much for renting that Bricklin using my Visa  :rofl2:

The following vehicles are not covered:
1. Vans, cargo vans or mini cargo vans (other than mini-vans);
2. Trucks, pick-up trucks or any vehicle that can be spontaneously reconfigured into a pick-up truck;
3. Limousines;
4. Off-road vehicles – meaning any vehicle used on roads that are not publicly maintained roads unless used to ingress and egress private property;
5. Motorcycles, mopeds or motor bikes;
6. Trailers, campers, recreational vehicles or vehicles not licensed for road use;
7. Vehicles towing or propelling trailers or any other object;
8. Mini-buses or buses;
9. Any vehicle with a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) excluding all taxes, over $65,000 CDN;
10. Exotic vehicles – meaning vehicles such as Aston Martin, Bentley, Bricklin, Daimler, DeLorean, Excalibur, Ferrari, Jensen, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, Porsche, Rolls Royce;
11. Any vehicle which is either wholly or in part hand made, hand finished or has a limited production of under two thousand, five hundred (2,500) vehicles per year;
12. Antique vehicles, meaning a vehicle over twenty (20) years old or which has not been manufactured for ten (10) years or more; and
13. Tax-free cars.

Luxury vehicles, including but not limited to BMW, Cadillac, Lincoln and Mercedes Benz, are covered as long as they meet the above requirements.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-771
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #225 on: June 22, 2020, 02:50:30 pm »
Wow, that is quite restrictive.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #226 on: June 22, 2020, 03:24:44 pm »
Looking forward to your updates/reviews once you get into some cars. This is exciting.

2. Trucks, pick-up trucks or any vehicle that can be spontaneously reconfigured into a pick-up truck;

What vehicle can be spontaneously reconfigured into a pick-up truck?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2020, 03:27:27 pm »
Looking forward to your updates/reviews once you get into some cars. This is exciting.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2020, 03:39:30 pm »

I plan to use this as a way to test drive various modern Porsches to see what they are all about, and have a day date with the wife.

If you can do both, lucky for you!

With my wife in the car, all I’d be able to test is whether it can keep pace with a minivan from a stop, and how it corners at four tenths. Hell, maybe three tenths.

If you take a corner faster than is posted on the yellow sign, the car will flip over and explode, don’t you know. :P 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #229 on: June 22, 2020, 03:46:10 pm »

The Chevy Avalanche and Escalade EXT.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 22, 2020, 04:14:22 pm »

I plan to use this as a way to test drive various modern Porsches to see what they are all about, and have a day date with the wife.

If you can do both, lucky for you!

With my wife in the car, all I’d be able to test is whether it can keep pace with a minivan from a stop, and how it corners at four tenths. Hell, maybe three tenths.

If you take a corner faster than is posted on the yellow sign, the car will flip over and explode, don’t you know. :P

Lol...though my limits are not much beyond that either...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #231 on: June 22, 2020, 04:18:08 pm »
So, just checking what is covered under my credit card and here are the exclusions.

3. Limousines;
4. Off-road vehicles – meaning any vehicle used on roads that are not publicly maintained roads unless used to ingress and egress private property;
6. Trailers, campers, recreational vehicles or vehicles not licensed for road use;
8. Mini-buses or buses;
9. Any vehicle with a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) excluding all taxes, over $65,000 CDN;
10. Exotic vehicles – meaning vehicles such as Aston Martin, Bentley, Bricklin, Daimler, DeLorean, Excalibur, Ferrari, Jensen, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, Porsche, Rolls Royce;
11. Any vehicle which is either wholly or in part hand made, hand finished or has a limited production of under two thousand, five hundred (2,500) vehicles per year;
12. Antique vehicles, meaning a vehicle over twenty (20) years old or which has not been manufactured for ten (10) years or more; and
13. Tax-free cars.

Luxury vehicles, including but not limited to BMW, Cadillac, Lincoln and Mercedes Benz, are covered as long as they meet the above requirements.
So, as I was saying -  pretty much restricted as the same additional Ins Co. on your policy.
Railton

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 22, 2020, 04:21:38 pm »

3. Limousines;
8. Mini-buses or buses;
13. Tax-free cars.

So, as I was saying -  pretty much restricted as the same additional Ins Co. on your policy.
Railton

Yup. I'll have to call my insurance company and see what if anything they have available. Damn I thought this was going to be straightforward... :(

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 22, 2020, 04:43:58 pm »

The Chevy Avalanche and Escalade EXT.

Those are already pickup trucks.  :P

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 23, 2020, 12:27:37 pm »

3. Limousines;
8. Mini-buses or buses;
13. Tax-free cars.

Railton

Yup. I'll have to call my insurance company and see what if anything they have available. Damn I thought this was going to be straightforward... :(

So called my insurance company. For $45 / year they can increase my coverage for rental cars from $50,000 to $100,000, no make / model restrictions.

I guess for now I'm only renting 718s...maybe for the best :)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 23, 2020, 01:09:59 pm »

3. Limousines;
8. Mini-buses or buses;
13. Tax-free cars.

Railton

So called my insurance company. For $45 / year they can increase my coverage for rental cars from $50,000 to $100,000, no make / model restrictions.

Is that $45 over and above the additional rental car rider?
Railton

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 23, 2020, 01:24:07 pm »

3. Limousines;
8. Mini-buses or buses;
13. Tax-free cars.

Railton

Is that $45 over and above the additional rental car rider?
Railton

The coverage on my BMW includes rental car coverage for a car up to $50,000 in value. Bumping that to $100,000 (the max) will increase the annual cost by $45.  So I think the answer is yes. All of my BMW coverage (i.e. deductible, liability) would extend to the rental.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 23, 2020, 02:49:37 pm »

Sadly, there's nothing best about a 4 banger Porsche. :(
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 23, 2020, 02:58:39 pm »

We'll see. I want to drive one or two and decide for myself. I quite like the looks and packaging of the 718

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7212
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 23, 2020, 03:10:22 pm »

We'll see. I want to drive one or two and decide for myself. I quite like the looks and packaging of the 718
Oh to be sure, it's a great, great driver. No question about it.

But something is missing without that flat 6 wail IMO.