Author Topic: Porsche buying thread  (Read 233132 times)

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
Re: Porsche buying thread
« Reply #600 on: January 23, 2021, 04:27:46 pm »
Speaking of Porsche, I just called the Oakville dealership to make an appt for the Macan's first service and had the

No, it didn't come from them, but that's never been an issue with any other vehicle I've had.  On second thought though, I wonder if it's a Covid thing so thVIN handy to provide, only to be told "before we can book that appt, we'll need you to provide photo ID, as well as a copy of the ownership"  WTF?  Are there a lot of thieves looking to bring their stolen Porsche in for service?
Is it from the same dealer you bought your Macan from?  Would seem weird if that's the case.  Can't say I've ever had a dealer ask for copy of ownership, they've always just been happy to take my money.

andat everything is entered into their system in advance so that you're not passing them anything when you arrive.
yea, might for their contact tracing database.

I mean, isn't the VIN, phone number, name, address and license plate enough?

Not to derail the thread since this is more thread adjacent  ;D about the maintenance costs of a Porsche, but had the first service done this week.  After booking the appointment and trying to figure just how to coordinate it since the dealership is about half hour away and there's literally no where to kill time so it would have meant 2 trips, the dealership called and offered to do a pick up and drop off...hell ya!  I was bracing myself because I had no idea what it was going to cost and figured it would be pretty bad since you only are due once a year, but it was $475 for the service, plus $200 to remove the acorns and mice nests!  That was way less than I was prepared for, and less than I've paid in the past at Jag or Mercedes

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #601 on: January 23, 2021, 04:49:10 pm »
Speaking of Porsche, I just called the Oakville dealership to make an appt for the Macan's first service and had the

No, it didn't come from them, but that's never been an issue with any other vehicle I've had.  On second thought though, I wonder if it's a Covid thing so thVIN handy to provide, only to be told "before we can book that appt, we'll need you to provide photo ID, as well as a copy of the ownership"  WTF?  Are there a lot of thieves looking to bring their stolen Porsche in for service?
Is it from the same dealer you bought your Macan from?  Would seem weird if that's the case.  Can't say I've ever had a dealer ask for copy of ownership, they've always just been happy to take my money.

andat everything is entered into their system in advance so that you're not passing them anything when you arrive.

Not to derail the thread since this is more thread adjacent  ;D about the maintenance costs of a Porsche, but had the first service done this week.  After booking the appointment and trying to figure just how to coordinate it since the dealership is about half hour away and there's literally no where to kill time so it would have meant 2 trips, the dealership called and offered to do a pick up and drop off...hell ya!  I was bracing myself because I had no idea what it was going to cost and figured it would be pretty bad since you only are due once a year, but it was $475 for the service, plus $200 to remove the acorns and mice nests!  That was way less than I was prepared for, and less than I've paid in the past at Jag or Mercedes
Seems reasonable enough, what did the service include?

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 23, 2021, 05:25:29 pm »
Essentially just an oil change! 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 23, 2021, 06:50:25 pm »
I remember early on you said it didn't feel terribly fast..thinking it needed to be broken in.

Does it feel faster?

Any new thoughts?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #604 on: January 23, 2021, 08:54:51 pm »

How can you call $675 for some inspections and an oil change reasonable?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #605 on: January 23, 2021, 10:15:57 pm »
Using the Porsche scale?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #606 on: January 23, 2021, 11:11:14 pm »
A couple months ago I looked up MB prices for oil changes on a GLS, and it was around that price.  Seems normal for luxury marques.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 24, 2021, 10:52:57 am »

I didn't say reasonable or good value based on the work done, just less than what I was expecting based on past experience with similar brands.  How much is a service on your AMG, it must be in that ballpark?

I remember early on you said it didn't feel terribly fast..thinking it needed to be broken in.

Does it feel faster?

Any new thoughts?

It's definitely fast enough, either using the paddles or keeping it in sport make a drastic difference, but for me the vault like interior still gives a very removed feeling from the actual performance that's there.  I haven't been able to come up with the right way to describe it because on one hand I'm blown away by the build quality and just how well it does everything perfectly, but on the other it's almost as if it's too perfect and I feel disconnected from the driving feel.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 24, 2021, 11:47:31 am »
What do these services include?

An oil and filter change at the BMW dealer for my car is $165. Euro indies charge similar prices, so I just go to the dealer to drink their expensive coffees and get a shuttle ride back (pre-covid). They do a bunch of free inspections which I have my indy review and complete if necessary.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 11:55:41 am by 1FGC »

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 24, 2021, 02:04:36 pm »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #610 on: January 24, 2021, 02:57:01 pm »

I didn't say reasonable or good value based on the work done, just less than what I was expecting based on past experience with similar brands.  How much is a service on your AMG, it must be in that ballpark?

Yeah it was about the same. They tried to charge me an hours labour (at dentist rates) to look for mice by removing the airbox or engine cover so I gave them a hard time about that. It's like literally 10 minutes max. They only charged half.

After that I did the oil myself, which at 9-10L per change would have been expensive, had I not gotten it for free from my old place of work.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #611 on: January 24, 2021, 02:59:28 pm »
Love the FU $15 environmental fee. Nice.

$7 screw (you) is nice. But I'm sure it is German engineered.

Also two sealing rings? What are they sealing?

Is that a fixed labour cost?

Thanks for being so transparent. Always like seeing these kind of bills.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 24, 2021, 03:48:46 pm »

One o ring for the filter housing and one for the drain plug, probably?

If so, not much different from most modern cars.

Although the A5 has TWO o rings for the oil filter housing.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:57:28 pm by rrocket »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #613 on: January 24, 2021, 04:02:44 pm »

Do you replace just the paper part of the filter? Sounds like my old British cars. ;)
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 24, 2021, 04:50:31 pm »

One o ring for the filter housing and one for the drain plug, probably?

If so, not much different from most modern cars.

I remember looking at R8's, I think they have four drain plugs!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: January 24, 2021, 05:55:44 pm »

Do you replace just the paper part of the filter? Sounds like my old British cars. ;)
Railton
Yep, just the paper.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #616 on: January 24, 2021, 06:35:18 pm »
Checked the RX and at the mileage we're doing it's not calling for an oil change at all this year, just a service #1, basically an $80.00 inspection

I'll likely get an oil change in the fall anyway, which lists at $119

Next would be a #3 service in fall of 2022, oil/filter, brake calipers etc lubed, inspection and road test $360.00

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #617 on: January 24, 2021, 07:00:52 pm »
That inspection is stupid.  And, is Lexus/Toyota calling for 16 000km oil change intervals?  I think that's stupid and you should ignore it and just do 8000km intervals, especially if you're doing lots of short trips.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #618 on: January 24, 2021, 07:06:28 pm »
Checked the RX and at the mileage we're doing it's not calling for an oil change at all this year, just a service #1, basically an $80.00 inspection

I'll likely get an oil change in the fall anyway, which lists at $119

Next would be a #3 service in fall of 2022, oil/filter, brake calipers etc lubed, inspection and road test $360.00
Check out your local Toyota dealer , it is only about $80 for an oil change
Also Toyota dealer is 5 minutes away , Lexus dealer almost 50 minutes on the hiway so it a no brainer for me
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 07:59:53 pm by Airbalancer »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #619 on: January 24, 2021, 07:51:10 pm »
That inspection is stupid.  And, is Lexus/Toyota calling for 16 000km oil change intervals?  I think that's stupid and you should ignore it and just do 8000km intervals, especially if you're doing lots of short trips.

Yeah exactly, that's what I was getting at.

Still, can't say they are really milking the maintenance side of it compared to the Germans. There's some extra charge over Toyota, but not that much. The dealers are the same distance for us, so I'll stick with Lex until the warranty is done at least