Author Topic: Porsche buying thread  (Read 233261 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Porsche buying thread
« Reply #500 on: December 19, 2020, 01:42:14 pm »
I was thinking the same. $150K for a GT3 seems very reasonable indeed.

991.2 GT3s are under $200k now so that has pushed down prices of the .1 models.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #501 on: December 19, 2020, 04:29:48 pm »
if i hit the big Lotto 6/49 jackpot, i'd have a hard time passing up a brand new 911 Turbo S...that car is just all kinds of incredible.

I honestly think the Turbo is the most boring 911 you can buy for the street. Way too capable. YMMV

I agree, I think a C4S would be the perfect year round commuter car...if the 6/49 comes in.
nothing wrong with the C4S, but, i mean, if you've got the money, might as well go all in.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #502 on: December 19, 2020, 05:24:12 pm »
if i hit the big Lotto 6/49 jackpot, i'd have a hard time passing up a brand new 911 Turbo S...that car is just all kinds of incredible.

I honestly think the Turbo is the most boring 911 you can buy for the street. Way too capable. YMMV

I agree, I think a C4S would be the perfect year round commuter car...if the 6/49 comes in.
nothing wrong with the C4S, but, i mean, if you've got the money, might as well go all in.

Even if i had Bill Gates money the new Turbo S wouldn't even be on my list. Same goes with many supercars. So boring. Now those GT3's above would be very high on my list. So much more fun to drive.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #503 on: December 19, 2020, 07:05:33 pm »

Even if i had Bill Gates money the new Turbo S wouldn't even be on my list. Same goes with many supercars. So boring. Now those GT3's above would be very high on my list. So much more fun to drive.

That's exactly my point. A 911 Turbo is not an exciting street car. Even if I had the money to buy a new one I wouldn't.

For me (increasing budget) I'd get:

C2
C4S
GT3
GT3 RS
GT2
GT2 RS

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 19, 2020, 07:51:05 pm »
I guess it depends which year Turbo.

Have driven plenty of 996/997 Turbos and found them plenty exciting.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #505 on: December 19, 2020, 10:21:41 pm »

I'm not saying they're not fast.

But it's OK for us to disagree, that's the point. For the price I would always choose something else significantly more engaging.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 19, 2020, 10:27:05 pm »
The only new Porsches I would consider are the Cayman 4.0 and Cayenne S or GTS. I've lost interest in the latest 911 as they just look too fat.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 19, 2020, 10:29:06 pm »

I'm not saying they're not fast.

But it's OK for us to disagree, that's the point. For the price I would always choose something else significantly more engaging.

It wasn't that they were just fast..they were fun too.

And I'd say the older platforms (996/997) are probably more engaging than the newest platforms....since the newest platforms are so polished and "perfected".

These older platforms feel more analog..more feel, more connection to the road.

And yes..no biggie if we disagree.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 10:40:52 pm by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 19, 2020, 11:01:20 pm »
i don't know...looks pretty fun to me.

https://youtu.be/l-qNOrlYT7Y?t=1

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #509 on: December 20, 2020, 07:45:05 am »

Would certainly make a decent winter beater in the GTA...
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #510 on: December 20, 2020, 07:56:23 am »

Would certainly make a decent winter beater in the GTA...
Yeah, I've often thought that 'if' I ever purchased a P-Car it would have to be AWD. Certainly a 4 seasons car here in the GTA with a good set of snows or...dare I say it...4 seasons to eliminate changeovers. :o
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 20, 2020, 01:13:07 pm »

Why is it when you have an opinion on this forum everyone tries to prove your opinion wrong?  ???

All I'm saying is that driving a very fast and capable car within Ontario's limits, isn't as fun as driving a slower car fast. Nothing groundbreaking about that.

And if you think the 911 is the best car ever so be it. Personally I don't, but I'd still love to own one, because it's a good allrounder. But there are many more involving cars out there than a modern 911. I like driving a car close-ish to it's limits, and it's difficult to get anywhere near those in a 911 without risking your licence.

For something for Sunday blasts, I'd go for an S1 Elise. Would love to import one of those. Or if more modern, an S2000.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 20, 2020, 01:40:38 pm »
Harry on the base 911.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX-XmOqCRuM

Even in base trim these things are stupid fast.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 20, 2020, 01:52:38 pm »
Harry on the base 911.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX-XmOqCRuM

LOL, well that's :censor:' timely!

And agree, great car, and first on my list above.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 20, 2020, 03:20:17 pm »

Yep!

HP levels almost on par with 996 TT.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 05:20:22 pm by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 20, 2020, 05:39:02 pm »

Why is it when you have an opinion on this forum everyone tries to prove your opinion wrong?  ???

opinions can't be wrong, they're opinions...i just think it looks like it would be a great car to own (in the hypothetical world of winning the lotto).

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 20, 2020, 05:39:45 pm »
All I'm saying is that driving a very fast and capable car within Ontario's limits, isn't as fun as driving a slower car fast. Nothing groundbreaking about that.
i already have my Rio5 for that. :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 20, 2020, 06:21:32 pm »

I've suggested the same many times with respect to motorcycles (supermoto and Japanese gray market 250/400s for example).

Does this mean there's an imminent sale of the RC51 and Triumph? :)

Or do you only subscribe to this belief with respect to cars? For me, I'm the opposite. I like the torque of a NA V8 on the street for a car (because it's useful in normal everyday driving too) but a more minimalist approach to bikes these days (supermoto).

You have to admit though...surfing an epic tsunami of torque in the C63 is pretty damn amusing!! :) (or for that matter the luscious pulses of the RC51). And I'm with you...would totally dig an S2000!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 07:04:36 pm by rrocket »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 20, 2020, 07:44:49 pm »

I've suggested the same many times with respect to motorcycles (supermoto and Japanese gray market 250/400s for example).

Or do you only subscribe to this belief with respect to cars? For me, I'm the opposite. I like the torque of a NA V8 on the street for a car (because it's useful in normal everyday driving too) but a more minimalist approach to bikes these days (supermoto).

You have to admit though...surfing an epic tsunami of torque in the C63 is pretty damn amusing!! :) (or for that matter the luscious pulses of the RC51). And I'm with you...would totally dig an S2000!

I'd always wanted to own a C63, so wanted to tick it off the bucket list. But as far as driving it, it was frustrating to never really get anywhere near its limits. Part of the reason I sold it, as I said in that thread.

I bought the RC51 on a whim, and because I think it's a classic, and I wanted a supersports bike with less power than a new one. Agree that I'll never get anywhere near the limit on that, but I just like the way it looks.

No idea what you are on about with the Triumph, it's fairly pedestrian. But I suppose you want to argue about everything as usual.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 20, 2020, 07:49:04 pm »

I'd always wanted to own a C63, so wanted to tick it off the bucket list. But as far as driving it, it was frustrating to never really get anywhere near its limits. Part of the reason I sold it, as I said in that thread.

I bought the RC51 on a whim, and because I think it's a classic, and I wanted a supersports bike with less power than a new one. Agree that I'll never get anywhere near the limit on that, but I just like the way it looks.

No idea what you are on about with the Triumph, it's fairly pedestrian. But I suppose you want to argue about everything as usual.
I guess I'll try 4 smileys next time to get the lighthearted nature of my post through...2 wasn't enough, apparently.