Author Topic: Porsche buying thread  (Read 232332 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Porsche buying thread
« Reply #1960 on: January 25, 2024, 10:16:20 pm »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #1961 on: January 25, 2024, 10:23:30 pm »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #1962 on: January 25, 2024, 10:48:43 pm »
Tough one, I love cars as much as the rest of you, but to spend my time on something like this & receive no compensation? Hard pass!!! Blueprint ain't a 20yr old starting a new venture, he's in his 50's! At this point in your life you're compensated for what you bring to the table... :censor: everything else.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #1963 on: January 26, 2024, 07:24:21 am »
I don't disagree with you guys; if the seller is unreasonable in their expectations, then absolutely don't waste your time when the chances of you logging the sale are slim. However, in your shoes, if you had the opportunity to bring a car to BAT that was highly likely to sell (low or no reserve, reasonable seller, etc) my advice is not to get hung up on the $...get it done, log the sale, build the credibility. Once you've got a bunch of sales to your name, then by all means, ask top dollar for your services.

Adi, your comparison to someone trying to sell you a car at market is totally different....you're a dealer with hundreds of sales, and a big existing inventory where your capital is invested. You don't need the experience, or credibility, you're beyond that. There's absolutely no reason for you to buy something where there's no profit in it. BP is simply providing a service, he's not investing any capital funds, nor has he logged any sales, the potential for him to attract clients and demand top $ for his services is solely hinged on his experience and reputation....and in these early phases, building concrete credibility through a couple successfully closed sales is invaluable imo. But again, if the potential client is dreaming - then you're not really building the experience you need, so pass.

I think my comparison was only to the fact that BP’s 930 client was a dealer, who was taking advantage of him willing to do this for free, and then I went into how sellers have high expectations and it’s BP’s duty in this particular broker role to talk them down to earth or walk away.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #1964 on: January 26, 2024, 07:46:25 am »
Tough one, I love cars as much as the rest of you, but to spend my time on something like this & receive no compensation? Hard pass!!! Blueprint ain't a 20yr old starting a new venture, he's in his 50's! At this point in your life you're compensated for what you bring to the table... :censor: everything else.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

This year I'm reaching 30 years of doing the job I was trained for, and 20 years at the dayjob, where I have benefits such as a legacy union position that pays better than my boss' boss, and a top-shelf pension plan. However, the workplace has changed a lot in recent years. For visuals, let's say I'm a meat lover surrounded by vegan kids who keep reminding me that I'm wrong and that my experience and expertise means nothing. They make you feel like a Cummins RAM owner in a Tesla owner's club. And our new admin, who makes a liberal look like a Proud Boy, is part of them. So I'm kicking myself to work every morning. Still, long story short, the mega project that I love and started before the current structure and admin with outside partners has to get done. As in gun-to-the-head done. And I'm grinding the wheelclamps that are in my way one by one, but I'm getting tired. It's complicated - I could write a book  ;D

The cars are my professional mistress. They allow me to cope with how stupid the workplace has become. They are the next phase in my professional life, and if successful enough in these new ventures to take an early pension with penalties, then morale will go up.

Why do I feel like I just had a session with a shrink?  ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1965 on: January 26, 2024, 05:33:01 pm »
Why are union shops full of misery? It seems to be the one common thread. Too well paid to leave I guess.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: January 26, 2024, 06:06:08 pm »
Why are union shops full of misery? It seems to be the one common thread. Too well paid to leave I guess.
Union shops are country clubs here....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: February 02, 2024, 09:36:55 am »
Watching this Canadian market 993 on BaT. Really like the blue on blue and perfectly optioned too with the motorsound package, LSD and heated hard back sport seats.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-porsche-911-carrera-targa-20/

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: February 02, 2024, 09:49:02 am »
Watching this Canadian market 993 on BaT. Really like the blue on blue and perfectly optioned too with the motorsound package, LSD and heated hard back sport seats.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-porsche-911-carrera-targa-20/

Yeah, that's a super nice car. On my watchlist as well.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #1969 on: February 02, 2024, 10:39:25 am »
9k kms.  Very nice...I guess they like to look and not drive.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #1970 on: February 02, 2024, 01:04:21 pm »
Damn. I thought my Midnight Blue/Midnight Blue combo was ultra rare. I had a 993 C4S come through our sales inventory a couple years ago matching it, and now this one. What a beauty.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #1971 on: February 09, 2024, 07:58:33 am »
Chalk this one up in the "lessons learned" and the perils of buying a P-car with no PPI on BaT.

First, read the description from the previous auction from a few months ago:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-porsche-944s-50/

Then, read the reality check that is the open-book live auction from the last auction's buyer :

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-porsche-944s-54/

Previous owner was clueless, or not entirely honest. He did point out repairs and issues in the comments, but not to that extent.

Anybody here brave enough? It's still an S with desirable options - sad if she becomes a track car.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: February 09, 2024, 08:28:27 am »
That car needs about $5k worth of work to make it a reliable daily... less if you wrench on it yourself. Some of the problems are known issues, like the odometer not working, it's a broken gear & about a $25 part (just have to make sure you get the correct gear because they were different over the years & models), the whole instrument cluster needs to be carefully removed and then take the speedometer apart. I did it on mine, took probably close to 2hrs in total, working slowly & carefully. The steering rack should just be changed to a manual rack, pretty common conversion on the 944's and gives you more road feel. The sport seats are desirable for sure & it looks like it has the yellow Koni sport shocks (again desirable). The LSD is also great, you can really feel it grab & push you through the corners. The bigger concern is the engine issues, someone might want to dive deeper into that to really assess what's up there, could just be minor, but I'm not sure what's up with the oil in the spark plug tube, could just be leaking in there from the valve cover gasket.

At the end of the day, a good DIY'er could get this car sorted for not too much cash, keep the patina & drive the :censor: out of it.

I didn't think these things were worth this kinda cash, but I guess everything has gone up. I paid $9500US for my 944 Turbo in August of 2014, and then sold it for $18500 CDN in Sept 2020. I probably put close to $4k into it over the years I had it.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: February 09, 2024, 08:53:35 am »
That car needs about $5k worth of work to make it a reliable daily... less if you wrench on it yourself. Some of the problems are known issues, like the odometer not working, it's a broken gear & about a $25 part (just have to make sure you get the correct gear because they were different over the years & models), the whole instrument cluster needs to be carefully removed and then take the speedometer apart. I did it on mine, took probably close to 2hrs in total, working slowly & carefully. The steering rack should just be changed to a manual rack, pretty common conversion on the 944's and gives you more road feel. The sport seats are desirable for sure & it looks like it has the yellow Koni sport shocks (again desirable). The LSD is also great, you can really feel it grab & push you through the corners. The bigger concern is the engine issues, someone might want to dive deeper into that to really assess what's up there, could just be minor, but I'm not sure what's up with the oil in the spark plug tube, could just be leaking in there from the valve cover gasket.

At the end of the day, a good DIY'er could get this car sorted for not too much cash, keep the patina & drive the :censor: out of it.

I didn't think these things were worth this kinda cash, but I guess everything has gone up. I paid $9500US for my 944 Turbo in August of 2014, and then sold it for $18500 CDN in Sept 2020. I probably put close to $4k into it over the years I had it.

Nice outcome! You owned a Porsche for 6 years and came out ahead financially! I clearly remember USD was nearer CDN in 2014 - we bought into a Maine beach house in 2013.

Now the 944s are up, but early Boxters are down, while the "fried eggs" 911's are starting to rise. Short of full-on engine failure, a current pruchase of a 996 may end up similar to your 944 experience, financially speaking.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: February 09, 2024, 09:07:59 am »
I feel like $9500 US for a 944 Turbo was a pretty good deal even in 2014.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: February 09, 2024, 09:10:31 am »
Nice outcome! You owned a Porsche for 6 years and came out ahead financially! I clearly remember USD was nearer CDN in 2014 - we bought into a Maine beach house in 2013.

Yeah the CDN dollar was pretty strong back in 2014. I had a buddy move back to Canada from Atlanta at that time and he had a bunch of US cash that he wanted to convert to CDN, so I bought US cash off of him to fund the purchase. We split the exchange rate difference, so it cost me less for the US dollars & he got more than the bank would have given him.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: February 09, 2024, 09:23:53 am »
I feel like $9500 US for a 944 Turbo was a pretty good deal even in 2014.

I shopped for about a year before I found mine, the sport seats were a mandatory option for me. I had one in Michigan that I had PPI'd, it was selling for $6500 but ended up needing a ton of work before I'd be able to even drive it home. I was in negotiations with the dealership, but then they sold it out from under me while we were going back & forth. That was a really interesting one because it was an early production model that was bought by a US serviceman stationed in Germany at the time & then he imported it back to the US when he came back. When I started to decode the VIN# it became apparent that it was an early production model and those were basically test mules that were sold to the public. Porsche was still a fairly small company & didn't have the budget to test a lot of cars, so early models were test mules for R&D somewhat, and those early cars came with forged internals, later cars in the same year ended up with cast internals that were cheaper to make. I did a lot of research on them before I made the purchase  ;D

Don't forget, mine was reviewed back in 2014 https://www.autos.ca/motoring-memories/final-drive-1986-porsche-944-turbo/

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #1977 on: February 09, 2024, 09:36:30 am »
Cool! That was some good reading

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: February 09, 2024, 04:29:38 pm »

Chalk this one up in the "lessons learned" and the perils of buying a P-car with no PPI

When I was hunting for 911, I told of a story. Some might recall.

911. It was out west, so impractical for me to put eyeballs on it l. Dkaz kindly offered and since I trusted his eyeballs, he checked the car out for me. It passed his eyeball test. The usual things that should look good with eyeballs looked good!

Onto PPI. $20k+ work required.

PPI saved the day. I posted the PPI on here but can't seem to find it. So yea...PPI.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: February 21, 2024, 08:15:28 am »
Somebody here is bidding on this  ;) Somebody with the time, talent and ressources to bring this fine specimen back on the road where it belongs!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-porsche-928-57/

Engine broke down 24 years ago

Pasha!