Author Topic: The 2020 Toyota Camry and 2021 Avalon are getting AWD  (Read 11552 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: The 2020 Toyota Camry and 2021 Avalon are getting AWD
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 12:44:40 pm »
I still don't think that buying a brand new FWD CUV in this area is a great idea for resale. Everything I see proudly displays its awd badges....again, around here.
it's not as common due to solid marketing from the manufacturers, and the mentions in reviews...Corollas, Camrys and Accords have moved people by the millions in relative ease for decades...but all of a sudden, we need AWD or we'll end up dead...i have never been stuck in the snow...ever...and i've only had winter tires for the past couple of vehicles...i've also had a few RWD cars in the mix...i've also driven in snow so deep, it was plowing at the front and i could feel it being compacted under the car through the floor.

winter tires and driving according to the conditions is all you need...yes, AWD is nice, but to be honest, all i've found it does (and winter tires to a degree) is make you drive faster than you should be based on the conditions.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 12:49:18 pm »
I still don't think that buying a brand new FWD CUV in this area is a great idea for resale. Everything I see proudly displays its awd badges....again, around here.
it's not as common due to solid marketing from the manufacturers, and the mentions in reviews...Corollas, Camrys and Accords have moved people by the millions in relative ease for decades...but all of a sudden, we need AWD or we'll end up dead...i have never been stuck in the snow...ever...and i've only had winter tires for the past couple of vehicles...i've also had a few RWD cars in the mix...i've also driven in snow so deep, it was plowing at the front and i could feel it being compacted under the car through the floor.

winter tires and driving according to the conditions is all you need...yes, AWD is nice, but to be honest, all i've found it does (and winter tires to a degree) is make you drive faster than you should be based on the conditions.

Why bother with the poor handling, gas mileage, looks, and size of a CUV to not have AWD??
Lighten up Francis.....

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2019, 12:51:37 pm »

Why bother with the poor handling, gas mileage, looks, and size of a CUV to not have AWD??

Those compromises aren't nearly as bad as they used to be.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2019, 12:53:05 pm »
why not buy the FWD version to save weight (better handling?), save money on purchase and possible repairs, get better gas mileage, get a higher seating position, make it easier to get in and out of and still get decent store space.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2019, 01:13:07 pm »
why not buy the FWD version to save weight (better handling?), save money on purchase and possible repairs, get better gas mileage, get a higher seating position, make it easier to get in and out of and still get decent store space.

People do it.  Two close co-workers of mine have FWD CUV's.  One has a 10 year old Escape, and the other a 4 year old Edge.  Neither run winter tires. 

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2019, 01:15:32 pm »

I'm with the mindset of if there is a bigger engine, get that, if there is awd, get that, if there is a better stereo, yes please, upgraded interior, foh shizzle. For the extra traction in the winter, the AWD is a no brainer.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2019, 01:37:09 pm »

I'm with the mindset of if there is a bigger engine, get that, if there is awd, get that, if there is a better stereo, yes please, upgraded interior, foh shizzle. For the extra traction in the winter, the AWD is a no brainer.

I agree but we don't live in the GTA

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2019, 01:42:46 pm »

I agree but we don't live in the GTA

Oh I would drive a smart car and rock a feather boa in that case  ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2019, 02:03:25 pm »

So, why the hell aren't you driving a Wrangler Rubicon, then, instead of your plain jane Wrangler?  If that's really the theory to which you subscribe....

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2019, 02:08:15 pm »

So, why the hell aren't you driving a Wrangler Rubicon, then, instead of your plain jane Wrangler?  If that's really the theory to which you subscribe....

Wife bought it before I met her...I would have steered her towards a Sahara.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2019, 02:09:26 pm »

But even a Sahara doesn't have all the traction adding devices that a Rubicon does.  Are you telling me that it's possible that you would make some concessions when it comes to all out capability?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2019, 02:12:45 pm »
Sahara??...so the woman's Jeep.   ;)

using your logic, Rubicon or STFU.  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2019, 02:14:16 pm »

It

He is all about “ do as I say , not as I do “  ;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2019, 02:15:13 pm »
People do it.  Two close co-workers of mine have FWD CUV's.  One has a 10 year old Escape, and the other a 4 year old Edge.  Neither run winter tires.
my parents did it when they bought their Equinox last year...if it had AWD, fine, but you could still get a well equipped unit with all the features they wanted in FWD, so that was nice...also helped keep the price down by a couple of grand.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2019, 02:21:38 pm »

Why, it doesn't have a better interior, engine or anything. If it was for me, absolutely I would go Rubicon.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2019, 02:22:06 pm »
my parents did it when they bought their Equinox last year...if it had AWD, fine, but you could still get a well equipped unit with all the features they wanted in FWD, so that was nice...also helped keep the price down by a couple of grand.

Some people just want a box with a raised ride height and upright seating.  They couldn't give two whits about AWD. 

I would personally go with the AWD option if given the option, but that's me. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2019, 02:22:51 pm »

Why, it doesn't have a better interior, engine or anything. If it was for me, absolutely I would go Rubicon.
why is the Rubicon a few grand more than the Sahara?

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2019, 02:23:38 pm »

But even a Sahara doesn't have all the traction adding devices that a Rubicon does.  Are you telling me that it's possible that you would make some concessions when it comes to all out capability?

Locked axles won't work on the road. I wouldn't, if I got a JL or Gladiator tomorrow, it would be Rubicon, flat out.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2019, 02:23:52 pm »

Some people just want a box with a raised ride height and upright seating.  They couldn't give two whits about AWD. 

I would personally go with the AWD option if given the option, but that's me.
exactly.

i have nothing against AWD, but i'm not stuck on it either.

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2019, 02:24:33 pm »

why is the Rubicon a few grand more than the Sahara?

Locking axles, skid plates, disconnecting sway bar....but the engine, interior and such stays the same.