Author Topic: When are winter tires considered done?  (Read 18369 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: When are winter tires considered done?
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2019, 09:11:13 am »
:rofl2:

It was Blizzaks - local dealer would be about $35 more installed.  (Wee bit) Cheaper per tire...more for install.  Blizzaks are good as Xice right?

I would argue better than, but some people think the opposite.  If you're doing high mileage, and lots of highway, then I would suggest maybe the X-Ice are a better fit.  The Blizzaks are better for deep snow. 

Also, their value depends on if they're WS-80's or WS-90's.  WS-80's were always cheaper than X-Ice, while WS-90's are currently quite a bit more expensive than X-Ice.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2019, 09:19:25 am »
The WS-80 and WS-90 are H-rated so they drive very well on the highway.  The X-ICE is likely a little better but it's really splitting hairs. The new models are nothing like the WS-70 and earlier that were like driving on marshmallows.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2019, 09:26:10 am »

It was Blizzaks - local dealer would be about $35 more installed.  (Wee bit) Cheaper per tire...more for install.  Blizzaks are good as Xice right?

I would argue better than, but some people think the opposite.  If you're doing high mileage, and lots of highway, then I would suggest maybe the X-Ice are a better fit.  The Blizzaks are better for deep snow. 

Also, their value depends on if they're WS-80's or WS-90's.  WS-80's were always cheaper than X-Ice, while WS-90's are currently quite a bit more expensive than X-Ice.

Emerson to Altona...it's MB, so you know what the roads are like.  :P On smooth pavement I can hear if a tire (or tires) is making weird noises...on the 421...fack, you can't tell anything your tires are doing. Sounds the same in all cases...unbalanced or out of alignment or whatever.  So yeah, almost all highway, but it's short distance for the most part.  I'm thinking snow performance would be better.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2019, 09:27:30 am »

Emerson to Altona...it's MB, so you know what the roads are like.  :P On smooth pavement I can hear if a tire (or tires) is making weird noises...on the 421...fack, you can't tell anything your tires are doing. Sounds the same in all cases...unbalanced or out of alignment or whatever.  So yeah, almost all highway, but it's short distance for the most part.  I'm thinking snow performance would be better.

I think the Blizzaks are the way to go if you're not doing insane mileage every day. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2019, 09:31:22 am »
How about the cooper discoverer true north if you are looking to save a little money? TFL Cars did a test with them.

https://youtu.be/vzGN6cxL1Mg?t=608

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2019, 01:48:15 pm »
My kid says they're the best - it's what he has on the Mustang.  How would you know?  You've never had any other winter tires.  Got his iron ring yesterday...so I guess that means he's got the answers now.

Congrats to your son on getting his iron ring.  Means that he now knows:
 1. you can't push on a rope
 2. water does not run uphill
Which discipline of engineering is he in?

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2019, 02:10:17 pm »
Mechanical.  Done in December, graduates in Feb (to which no one, apparently, goes to).  Hope he finds a job... :P

So...Blizzaks on order.  Matched the price I calculated at Costco...and I don't have to go to Costco!!  ;D  So...Yay??

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2019, 02:25:34 pm »
Mechanical.  Done in December, graduates in Feb (to which no one, apparently, goes to).  Hope he finds a job... :P

So...Blizzaks on order.  Matched the price I calculated at Costco...and I don't have to go to Costco!!  ;D  So...Yay??

yay.  Did they throw the tire warranty in there? Because that's one advantage you automatically get at Costco.  Lifetime flat repair and wheel/tire balance. 

You'll like these tires.  I've had WS80's on the Altima, Grand Caravan, and now my Tundra (okay, they're DM-V2's, but same deal). 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2019, 02:40:11 pm »

Congratulations
It feels like he only started University this September, I guess for you it felt like 10 years ago  ;D

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2019, 09:19:27 am »
If he doesn't get a job and be gone by January? Spring at the latest...it will feel like 10 yrs.  I keep trying to find him a girlfriend...but that would be...weird, no, creepy, setting your own kid up.  Met a nice girl yesterday, same age as him...not bad looking, real pleasant, and the black sheep of her family (23 and not married and no kids!! OMG!! - that was funny - she said it).  I'm not even thinking about pulling a Charles Barkley and if I'd like to hit that...more...hmm...wonder if she's single and if she'd be a good match for Jr.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2019, 10:20:25 am »

Can't go wrong and it sure sounds like you need them.  Looking forward to your impressions.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2019, 03:58:56 pm »
Just got called, they had a cancellation and the tires came in...so getting done today.  Guess we will see...now that the snow's all melting off the roads and there's nowhere to try them out.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2019, 07:12:49 am »
So, obviously they're way better than the old tires.  I need to find a place where it's a little more polished...see if it brakes better. Almost slid past my parents driveway yesterday, should have gone back there after work.

It's SOOOO nice to drive a car with round tires...that take to balancing well...that are round...that alone makes me smile.

Fack are these things noisy on wet cement!  :o :rofl: If you took a nice flat piece of steel, spun it on a clay wheel, and held a piece of steel rod on it like a record player...yup, that'd probably be about as loud and as much as it sounds like.  Fine on the dry, facking noisy in the wet.

What else...my remote start didn't work.  WTF? Worked at lunch.  Went back before I went home, seems someone put it in valet mode.  Funny guys (?) or what.  "Sometimes they lose connectivity" Wow, first time in...200,000 km...OK. But he had it going in 30 seconds so it's all good.  Guessing one of the kids pushed the buttons in a funny order, intentionally or otherwise.

Two tires are on wrong - i.e. apparently they are directional and two face backwards.  Good thing is they're on opposite sides of the car so I guess I'm swapping those two around.

Two have the mfg date on them...two don't.  Maybe that's on the inside??  1119 so yay!  Not old stock.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2019, 07:21:09 am »
So, obviously they're way better than the old tires.  I need to find a place where it's a little more polished...see if it brakes better. Almost slid past my parents driveway yesterday, should have gone back there after work.

It's SOOOO nice to drive a car with round tires...that take to balancing well...that are round...that alone makes me smile.

Fack are these things noisy on wet cement!  :o :rofl: If you took a nice flat piece of steel, spun it on a clay wheel, and held a piece of steel rod on it like a record player...yup, that'd probably be about as loud and as much as it sounds like.  Fine on the dry, facking noisy in the wet.

What else...my remote start didn't work.  WTF? Worked at lunch.  Went back before I went home, seems someone put it in valet mode.  Funny guys (?) or what.  "Sometimes they lose connectivity" Wow, first time in...200,000 km...OK. But he had it going in 30 seconds so it's all good.  Guessing one of the kids pushed the buttons in a funny order, intentionally or otherwise.

Two tires are on wrong - i.e. apparently they are directional and two face backwards.  Good thing is they're on opposite sides of the car so I guess I'm swapping those two around.

Two have the mfg date on them...two don't.  Maybe that's on the inside??  1119 so yay!  Not old stock.
The dealership put the tires on wrong? WTF?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2019, 07:41:39 am »

That jumped out at me too rrocket.  What kind of tire installer makes that mistake?  It's like not putting oil back in during and oil change......OK, not that catastrophic but still....really dumb and careless. ::) ??? ::)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2019, 08:07:15 am »

That jumped out at me too rrocket.  What kind of tire installer makes that mistake?  It's like not putting oil back in during and oil change......OK, not that catastrophic but still....really dumb and careless. ::) ??? ::)
Remember he is in Manitoba, there is no hills , he will fine.
Also it a Ford , nothing to worry about  ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2019, 08:11:43 am »

Remember he is in Manitoba, there is no hills , he will fine.
Also it a Ford , nothing to worry about  ;D
He can drive in circles backwards so 2 tires will be going the correct direction...

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2019, 09:20:57 am »
well, at least he saved a couple of bucks.

i highly doubt you'd see that at Costco.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2019, 09:34:46 am »
He can drive in circles backwards so 2 tires will be going the correct direction...

They must've seen me drive

well, at least he saved a couple of bucks.

i highly doubt you'd see that at Costco.

Hey, I've read horror reviews about Costco!  They left one guys trunk a mess!  :o You have to remember, I don't exactly live conveniently close to a Costco.  Over an hour away...PITA.  Also, I don't think there's a mechanic over 23 working at the dealership...but the pros next door weren't exactly careful with my wheels when I got them balanced either...so  :think: ??? ::) :P  When it's summer tire time in 7 yrs, I might go to the GM dealer.  They have much more experienced staff...i.e. closer to AB's age. 

I also figured I'd support the local store instead of some big box store which does nothing at all for the communities in which I live and work.  Sometimes, that additional $3, or even the WTF moments, aren't worth it (i.e. going to Costco).  Nothing I can't fix in 10 minutes.  Lug nuts are probably all loose anyway.  Should be easy!  ;D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2019, 09:49:13 am »
I bet the lug nuts were probably put on with an impact wrench......better get out your breaker bar.  ;D