Author Topic: When are winter tires considered done?  (Read 18356 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: When are winter tires considered done?
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 03:37:48 pm »
This will be the 8th season on our XICE on the MDX.

If I keep it I'll have to replace for next winter.

Point being, they lasted a long time.

Exactly the same here. Both summer and winter are Michelins and they are in their 8th year of service and the last for that matter.
Thread is down to 5-6 32th on the winters but will replace them on age alone next season (if I decide to keep the car).

Probably sticking with Michelin...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 03:41:06 pm by carcrazy »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 09:23:27 am »
So, swapped the left rear and the right front around.  Which means the 7's are in the front and the 4's are in the rear.

Just so you know, that's backwards of how it should be.

Going to skip the Xice since they only come with 10/32s of tread

And this is foolish thinking since the X-Ice is one of the longest lasting winter tires.

I've heard that before...figured since it's AWD, I'd change it up and go with the better traction in front.  The rears will already follow...plus it gives me more opportunity to get 'er sideways if the shi#tier ones are in the back.  Logic.  Right there.

And...I'm nothing if not foolish...so there is that.  These tires lasted 8 seasons...might milk them for one more.  Weird thing is next door they cost more than the Xice if I was to buy new.  I just hate the way they look (the GYs)...more something you'd put on grandpa's Buick than on a "Sport".  Surprised they don't come with whitewalls.  :P

I might just go for the Firestones again since they're about $200 cheaper than the others, had them 10 yrs ago, worked fine and despite being the same width (215s) as the GYs, are actually about a half inch or so wider.  More square - skinny is better in snow...but my car is vain, and I want fatter looking tires.  Maybe I should go 225's...but then I'm also getting a tire that's a good half inch or more bigger in diameter.  215-60-16 is only .2" bigger than the factory size. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 09:45:31 am »
So, swapped the left rear and the right front around.  Which means the 7's are in the front and the 4's are in the rear.

Just so you know, that's backwards of how it should be.

Going to skip the Xice since they only come with 10/32s of tread

And this is foolish thinking since the X-Ice is one of the longest lasting winter tires.

I've heard that before...figured since it's AWD, I'd change it up and go with the better traction in front.  The rears will already follow...plus it gives me more opportunity to get 'er sideways if the shi#tier ones are in the back.  Logic.  Right there.

It will increase the tendancy of the car to swap ends, especially under braking. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 09:47:08 am »
And emergency maneuvers might be unrecoverable.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12385
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 09:59:44 am »
Having tires with differing levels of traction front to rear is a bad idea generally, and bordeline nuts in the winter.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2019, 10:19:59 am »
Having tires with differing levels of traction front to rear is a bad idea generally, and bordeline nuts in the winter.

It's okay to do it, but only as long as the higher traction tires are in the rear. 

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2019, 10:20:28 am »
It will increase the tendancy of the car to swap ends, especially under braking.

Braking induced oversteer...sounds like fun.  :skid: They took away our turn out from town, used to love hitting the corner too fast, brake, get the rear out...hit the gas...the old SHO was pretty good at that.  The Fusion tends to plow, sounds like this could fix that.   ;D

I avoid emergencies. 

And...I'm nothing if not foolish...so there is that. 
;D

No snow yet...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2019, 10:26:23 am »

Braking induced oversteer...sounds like fun.  :skid: They took away our turn out from town, used to love hitting the corner too fast, brake, get the rear out...hit the gas...the old SHO was pretty good at that.  The Fusion tends to plow, sounds like this could fix that.   ;D

I avoid emergencies. 

And...I'm nothing if not foolish...so there is that. 
;D

No snow yet...

He is ok, he is in Manitoba, there no hills there   ;D

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2019, 02:16:56 pm »
Got that right.  Though I believe there's about an 8' elevation change from here to where I live...30+ km away.  Getting home should always be easier.  ;D  Who cares about getting to work.  :think: :P

Alignment done...
You should have one done every year!
How much was it out? 
Almost nothing.  Just minor adjustments.  Some toe in the back.
Huh...every year...alrighty then... ::)
See you in another 8.

Steering wheel is about 5mm off center though...they turned it into a Chevy truck.  Fack sakes.  >:( 
Will drive it for a week, see if it's just me, what it does on other highways...if the wife notices...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2019, 03:39:52 pm »
Steering wheel is about 5mm off center though...they turned it into a Chevy truck.  Fack sakes.  >:( 
Will drive it for a week, see if it's just me, what it does on other highways...if the wife notices...
it's not 100% if it's not centered...if you're like me, it will bother you...i'd take it back and let them know.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2019, 10:37:13 am »
You're right...it does. 

At least if I get new tires this year...I can remove the price of the alignment...and I see no reason to pay $40 for the dealer tire warranty (flat repairs, tire replacement etc.) - I've never used a tire warranty in my life, and I rotate my own tires.  So...if I wanted to be less a fool...I could now get those Xice's for around $860 or $880 all in.  No Costco points though...like I care.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2019, 11:31:23 am »
FWIW, Costco gives their tire road hazard warranty for free (you don't pay extra for it).

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2019, 01:41:49 pm »
Or it's built into the price...the Ford dealers extra $40 for their warranty basically equals to what it would cost at Costco for the same tire. 

And...snow.  Fack.  Fack are these pure shi# on snow.  Fack...do not turn traction control off...fack...could barely take a corner at 5-10 kmh...fack turned it off and grazed a curb on a slow right hander - after a full stop.  Or lay off the gas I guess...I was trying to go sideways, but even after I let off, it said fack you and kept going sideways anyway (yeah yeah - told me so)  :P ::) ;D - fun in the empty church parking lot though.  Whooo-hoooo!!!

So...guess it's decision time.  Gotta go home and check my quoted prices again.  Figure out if I go Xice (because it's foolish not to) or $200 less for the Winterforce's's's's...or Blizzak...or...

...then again it's plus 3 or more in two days...more time to milk these POS's.  :rofl2:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2019, 01:46:41 pm »
^^^You certainly have an interesting way of looking at things sometimes.

Also, are you saying that the Ford Dealership's out the door price on a set of winter wheels, mounted, installed, with a warranty, is less than Costco's out the door price on the same set of tires?  Because I find that hard to believe.  I haven't met a dealership yet that could or would match Costco's price.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2019, 01:59:36 pm »
Dealer - Xice3 - $126 each.  $125 install (robbery) and balance. $15 tire BS tax and if I skip the $40 warranty would be about $725 all in? (I'll confirm after work)
Costco - Xice3 - $150 each, $80 install and balance, $15 BS tax, $4/tire BS TPMS BS + tax $790ish (-$70 rebate = $720). 

Those are actually the cheapest winter tires for my car at Costco.

So yeah, my local is "cheaper" (considering time to go to Wpg, meal out and so forth).  And I won't have to wait how many weeks or hours in line to get it done? 

For giggles...
Cdn Tire Xice3s are $145 and $15 enviro fee.  But they don't say what install and balance is or if they charge you extra for that special air that's so special and of course the fugly green valve stem caps.  123 choices at Cdn Tire - most are out of stock.

My kid says they're the best - it's what he has on the Mustang.  How would you know?  You've never had any other winter tires.  Got his iron ring yesterday...so I guess that means he's got the answers now.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 02:13:44 pm by BWII »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2019, 02:33:59 pm »
when we bought our Sorento, the dealership wanted $1299 for the steelies and tires combo...i believe at the time, i priced it out at Costco and it would have about $200 less at Costco...the dealership gave us 50% off as Ford at the time was giving a free winter tire package, so i spent the $650 since i couldn't get it for anywhere close to that price...but my purchase example was only because i bought the car too...if i was just there to get the tires, they would have been more expensive (in the area of $200+).

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2019, 08:00:08 am »
Dammit...

Guess what I had for supper yesterday...

I thought I got Xice quoted locally...turns out it's the Firestone's that are $126 ea.  So dollar for dollar...same as the Xice...which means they're probably cheaper at Costco than I can get locally. 
Haha...oops.  Oh well...did say "to confirm later".

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2019, 08:04:23 am »
Dammit...

I thought I got Xice quoted locally...turns out it's the Firestone's that are $126 ea.  So dollar for dollar...same as the Xice...which means they're probably cheaper at Costco than I can get locally. 

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2019, 08:08:28 am »
Dammit...

Lol, well at least you admitted your mistake.  Good on ya.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2019, 09:00:36 am »
 :rofl2:

It was Blizzaks - local dealer would be about $35 more installed.  (Wee bit) Cheaper per tire...more for install.  Blizzaks are good as Xice right?