Author Topic: When are winter tires considered done?  (Read 18357 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
When are winter tires considered done?
« on: November 13, 2019, 07:42:44 am »
I measured the tread depth of my winter tires and it was pretty interesting what the difference was. I don’t have an actual gauge so I used a screw driver bit so it’s not like it’s horribly accurate.
Passenger side about 4/32, driver side almost double. Can’t rotate left to right unless I swap them from the wheels. Never going to get directional tires again I know that much. Assuming they make non-directional tires.
Maybe that’s enough to get it to always have a bit of a pull to the left (usually corrected by swapping the left side front to back again).

At 4/32 I am probably safe to assume 2 of them are basically useless. Eh?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: When are winter tires considered done?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 08:16:11 am »
Why is one side more worn down?  Do you moonlight as a Nascar driver?

I'd say you're sure for 4 new tires.

Also, go buy a proper tire gauge.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 08:27:50 am »

Also, go buy a proper tire gauge.
Why everyone on kijiji uses a quarter  :rofl2:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 08:59:57 am »
I might even have one...I just have no idea if I actually do, and if I did...where would I have put it?  It's why I have about 5-6 hammers...I kept misplacing the one I had, so one Christmas, I got one from everybody.  :P  No more "Where's the hammer?" "I don't know".  There's gotta be one somewhere.  Hell I lost my flashlight a few months back, one of those from CT that extends too and is magnetic - good for car stuff.  So I bought 2 new ones on sale at Cdn Tire - nice bright LED suckers.  Not magnetic though so there is that, and they don't extend.  But damn are they bright.

Last week my kid finds the lost one - it was stuck on the furnace ducting in the room where we catch all the mice (2 more since yesterday!  ;D)  I had used it down there this spring to replace some rotted 2X4s, put it up on the ducting so it was out of the way...and left it there.  Lucky me I've never lost misplaced one of my kids.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 11:24:10 am »
I might even have one...I just have no idea if I actually do, and if I did...where would I have put it?  It's why I have about 5-6 hammers...I kept misplacing the one I had, so one Christmas, I got one from everybody.  :P  No more "Where's the hammer?" "I don't know".  There's gotta be one somewhere.  Hell I lost my flashlight a few months back, one of those from CT that extends too and is magnetic - good for car stuff.  So I bought 2 new ones on sale at Cdn Tire - nice bright LED suckers.  Not magnetic though so there is that, and they don't extend.  But damn are they bright.

Last week my kid finds the lost one - it was stuck on the furnace ducting in the room where we catch all the mice (2 more since yesterday!  ;D)  I had used it down there this spring to replace some rotted 2X4s, put it up on the ducting so it was out of the way...and left it there.  Lucky me I've never lost misplaced one of my kids.

I have hammers, bright orange tape-measures, utility knives, and magnetic LED lights stashed everywhere.   
Mr Pickypants

ltruong

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 11:30:37 am »

Haha for its caulking gun and snips.  Probably have 4 of each, can't find one

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 12:31:18 pm »
Went next door to the tire store. I was close. Right side about 4.5 left side just over 7.

So...now what to do. Swap left rear and right front?  Put the 7’s there and the 4’s in back.
I just spent $70 or so getting them balanced and now it’ll be another $30-40 to swap them around.
Still doesn’t make them round. And probably should get an alignment. Might be one reason it’s scary on any semblance of ice.

Or do I see if those new GYs are any good?  That’s what they sell. Also had some other brand I don’t remember.

Otherwise I’m spending $100+ on what in the end is essentially useless just to try to milk another year out of them because I’m a cheap basturd. (And I know I’ll get sh/t at home - maybe I just don’t tell anyone 😜)

Lie get crap. Spend money get crap.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 12:31:52 pm »
When you can't get out of your driveway/slide into the ditch
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 12:41:14 pm »
You’ve been to MB. Keep going from Brandon east. No hills to climb in the middle of the Red River valley.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 12:42:14 pm »
How old are your current tires?  And how much longer are you keeping the car?

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 02:05:20 pm »
A. This will be season 7
B. When this* stops...

*it was the best sands of time gif I could find... ;D

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 06:16:28 pm »
I started typing this 4 hours ago... Sands of time and all that....

7 years?  Just buy new tires.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 07:16:51 am »
Never discuss tires with your wife... ::) :banghead: :bang: :nono: :shake: :fall:

I'd just as soon buy local...it's easy, and I don't need to wait 5-10 shipping days and then try to make an appointment at Costco in the city.  She, she wants to know details down to the last dollar..."why you spend $1000 if you can get others for $870? I get points at Costco and it pays for our membership (buy enough there and they send you get a cheque on renewal which ends up being more than the membership was...) They have a $70 Costco card if you buy there blah blah blah...let's discuss this before you make a rash decision. This comes out of your Christmas money!" (Oh FFS...stop...I don't even want to buy tires now.)

I should've just made a rash decision... :P

Also...huh...Xice3s only have 10/32 to start, everyone else seems to have 12/32 tread.  If I'm only at 7 on the two...can't be much worse than a new set of Michelin's. 

Also weird, next door, the GY Ultra Grip winters are more than Xice, Blizzaks, Pirellis...I'm like what?  That :censor: I have on my car costs MORE than what are supposedly better tires?  Paid less than $500 US when I got them many moons ago. 

And...Tire Rack prices are virtually the same in US $ as ours are in Cdn in Canada.  'merican's should be flocking here to buy their tires.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 07:25:19 am »
IMO, the age of your tires is a bigger deal than the tread life.

Or just buy two new tires and live life on the wild side.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 10:08:02 am »
There was still a fair amount of tread left (I didn't measure but estimate 6/32 or 7/32) on my last set of winter tires when I replaced them but there were 7 years old like yours and were not performing great anymore. My guess is the rubber became hard due to age reducing their overall performance.  Like others have said, I'd just buy new ones due to age alone.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 11:35:09 am »
Check Kijiji??

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 11:40:36 am »
Just buy some new tires man....

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 01:29:26 pm »
That's the plan...I'm just waiting until I have the proper input authority from the peanut section.   :P

Have an alignment booked for next week - see it that at least helps make it drive straight (when normally it's just a matter of swapping the right - or left - side front to back. Cured!).  Probably hasn't had one since I bought the car so WTF.  Hope the kids at the dealer know what they're doing.  Pretty sure no one is over 25 that works there.  X fingers!

And then...I guess...we'll see...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 02:21:59 pm »
So, swapped the left rear and the right front around.  Which means the 7's are in the front and the 4's are in the rear.  Still not 100% sure I want to get new tires yet - hasn't snowed and the roads are clear and there's so many choices I'm still trying to figure if I want to shop price (Firestone Winterforce for $850ish or Blizzaks for $1000) or what.  Going to skip the Xice since they only come with 10/32s of tread...which is basically not much more than the 7/32's on the 2 good ones I have now.  What's the point?

Have an alignment set up for tomorrow AM - but when they switched the tires around it drives straight again (found out also that when the tire place re-balanced them 2 weeks ago, they also rotated them.  FFS, I do that when I put them on...fack. Do not rotate!)  Not sure they'll get my business...the one wheel looks like it went through a hamburger grinder...of course I can't prove it wasn't like that when I dropped it off, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that when I dropped it off.  I thought they used plastic guards or changers that didn't touch the wheels anymore.  Maybe they don't.  And I don't want GY's anyway. 
A little afraid to get an alignment in case they eff it up - or if the bushings aren't quite new anymore and they cause more damage than I want to pay for...which is apt to happen.  Stay tuned... :P

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 02:28:14 pm »
So, swapped the left rear and the right front around.  Which means the 7's are in the front and the 4's are in the rear.

Just so you know, that's backwards of how it should be.

Going to skip the Xice since they only come with 10/32s of tread

And this is foolish thinking since the X-Ice is one of the longest lasting winter tires.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 02:29:58 pm by tortoise »