Author Topic: Blizzak DM-V2 versus Michelin Latitude XIce Xi2  (Read 14301 times)

AP

Blizzak DM-V2 versus Michelin Latitude XIce Xi2
« on: November 07, 2019, 01:37:38 pm »
[deleted at request of poster]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 06:53:35 pm by ALin »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Blizzak DM-V2 versus Michelin Latitude XIce Xi2
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 01:44:23 pm »
See both of these every day in multiple applications. Out of all the choices to us working in parts, the Bridgestones are on our 4x2 work truck. Today in the snow, they were epic.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 01:49:47 pm »
The Blizzaks are incredible in the snow, but their handling is pretty mushy.  So if you're doing a lot of highway, go with the Michelin.  If you prioritize snow/ice traction, Blizzak all the way.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 01:51:33 pm »
what's the tire size??

our Sorento AWD has X-Ice3 winter tires and it's an absolute beast in the snow.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 02:05:59 pm »
Any truck/SUV/CUV = Blizzak  ANy vehicle with actual handling = Michelin

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 02:13:54 pm »
I don't think it's about extreme traction.  In the case of my Highlander the Blizzaks respond slower to steering inputs and seem to require more steering correction when going down the highway.  Not a deal breaker, but definitely noticeable.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 02:14:50 pm »
It doesn't take much to "test the limits" of winter rubber on dry roads. I can feel the lack of lateral stability with my WS-90s just doing a normal lane change on the highway at 120 km/h. Nothing concerning, but it's noticeable. Even worse with a good crosswind.

I guess the question is how much (if any) better the X-Ices would be in the same situation.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 02:56:30 pm »
I haven’t tried the Latitude Xi2 yet think X-Ice is better on ice. I haven’t really been impressed with any of the sets of Blizzaks yet including the DM-V2 on my old Sequoia. But then everyone told me that I was expecting too much expecting a big SUV to stop and turn as well as a compact sedan, so I sold the Sequoia.

Yesterday, I sold the Blizzak WS80s my Matrix came with and got a set of X-Ice Xi3.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 03:02:51 pm »
i was happy with my Blizzaks (WS60s) on my Rio5, and am so far pleased with the XI3s on there now (although, i haven't yet really tested out their snow/ice performance as it's still too early for that)...honestly, they're both so good, there's likely no bad choice here.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 03:19:41 pm »
Yesterday, I sold the Blizzak WS80s my Matrix came with and got a set of X-Ice Xi3.

What didn't you like about the WS-80's?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 03:36:52 pm »
My Highlander is an unstoppable winter beast on its Blizzaks. The difference between them and the Generals was shocking to me.

Yes, dry pavement handing on the V2s is not great. But otherwise, holy hell, they’re fantastic. I almost never see the traction control light anymore.

They’re wearing well too. Put a lot of kms on them last winter and they’re only down 1/32 or so.

I was very hesitant because I’d never used the light truck Blizzak before and didn’t know much about them. Not a moment of regret. Even on last winters horrendous freezing road coated roads the suv felt in total control. My main worry was people running into me, as I still had actual stopping ability.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 03:39:44 pm »
My Highlander is an unstoppable winter beast on its Blizzaks. The difference between them and the Generals was shocking to me.

Yes, dry pavement handing on the V2s is not great. But otherwise, holy hell, they’re fantastic. I almost never see the traction control light anymore.

They’re wearing well too. Put a lot of kms on them last winter and they’re only down 1/32 or so.

I was very hesitant because I’d never used the light truck Blizzak before and didn’t know much about them. Not a moment of regret. Even on last winters horrendous freezing road coated roads the suv felt in total control. My main worry was people running into me, as I still had actual stopping ability.

Your Highlander must not make much power, because I can easily get the DM-V2's to break loose, even in four-wheel-drive. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 03:43:59 pm »
Not having an empty bed probably helps.  I agree, I have to drive like a lunatic to get the traction light on.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 04:06:05 pm »

Your Highlander must not make much power, because I can easily get the DM-V2's to break loose, even in four-wheel-drive.

Hmm the LR4 had DM-V2s and 375HP/375tq and it takes a lot to get the tires to break loose. It is full time AWD with  locking center and rear diff though. The Ridgeline only has 270HP? and again I really have to hoon it to get the tires to break loose. It has an open front and an e locking rear. I think both systems are probably superior to a standard part time 4WD system though..

Having just swapped DMV1s for 2's. Snow ability feels about the same but I think the 2s are a little better tracking in the dry.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 04:34:04 pm »
The size is 235/65/17.  I don't think the Xi3 is available in that size.

My reasoning is this:  I get winter tires primarily for the really bad days.  Giving up some bare road performance is, in my case, a price I am willing to pay for strong snow and ice performance.  The Blizzak DM-V1s have worked well in that regard previously.  But I am open to the Michelin Latitude Xi2's as well.  I suspect the difference is ultimately that the Xi2's perform better in non-extreme conditions.

It doesn't look like Xi3 come in this size.
FWIW Xi3s in my RWD application have been excellent and I've been through the worst of winter storms. Never got stuck anywhere. On an SUV, unless you drive through corn fields I can't imagine you can get stuck. X-Ice are well known for good road manners and low rolling resistance, which with current gas prices is a big deal for me.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:35:38 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 05:03:11 pm »
I can't speak to the Michelins but I had the DM-V1's on the ML followed by a set of the V2's. The X5 is now entering it's third winter with DM-V2's. I'm a big fan of their performance in snow and frankly,  I don't find the bare highway performance at 120+ particularly bad either.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 05:33:20 pm »
The HL having 225/70 R16 is helping nothing

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 08:18:25 pm »
I’ve had the Latitudes, DMV1s, and GSi5’s on trucks/SUVs.   For pure ice and snow performance the GSi’s win.  For ice and handling I would pick the Latitudes. DMV’s are somewhere in the middle I guess. I’ve never really thought they were great, maybe the DMV2s are better.

Of course this all means nothing as all these tires were on different vehicles.  ;D
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Online sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 09:08:07 pm »
I’ve had the Latitudes, DMV1s, and GSi5’s on trucks/SUVs.   For pure ice and snow performance the GSi’s win.  For ice and handling I would pick the Latitudes. DMV’s are somewhere in the middle I guess. I’ve never really thought they were great, maybe the DMV2s are better.

Of course this all means nothing as all these tires were on different vehicles.  ;D

Excuse my ignorance....what is  a GSi5?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 09:21:40 pm »
Sorry, Toyo Observe GSi5. I think the GSi6 is out this year.

Edit: the GSi6 is a performance version.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 09:26:03 pm by bridgecity »