Author Topic: Bought 4 new tires with one having different DOT  (Read 13778 times)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Re: Bought 4 new tires with one having different DOT
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 07:30:43 pm »
Uh, you think maybe Michelin has strict and rigid standards globally?

Based on my experiences in the Michelin plants in NS, this surely wouldn’t bother me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 07:35:55 pm »

Based on my experiences in the Michelin plants in NS, this surely wouldn’t bother me.

This.

There's no way Michelin wants to get "Firestoned" because of bad quality in even 1 factory.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 08:42:07 pm »

This.

There's no way Michelin wants to get "Firestoned" because of bad quality in even 1 factory.

I would tend to agree, Michelin is not going to risk their brand by being lax in different countries. 
That said, I'd take a close look at tire code and construction to be sure it is actually the same tire, not just the same size tire.    Make sure it has the same speed and load ratings, layers of ply, overlay, etc.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 10:24:24 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline Watoko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hyundai Elantra GT
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 09:04:56 pm »

This.

I would tend to agree, Michelin is not going to risk their brand by being lax in different countries.  Goodyear, maybe... :rofl2:
That said, I'd take a close look at tire code and construction to be sure it is actually the same tire, not just the same size tire.    Make sure it has the same speed and load ratings, layers of ply, overlay, etc.

Good tip, never thought of that and will take a look at that!

After considering all the advice in this thread, I went back to Costco and demanded that I get all 4 tires that were made in Russia.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 09:10:33 pm »
^^^ High five  ;D  What did they say though?

BTW My X-ice3 from 2014 were made in Thailand and another two I just bought to replace the partially worn rear tires came from the same place. I like them a lot.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:19:32 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 10:39:53 pm »

This.

exactly...everything would have to be "Michelin Spec"...period.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2019, 12:38:11 am »

This.

I would tend to agree, Michelin is not going to risk their brand by being lax in different countries.  Goodyear, maybe... :rofl2:

After considering all the advice in this thread, I went back to Costco and demanded that I get all 4 tires that were made in Russia.

Good, you can't trust those Spaniards lol.

Also with the "Michelin spec" thing, if their quality control is so tight how did I end up with a lopsided tire a few years back that could not be balanced? Michelin admitted the fault and replaced it. It should never have left the factory..(the reps words, not mine)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2019, 12:39:59 am »

This.

Good, you can't trust those Spaniards lol.

Also with the "Michelin spec" thing, if their quality control is so tight how did I end up with a lopsided tire a few years back that could not be balanced? Michelin admitted the fault and replaced it. It should never have left the factory..(the reps words, not mine)

:censor: happens.....

Probably a very small percentage that won't balance.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2019, 01:30:58 am »
I should have checked if it was Russian lol.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2019, 06:38:20 am »
it was defective...that doesn't have anything to do with where it was made...that's also why there is a warranty, because sometimes you get a defective product.

Offline capriracer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-2
    • View Profile
    • www.barrystiretech.com
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2019, 07:04:25 am »
Allow me to fill in some gaps.  For background, I am a retired engineer who worked for a major tire manufacturer for over 40 years.  During my employment, I designed tires, tested tires, inspected returns, and in my final years, served as the guy who answered questions from both consumers and dealers - and this question could have been one of those asked.

The company I worked for DID produce the "same tire" in different plants.  I put those words in quotes because they weren't actually the same.  They were built on different equipment, used different raw materials, etc.

- BUT -

There was a spec issued by the designer that covered the basic design and all tires produced had to meet that spec.  The plants had a small amount of leeway as to what they could do, but in essence they produced a tire that was remarkably similar regardless of where it was made. We considered these tires interchangeable between plants.

So, No!  Just because that one tire was made in Russia doesn't mean it was better or worse.  I am sure Michelin took similar steps to insure that tires produced in different plants met the central specs. 

CapriRacer

Visit my website:  www.barrystiretech.com

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2019, 10:58:49 am »
Perhaps there is more to it than just location but the chances for variation must go up with manufacturing out of two plants. For years I used Michelin S12 motocross tires that were produced out of Spain. Michelin then moved S12 production to Thailand (IIRC) and the tires were never the same again. Knobs chunked at a far faster rate and there were problems with the sidewall construction. Michelin insisted that the tire was built with the same materials, formulation and construction. Despite this the tires continued to underwhelm compared to the earlier Spanish versions. Either Michelin was lying or there is more to it than just having a recipe and a plant. I will never know as Michelin deep sixed the S12 last year. RIP.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2019, 07:53:04 pm »
I would think on a public road application, where variables like road surface, outside temperature, varying load position day to day in vehicle, varying inflation pressure between tires, driver competence, etc are much more likely to affect vehicle tire performance than having a single tire from a different plant, that meets a common corporate specification.

If you are running track days at Mosport, then I might question an odd tire. But for everyday usage, I'd worry more that your vehicle is in optimum shape, (how old are the brakes? even wear side to side? Any scoring? (right side front disks frequently have increased scoring compared to left front,) Front Struts? Rear shocks? endlinks? bushings etc?) Lastly, what is the mileage of the car? If it is a normal 3 to 4 year old car with say 60,000 to 100,000 kms on it?

I (personally) think you will have more tire variation strictly from inflation pressure variation than you would ever notice from equivalent tires from different manufacturing plants.

Offline Clarise

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Honda Civic
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2019, 09:44:29 am »
Similar situation to OP. I have one tire made in Russia and it looks like a second tire is made in Spain and the other two dont have a country marked but the plant code '22' I looked up looks like it could be Russia also. There also does not appear to be a date code stamped on two tires. Is this right?

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 09:47:05 am by Clarise »

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2019, 09:50:05 am »
Did you check the other side of the tire for the date code? Sometimes it is only on one side of the tire.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Clarise

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Honda Civic
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2019, 10:47:54 am »
No I never could the other side because they were already installed. I will have to wait until winter is over. I didn't now this before now. Thank you.
BTW these are NOT from Costco it is from a private Tire/Rim shop.
Thanks.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2019, 11:06:27 am »
No I never could the other side because they were already installed. I will have to wait until winter is over. I didn't now this before now. Thank you.
BTW these are NOT from Costco it is from a private Tire/Rim shop.
Thanks.
i really don't think it matters.