Author Topic: Bought 4 new tires with one having different DOT  (Read 13792 times)

Offline Watoko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hyundai Elantra GT
Bought 4 new tires with one having different DOT
« on: October 20, 2019, 10:15:00 pm »
Hi everyone, I am new here AND new to buying tires. I recently purchased 4 new Michelin X Ice 3 tires from Costco. I was checking the dot numbers and realized that one tire was different from the other 3 that I got. The tire that was different was manufactured 4 weeks earlier and was made in Russia versus the other 3 that were made in Spain.

The manufacture date is probably not an issue given that it's only a difference of 4 weeks, but I am wondering whether or not the different manufacturing site can cause any issues in the long run. Does anyone have any insight into this? Should I request to get a tire that is identical to the other 3, or is it normal to be given tires manufactured in different places.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Bought 4 new tires with one having different DOT
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 11:03:40 pm »
i wouldn't worry about it...Michelin has plants globally and they likely shuffle inventory around as needed.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 11:31:13 pm »
Well, obviously the Russian tire will be better in deep snow  :P

Personally, I'd OCD over this and have Costco replace it, but that's just me. Most likely there will be no difference. Check if load and speed ratings match.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 12:42:13 am »
In Russia tire balances you.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 08:58:54 am »
I would just drive and enjoy.  To me, dwelling on this would be to sweat the small stuff.  I don’t even think asking for a substitute would be a reasonable customer service request.  A retailer presumably cannot control these variables.  The only way it could possibly matter is if one manufacturing facility produced a better tire than the other.  And if that’s true, how do you know the Russian tire is inferior to the Spain tires versus the opposite?  This is not worth fussing about.  Of course, then you might wonder “we’ll, if one tire is better, it could destabilize control to have but one better performing tire...”. I wouldn’t do anything about this.  Totally not worth it.

100% this.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 09:42:04 am »
I would just drive and enjoy.  To me, dwelling on this would be to sweat the small stuff.  I don’t even think asking for a substitute would be a reasonable customer service request.  A retailer presumably cannot control these variables.  The only way it could possibly matter is if one manufacturing facility produced a better tire than the other.  And if that’s true, how do you know the Russian tire is inferior to the Spain tires versus the opposite?  This is not worth fussing about.  Of course, then you might wonder “we’ll, if one tire is better, it could destabilize control to have but one better performing tire...”. I wouldn’t do anything about this.  Totally not worth it.

100% this.
Yep, this.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Watoko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hyundai Elantra GT
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 09:42:40 am »

Thanks guys, you've put me at ease. :P I didn't want to be "that guy" which is why I wanted to check!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 09:45:04 am by Watoko »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 11:05:31 am »
That Russian tire is going to bite you in the a$$ at some point.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 11:44:56 am »

Personally, I'd OCD over this and have Costco replace it, but that's just me. Most likely there will be no difference. Check if load and speed ratings match.

+1
I would just go back to Costco and have the Russian tire replaced.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 11:55:44 am »

+1

You guys are on crack if you think this is a reasonable thing to do.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 12:14:58 pm »

Judging by the driving videos from Russia, I would be very weary of their tire manufacturing.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 12:32:40 pm »

Judging by the driving videos from Russia, I would be very weary of their tire manufacturing.
those are the drivers and/or they don't have winter tires...it's also the way the roads/intersections are marked/lit.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 12:51:45 pm »
I see where this thread is going  ;D

In Putin's Russia ppl don't usually bear arms. They arm bears  :P

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 12:53:32 pm »
I see where this thread is going  ;D

In Putin's Russia ppl don't usually bear arms. They arm bears  :P

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 01:13:03 pm »

+1

Costco has an awesome return policy. I ain't satisfied!. Here is your money back sir.

You guys are on crack if you think this is a reasonable thing to do.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 01:28:17 pm »
Even a 100% satisfaction standard should be subject to a self-regulation standard of some sort.  It is simply not reasonable to demand a tire replacement where there is absolutely no known reason to object to the performance of the tire.  And for all we know the replacement tire will likewise be from Russia...

I think insisting all 4 tires have a similar DOT is not unreasonable. I almost made a stink when Costco installed 1 1/2 year old Blizzaks on my winter wheels. Those ain't fresh! A reasonable complaint considering my old set dies due to old age and cracking vs tread wear.

Plus: Russia.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 02:00:50 pm »
Even a 100% satisfaction standard should be subject to a self-regulation standard of some sort.  It is simply not reasonable to demand a tire replacement where there is absolutely no known reason to object to the performance of the tire.  And for all we know the replacement tire will likewise be from Russia...

I think insisting all 4 tires have a similar DOT is not unreasonable. I almost made a stink when Costco installed 1 1/2 year old Blizzaks on my winter wheels. Those ain't fresh! A reasonable complaint considering my old set dies due to old age and cracking vs tread wear.

Plus: Russia.

Well, now we are talking about a separate concern.  A complaint over 18 month old tires has more to commend it than the concern raised in this thread.  We know that tires degrade with age.  We do not know that Spain does a better job manufacturing the same tire as the analogous Russian factory (or vice versa). 

"Yes, I would like to purchase 4 winter tires.  Only the ones manufactured in Spain will do, please and thank you."

No but I question the consistency of production from one plant to match another. If you bought a set of brake pads and three out of the four were stamped "made in Germany" and one was stamped "made in China" it would be OK with you? . Same pad number so composition and quality should be the same? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 02:03:56 pm »
Yes.  Okay by me.

Geez, if I worried about that granular level of detail, I would be in treatment for chronic anxiety.

;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 02:44:16 pm »
the automation machines/robots produce the products the same whether the plant is located in Russia, China or Canada...it's given a task to perform to produce the products, it doesn't care where it is located.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 06:30:24 pm »
the automation machines/robots produce the products the same whether the plant is located in Russia, China or Canada...it's given a task to perform to produce the products, it doesn't care where it is located.

What of the chemical make up of the feedstock? Is there an allowable variation? Judging by the refinement of Russian products (Lada, T34, any Aeroflot plane) I would say +/- 10% lol.