Author Topic: Car and Driver tests the C8  (Read 12514 times)

Car and Driver tests the C8
« on: October 15, 2019, 06:00:20 pm »
Post content deleted at request of original poster.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 03:13:53 pm by autoTRADER.ca »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Car and Driver tests the C8
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 07:24:15 pm »
The BASE car rips off 11.2 at 122?  HOLY HELL.

I commend GM for essentially building a new NSX. The live-able usable super car.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 07:33:49 pm »
The BASE car rips off 11.2 at 122?  HOLY HELL.

I commend GM for essentially building a new NSX. The live-able usable super car.
agreed...you can't argue with it's performance chops, all the while keeping the value quotient strong, something the last generation of NSX abandoned.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 07:48:35 pm »
I commend GM too for what they have accomplished. A very, very good first outing in the segment. Wow this thing is fast off the line.

That being said, there are some common complaints I have seen with the reviews I have read: cheap materials in the B and C touch points, the cockpit is very Top Gun and not a refined as, say, an Italian car or a Porsche - understandable, it is a Corvette. Also read that it tends to understeer more than desired, but perhaps some chassis tuning will iron that out in time. Finally, apparently the $60k price tag buys you a car you don't want, everyone should opt for the Z51 and sport exhaust etc. The base car will be very underwhelming. The car seems to have a lot more chassis than engine, so the real car you will lust after will be the new Z06 or ZR1 (hopefully with torque vectoring hybrid power and a street version of the C8R DOHC flat-plane crank engine...that thing sounds just MEAN).

Criticisms aside, this thing is out-NSX'ing the new NSX. Well done GM.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 07:52:51 pm »

Criticisms aside, this thing is out-NSX'ing the new NSX. Well done GM.

On price...I'd agree.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 08:29:58 pm »
Wait until the Z06 drops.

1000hp hybrid or bust!   ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 10:01:10 am »
More than enough car for us on public roads... hell, even on the track most of us probably could only wring out 8/10's of it's full potential  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 10:02:26 am »
This is pretty damned epic.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 11:23:12 am »
That being said, there are some common complaints I have seen with the reviews I have read: cheap materials in the B and C touch points, the cockpit is very Top Gun and not a refined as, say, an Italian car or a Porsche - understandable, it is a Corvette.

If people want more refinement then they need to open up their wallets. The amount of car you get for the price is incredible. Some people are never happy.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 12:54:06 pm »
A mid engined super car for under $100K in Canada?  I'll take a few hard plastics.

I've been binging videos of this car and what I think without seeing it or driving it...

1. It looks amazing. I love the looks of the C7, but this is gorgeous. Clean and modern and will cause many snapped necks in traffic.

2. I like the fighter plane cockpit interior. It's different and passengers can suck it up. The material compromises are less than I thought GM would have to bring to keep the price low.

3. The LT2 engine isn't a screamer but makes sweet noise and 495 normally aspirated V-8 ponies in a world of turbo sixes and fours?  Yeah!!!

4.  Who in the hell designs chassis at GM?  We aren't they famous?  GMs been building some of the best handling cars money can buy lately. And then selling them to the public at bargain prices.

5. Can GM have all their engineers and product designs serve time with the Camaro/Corvette gangs?  They need this kind of passion infused into all their products.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 02:05:01 pm »
A mid engined super car for under $100K in Canada?  I'll take a few hard plastics.

How much would you have to pay to get better interior materials though? I feel like at this price point the difference would be fairly incremental, and probably well worth it even if only to prevent that from being a talking point in all the reviews.

Regardless, the interior is probably still nicer than a Tesla's.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 02:17:06 pm »

How much would you have to pay to get better interior materials though? I feel like at this price point the difference would be fairly incremental, and probably well worth it even if only to prevent that from being a talking point in all the reviews.

Agreed on both points.  Still - pretty staggering value here overall.  The thing that blows me away most - thought not a headliner for this car, understandably - is the ride quality.  There is ZERO penalty to pay in terms of ride comfort for all this performance.  I can say that I am well past ever again putting up with a harsh and jittery ride in any car, sporting or otherwise.  Excellent performance, outstanding ride comfort, impressive styling, comparative bargain price - I'll take those four right now even if the interior isn't all it should be.  Mad props to GM.  When one of these rolls by it will render every 911 invisible.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 02:22:55 pm by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 02:29:42 pm »

Agreed on both points.  Still - pretty staggering value here overall.  The thing that blows me away most - thought not a headliner for this car, understandably - is the ride quality.  There is ZERO penalty to pay in terms of ride comfort for all this performance.  I can say that I am well past ever again putting up with a harsh and jittery ride in any car, sporting or otherwise.  Excellent performance, outstanding ride comfort, impressive styling, comparative bargain price - I'll take those four right now even if the interior isn't all it should be.  Mad props to GM.  When one of these rolls by it will render every 911 invisible.
agreed (and i love 911s)...but it would be interesting if they have a "Prestige" trim or something...make it $5k more for some nicer inside bits (is that enough to up the quality level)??...for example, want the track package??...get the Z51 package for $5k for various go fast bits (example)...don't need the track stuff, get the Prestige package for $5k for leathers, aluminum trim, etc (example)...just a thought.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 02:44:06 pm »
Less than $100K for a mid engined car with super car chops, the reliability of an LS engine, the proper sound of a V8 and it looks good, damn GM, you done good!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 02:46:33 pm »
They have that already man. You’re making it sound like the interior is covered in plastic. It’s not. This about managing expectations.

As has been said, $100k creates some expectations regarding interior quality.  The C8 is pretty much straight A's everywhere else.  Not here.  Nobody has said it's garbage Tupperware quality.  But some have noted that it is a bit less than expected / hoped for in terms of interior quality in a six figure car.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 02:47:39 pm »
There's lots of cars for you dash strokers.  The Corvette is a performance car, period.  The car's interior is pretty damned nice, the hard plastics are in places you have to really look.

Listening to Matt banging off shifts with the dual clutch also has me convinced  I'd fall in love with the transmission too.

Man, I can't believe this car is here.  For most of my life I've read rumours about the mid engined Corvette.  Imagine if we'd had a Fiero kinda POS in the 80s instead of this?  It might have killed the Vette and the world would have missed out on some amazing cars, including the C8...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 02:49:09 pm »
There's lots of cars for you dash strokers.  The Corvette is a performance car, period.  The car's interior is pretty damned nice, the hard plastics are in places you have to really look.

Listening to Matt banging off shifts with the dual clutch also has me convinced  I'd fall in love with the transmission too.

Man, I can't believe this car is here.  For most of my life I've read rumours about the mid engined Corvette.  Imagine if we'd had a Fiero kinda POS in the 80s instead of this?  It might have killed the Vette and the world would have missed out on some amazing cars, including the C8...

You can sit on the side of the track with your on fire 458 and point out the merits of the leather covered dash and soft close ash tray to the firefighters  ;D

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 02:50:36 pm »
Besides the usual for GM ugly steering wheel the interior looks good to me. From everything I've read this a home run.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 02:54:22 pm »
Where is this six figures talk coming from?  I thought the Corvette was starting at $69 998 in Canada?  2LT and 3LT are $80k and $85k respectively....

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 03:09:12 pm »
They have that already man. You’re making it sound like the interior is covered in plastic. It’s not. This about managing expectations.

As has been said, $100k creates some expectations regarding interior quality.  The C8 is pretty much straight A's everywhere else.  Not here.  Nobody has said it's garbage Tupperware quality.  But some have noted that it is a bit less than expected / hoped for in terms of interior quality in a six figure car.

When I reach under the seat to fish out the toonie that rollout out of my track pants...I expect my hands to brush up against material that feels like silk...:)
I love it when a plan comes together.