Author Topic: The Best Touch Up Paint Tool  (Read 4630 times)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
The Best Touch Up Paint Tool
« on: October 13, 2019, 06:51:24 pm »
This is a review of what I consider the best (and must have) tool for touch ups for your car. It is the Loew Cornell paint pen tool. It can be purchased here for a mere $12 and is worth every penny. https://www.amazon.ca/Loew-Cornell-Fine-Line-Painting-Pen/dp/B004YZXV8U/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=loew+cornell+fine+point+pen&qid=1571006192&sprefix=loew+Cornell&sr=8-3

It's beyond easy to use. Merely transfer some touch up paint into the tiny cup and gently tap the chip until it's filled. On the tiny, bead blast like chips on the hood, the results are incredible. Without this tool, it would be extremely tough to get a good result. With this tool, anyone can do it. One or two taps and the chip disappears before your eyes. And larger normal sized chips, pretty much the same thing. You tap away on the outside edges and work your way to the center. The edge of the chip serves as a containment for the paint. A couple larger chips needed a second touch up as the paint dried and leveled down. You just tap a few more times to get the paint at the same level as the original paint. It's easy, quick and the results are spectacular.

IQs car had many, many chips. Big and small. The car has 400k and is daily driven. These chips are particularly noticeable since the car is black and the chips look white or gray. In less than an hour, she had filed in every single chip. As mentioned earlier, the tiny chips are nearly completely invisible. You have to :censor: your head, look in the right light to see them. Overall for the time invested the results are spectacular. She had never done this before either.

If anyone has chips needing touch up...this is THE tool.

Have a look at the below videos to see the results of what this tool can do.

https://youtu.be/TACqoHOrBlE

5 minute 30 second mark

https://youtu.be/Uz-zW-cLdUs

2 minutes 20 second mark
https://youtu.be/XYDDIhg6_iQ

https://youtu.be/xtMU-dC55ws
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 07:10:46 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: The Best Touch Up Paint Tool
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 07:57:07 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Ron. Will definitely order one next time I buy something from amazon.
Just one comment after watching the videos: Varsol or any other paint thinner is probably better than alcohol in cleaning the tool.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 08:11:11 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Ron. Will definitely order one next time I buy something from amazon.
Just one comment after watching the videos: Varsol or any other paint thinner is probably better than alcohol in cleaning the tool.
Sure.

But there is so little paint in there you could likely use a tissue and water and it would still be clean.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 08:19:39 pm »
Where can I find touch-up paint for my car? I know dealers sell pre-filled pens but I'd rather get a small bottle.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 08:25:03 pm »
Where can I find touch-up paint for my car? I know dealers sell pre-filled pens but I'd rather get a small bottle.
I use pre filled pens. It's the cheapest way and the color is usually a perfect match.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 08:30:02 pm by rrocket »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 08:38:04 pm »
I use pre filled pens. It's the cheapest way and the color is usually a perfect match.

How do you get the paint out? It would prolly make sense since I have clear coat and the pre-filled pen comes with that too.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 08:41:23 pm »

How do you get the paint out? It would prolly make sense since I have clear coat and the pre-filled pen comes with that too.
Just drip it from the brush.

No brush but felt tip? Gently remove felt tip and drip into cup.

Can't remove felt tip? Push the felt tip into the edge of the cup. Felt tip will saturate and drip into the cup.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 08:43:24 pm by rrocket »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 08:52:54 pm »
^^^ Thanks again. I ordered the paint tool. There is a deep scratch to be done and i had no luck with the dealers felt pen.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 09:00:19 pm »
^^^ Thanks again. I ordered the paint tool. There is a deep scratch to be done and i had no luck with the dealers felt pen.
If it's really deep AND wide you'll likely need a couple of touch up sessions because the paint will settle.

Let us know how it turns out.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 09:05:56 pm by rrocket »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 09:58:28 am »
If it's really deep AND wide you'll likely need a couple of touch up sessions because the paint will settle.

Let us know how it turns out.

Sure. I don't even think we need to wait  :P

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 11:03:59 am »
Thanks for this product review. My black Kia Forte 5 has quite a few paint chips on front of car. I left them alone as I knew me trying to fix them with a brush or a pen would make more of a mess.  This product looks great and I will order one.

I can see using this on easily on top of hood but I am concerned about doing front of bumper. Just wondering how well it work on a vertical surfaces like bumpers and doors. Does the paint drip out if held sideways doing a vertical surface or do you work holding the pen on a bit of an angle.

While most videos look great I must say that the one with the sandblasted black BMW look pretty bad in the end. It might just be the lighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYDDIhg6_iQ&feature=youtu.be
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 02:27:06 pm »
It's best on flat surfaces.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 01:33:39 pm »
Well after lot of procrastinating,  I finally got around to using this Cornell tool today on my black KIA forte 5. Lots of tiny stone chips on hood and bumper. I bought the car 2 years old. Suspect previous owner may have been on a lot of gravel roads. Either that or the front end was repainted and paint is really weak. 

So I washed the car real well and brought it into the garage as I thought the florescent lighting would be great for me to see properly. Turns out it was not ideal and I had to move the car outside to see properly. I was really nervous not to screw it up. Did not take long to get the hang of it and things were going pretty good. I was filling in larger chips and even touching tiny tiny little marks. I was even able to do some chips on front of bumper but it is a little harder on vertical surfaces.

I am not skilled so if I can do this, most people can. You need a steady hand so do not do it after a night of Crown Royal. :D I also found out I could use better reading glasses for work like this.

I had to pull the plug before I finished because just as I got rolling I realized there is a ton of pollen in the air today and it was literally raining down on the car. It was crazy. It was hard to tell chips from pollen. No doubt the pollen was going to get into any paint I was putting down.

Cleaning the tool is a bit of a pain. I only had paint thinner on hand. It did not work that well so I really had to make an effort to clean it properly. I will get a better product for cleaning next time.

Overall very happy and will continue another day when they is not a sh$tload of %&$#@* pollen in the air.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 01:38:25 pm by Slow_lane »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 03:36:10 pm »

Where is the best place to get the pens?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 04:17:57 pm »

Where is the best place to get the pens?

My KIA dealer only had the pens. But I got a small bottle of paint at a local auto parts store that does paint mixing for perfect matches. I got my Cornell tool from Amazon. I paid quite bit more than it is going for now  >:(. Now only $8.53 with free shipping.

https://www.amazon.ca/Loew-Cornell-Fine-Line-Painting-Pen/dp/B004YZXV8U/ref=sr_1_2?crid=39H9QPQH5981&dchild=1&keywords=loew-cornell+fine+line+painting+pen&qid=1619640815&sprefix=cornell+paint%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-2

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 04:23:36 pm »
Here are shots of the hood that I touched up. If you look at it from the right angle you can see the tiny touch ups but it looks pretty good. A whole lot better that white stone chips. There were chips along leading edge when the KIA logo is as well. All fixed!!!! :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 04:35:23 pm by Slow_lane »

Offline redmont

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 09 civic, '16 f150
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2021, 12:00:33 am »
Nice. Looks like that tool is very handy for doing touch-ups.