Author Topic: Golf GTI v.s. Jetta GLI  (Read 8656 times)

Golf GTI v.s. Jetta GLI
« on: October 11, 2019, 08:47:03 pm »
Post content deleted at request of original poster.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 03:14:03 pm by autoTRADER.ca »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Golf GTI v.s. Jetta GLI
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 12:12:43 am »
That was stupid. Not comparing apples to apples, a base GLI and a loaded up GTI.

My car has active dampers, leather power seats, a sunroof, display screen instead of analogue gauges, and the same infotainment as the GTI. And it was cheaper than the GTI.

That extra 150lbs buys a much roomier back seat, a big trunk, and a quieter interior at the expense of a couple of ticks in the 0-60 time.

The GLI isn't quite as nimble, it doesn't get the plaid cloth seats, or the golfball shifter.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 08:28:34 am »
a fully equipped GLI is $35,654...a fully equipped GTI is $41,609...that's a difference of $5,955...i love the GTI as much as the next person, but i really don't think the GTI and GLI are that far apart, and $6k is a lot of money.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 11:22:11 am »
Agree with dj and Sir 0.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 01:07:07 pm »
I don't think Jetta is a Golf with a trunk by any means; I think they are two different cars with two different missions, sharing a lot of parts without being quite the same. The GLI has the upper hand when it comes to value defined as features per $$$ for sure, but for some buyers that's not the beginning and the end of it. I would spend the extras $$$ if I had them and I wanted a sporty hatch not a sedan.

The comparison between the two is not totally apples to oranges, save for comparing the cost between base model and fully loaded, but kind of like oranges and clementines maybe ....

BTW: From what I see on VW.ca Build & Price, the price difference between a fully loaded GTI and a fully loaded GLI (not the GLI 35) at MSRP is $5,205 .. still significant but closer to $5K rather than $6K.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 02:13:27 pm »
BTW: From what I see on VW.ca Build & Price, the price difference between a fully loaded GTI and a fully loaded GLI (not the GLI 35) at MSRP is $5,205 .. still significant but closer to $5K rather than $6K.
i took fully loaded trims in both models...the prices i posted are direct from the VW website and include freight and fees...$5955 is pretty much as close to $6k as you'll get.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 02:19:04 pm »
a fully equipped GLI is $35,654...a fully equipped GTI is $41,609...that's a difference of $5,955...i love the GTI as much as the next person, but i really don't think the GTI and GLI are that far apart, and $6k is a lot of money.

What do you get for that extra cash? Apart from better seats, digital nav on the dash, swivel headlamps.
are you saying the GTI, for the extra $6k, gives you better seats, nav and swivel headlamps over the GLI?

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 03:59:36 pm »

What do you get for that extra cash? Apart from better seats, digital nav on the dash, swivel headlamps.
are you saying the GTI, for the extra $6k, gives you better seats, nav and swivel headlamps over the GLI?

I am saying that it does have those things over the GLI, but I am also asking what else the GTI has because that shouldn't cost an additional $6K.

I note the video is US based, and the US options for the GLI are different than here (we get it much better). For example my 'base' GLI is the same as the 35th anniversary except for styling (35th package items are detailed on the VW site). In other words I get everything including NAV. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 11:08:26 pm »

I am saying that it does have those things over the GLI, but I am also asking what else the GTI has because that shouldn't cost an additional $6K.
the VW site doesn't really allow you to compare models (at least that i can see), but the only thing the GLI doesn't have that you mentioned is the swivel headlamps...the GLI has the NAV and also has good seats...there is a bit of difference in the seats, but not much...the GTI has 8 way power seats vs 6 way power seats in the GLI...the GTI has 4 way power lumbar on the driver vs 2 way power lumber for the driver in the GLI...the GTI has manual lumber for the passenger whereas the GLI doesn't have that...however, the GLI also has memory for the driver seat and both front seats are cooled too...the rear seats in the GLI are also heated.

i'm really not sure where the $6k is hiding...it's tough to beat the GLI.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 11:48:24 pm »
i took fully loaded trims in both models...the prices i posted are direct from the VW website and include freight and fees...$5955 is pretty much as close to $6k as you'll get.

GTI Autobahn 7-speed DSG + Driver Assistance Package Plus: $39,295
GLI 7-speed DSG + Driver Assistance Package: $34,090

Delta: $5,205

Freight, PDI, fees are the same for both. There is a current cash offer of $1,500 for the GLI, but for the sake of price comparison I would use the MSRP.

$5K or $6K the price gap is significant. To me the GLI's interior feels cheaper. I don't know how to put a price on that, but it would amount for something for me.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 08:21:07 am »
Those shopping for a hatchback don't want a sedan. But those purchasing a top line GTI might reasonably ask why they are paying a $6k premium over a very comparable GLI, whose performance parameters are close to a wash.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 08:52:20 am »
GTI Autobahn 7-speed DSG + Driver Assistance Package Plus: $39,295
GLI 7-speed DSG + Driver Assistance Package: $34,090

Delta: $5,205

Freight, PDI, fees are the same for both. There is a current cash offer of $1,500 for the GLI, but for the sake of price comparison I would use the MSRP.

$5K or $6K the price gap is significant. To me the GLI's interior feels cheaper. I don't know how to put a price on that, but it would amount for something for me.
sorry, i went to the final screen (total price including freight and fees) and didn't realize the GLI had $1500 off.

but you have the wrong trim above...you picked the GLI and not the GLI 35th anniversary...the GLI 35 with driver assistance package is $34,840 (excluding freight and fees)...so yes, the difference is $5205...if you live in Ontario, add your tax on that, and you're at $5881.65, so pretty much $6k anyways...plus, as you mentioned, if you are buying right now, you get an extra $1500 off (if you pay cash, which few people do anyway).

my point is, there's still a pretty big difference in price despite being quite similar.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 08:53:45 am »
Those shopping for a hatchback don't want a sedan. But those purchasing a top line GTI might reasonably ask why they are paying a $6k premium over a very comparable GLI, whose performance parameters are close to a wash.
^^ this.

no one is questioning the qualities of the GTI, it's a great car (always has been)...but certainly people have to wonder how the GLI is so close to being a GTI with a trunk at a pretty substantial savings.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2019, 09:54:52 am »
^^ this.

no one is questioning the qualities of the GTI, it's a great car (always has been)...but certainly people have to wonder how the GLI is so close to being a GTI with a trunk at a pretty substantial savings.

Perfect question for a VW product person, who is responsible for vehicle pricing and positioning.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 11:57:46 am »
^^ this.

Which is why I was asking. What are we missing apart from the GTI being way overpriced?
i don't know...i certainly wouldn't fault anyone for buying a GTI, it's a great car...likewise, if someone picked the GLI, i wouldn't criticize them for NOT buying the GTI...they are both excellent cars...i think most of us are simply trying to figure out why there is such a wide gap in pricing.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2019, 11:58:12 am »
^^ this.

Perfect question for a VW product person, who is responsible for vehicle pricing and positioning.
Hey Patrick!!...throw us a bone here.  :)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 05:02:22 pm »
Which is why I was asking. What are we missing apart from the GTI being way overpriced?

Could this just be more of a pricing battle. The GTI already has it price set and when they created the GLI they knew they couldn't go any higher than they did with it. In the end it created a large gap between the two models and unless they start discounting the GTI price, nothing can be done.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2019, 05:14:56 pm »

Could this just be more of a pricing battle. The GTI already has it price set and when they created the GLI they knew they couldn't go any higher than they did with it. In the end it created a large gap between the two models and unless they start discounting the GTI price, nothing can be done.

Agree, its less to do with content and value than this new GLI entering the market (a) in a time when cars, and in particular in Canada, sedans (I mean hatchbacks here have more of a 'following'), are not selling well, and (b) Before this version, the GLI was always much lesser in many ways, including engine and transmission, than the GTI, so its past "reputation" isn't doing the GLI any favours.

By the way, not mentioned here recently, the GLI has a Beats sound system while the GTI has a Fender system, said to be better. I have no issues with the Beats in my car, but I'm not an audiophile.   

Offline Téd123

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-91
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 05:26:29 pm »
The simple answer is German innovation.  The GTI is the 'sport coupe' version of the GLI.  That alone commands a premium. 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 05:33:09 pm »
^^^  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl2: