Author Topic: New Goodyear Winter Tires: Goodyear WinterCommand  (Read 19338 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: New Goodyear Winter Tires: Goodyear WinterCommand
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 11:43:49 am »
We do about 15k per winter, easy.

And I'm not one to erase them down to nothing.

On the Golf I expect to get 3 seasons out of my winter tires, they are reasonably cheap to replace so it's not a big deal.

Yes the tires are inflated properly.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 11:47:55 am »
Great, thank you for letting me know. I'll keep Bridgestone in mind. I'm looking for winter tires for my Subaru as well but I don't know if I want to spend that much on something that is 13 model years old. I'll continue with the research. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 11:55:28 am »
I'm a total Blizzak slappie. Had such great luck with the various models and Bridgestone addresses complaints and improves them constantly. Those complaints are usually minor gripes, but they take them to heart. The only real "let down" Blizzak to me was the WS-60 as they had no real improvements over the 50s and wore out faster. The 70s were great, the 80s turned the Corolla into a winter beast, and I'm keen to see how the 90s are.

And like tortoise, I'm really impressed with the DMV2s.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2019, 12:08:32 pm »
I'm trying out a set of Pirelli Ice Zero FR's this year based on recommendations here. Got from Costco, manufacture date was end of April

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2019, 12:19:16 pm »
I'm trying out a set of Pirelli Ice Zero FR's this year based on recommendations here. Got from Costco, manufacture date was end of April
those are also highly rated winter tires...factor in the smoking deal Costco had on them, and it was a no-brainer.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2019, 12:30:29 pm »

.... I don't know if I want to spend that much on something that is 13 model years old.

What tires are you referring to?

As for Goodyear, I've always thought they were a mid tier tire at a top tier price.

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2019, 01:00:03 pm »
Sailun Ice Blazer WSL2 or GT Radial IcePro3 or GT Radial WinterPro2 are the tires I've been considering to purchase for the 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon. There isn't tons of information about them. They have both been in Canada for several years now and there are plenty of dealers near me that sell these brands, some I'm not concerned about being able to get a replacement tire. Something in the Tier 3 category of tires. My kids are not riding in this car. Just myself. Price is a major factor because this car is old and the daily commute is only 10 km's per day for 5 days per week and my wife is on maternity leave for 18 months until late 2020 so money is tight.

Any opinions with these tires or these two brands?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 01:02:55 pm by overtakeyouintheleftlane »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2019, 01:37:45 pm »
Damn second snow storm of the season already. Good 6" sticking to the road and driveway. Time to test the new winters I guess..

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2019, 01:45:14 pm »
i've seen a few old cars with Sailun or GT Radials on them.

as you already know, they are tier3 tire suppliers. 

if you are only going to use for year or two, sure why not.

personally i would go kijiji and get used tier 1 tires.

but i do recognize that some of these tier 3 tire makers may move up a tier or two in the future (like Kumho did)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 01:56:35 pm by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2019, 02:00:18 pm »
i've seen a few old cars with Sailun or GT Radials on them.

as you already know, they are tier3 tire suppliers. 

if you are only going to use for year or two, sure why not.

personally i would go kijiji and get used tier 1 tires.

but i do recognize that some of these tier 3 tire makers may move up a tier or two in the future (like Kumho did)

I don't know, tires are easily one of the biggest safety features on your vehicle, I don't know if I would ever try to save a few hundred bucks on them with some cut rate brands.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2019, 03:03:00 pm »
I'd shop used tires on Kijiji for that car then... probably be able to pick up a set for $400 or less that will be good for 2 - 3 seasons. I picked up used X-ice 3's for the GF's BMW 3 years ago for $230 in a 225/45/17 size, this will be her 3rd winter with them & most likely last, but you can't beat that price for 3 seasons of use. She probably puts around 8,000km on them per winter.
You live everyday. You only die once....

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2019, 07:58:58 am »
So I had the tires installed on October 26. It was 1 degree the morning it was installed and we used the car yesterday as well. Tires were quiet and the grip seemed normal. No snow at this time. Nothing bad to say. I will update when the snow arrives.

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2019, 08:41:08 am »
We had our first snowfall in Toronto yesterday. I drove them today this morning to work. Tires worked well in snow/slush and ice. I was able to stop quickly and maintain control. Able to get the car going from a stop without a problem. Tires were quiet.

No complaints about these tires. I'm happy with the performance.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2019, 09:16:11 am »
I've been told they are replacing the Goodyear Ultra Grip tires. I didn't want to buy the most expensive tires (wife is on maternity leave) and didn't want to buy the cheapest because the vehicle is pretty new compared to the other car.

I had Goodyear Ultra Grip winters, a few cars ago. Pretty good in all respects, rated at Tire Rack as somewhere between X-Ice 2 and X-Ice 3 at the time. If this is a replacement for that, its probably better.

Have the Ultra's on the Fusion at the moment.  6 seasons old (this might even be their 7th winter...hmmm...) - and they have at least half tread on them (eyeballed).  But they suck.  I had BFG's on before (KSi I think ???), and I drove those things into the ground and as far as I can recall, and they never felt as awful as these GYs do at the moment (as noted elsewhere, they tend to go all squirrely if there's ice on one side and not on the other, like the car is being pulled in 3 different directions).  I'm seriously considering buying new tires...and after seeing the 3-4 seasons post...maybe that's really all they're good for???  I've got more years on the cheap Chinese crap on the Sonic and they have a LOT of tread left and still stick better than the GYs do.

One thing I don't like about the Ultras is the skinny width.  They're the same size as the ones they replaced, but they're probably a good inch narrower.  How the hell does that work?  I figured, well, they should work better, but they look stupid skinny on my car.  Pretty sure I won't be buying GYs again any time soon.

Guess it's time to start shopping. 

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2019, 09:59:10 am »
Rubber degrades with time. Old rubber will not grip as well. 6 seasons with a tire is quite a long time. I find that all-seasons tend to last about 5 seasons or 6. Winter tires last about 5 years. This is assuming you have maintained proper tire pressure and rotation.

I would replace them and get a new set. I have no complaints with the WinterCommand tires. I also have Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT on the Subaru for a few years now. No complaints about those tires either.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2019, 09:02:32 pm »
Sailun Ice Blazer WSL2 or GT Radial IcePro3 or GT Radial WinterPro2 are the tires I've been considering to purchase for the 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon. There isn't tons of information about them. They have both been in Canada for several years now and there are plenty of dealers near me that sell these brands, some I'm not concerned about being able to get a replacement tire. Something in the Tier 3 category of tires. My kids are not riding in this car. Just myself. Price is a major factor because this car is old and the daily commute is only 10 km's per day for 5 days per week and my wife is on maternity leave for 18 months until late 2020 so money is tight.

Any opinions with these tires or these two brands?

Try Cooper Discoverer True North. They're priced pretty low but are top rated by Consumer Reports.

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2019, 08:12:03 am »
Thanks for the suggestion 1FGC, I will keep that brand in mind as well when I go to replace the winter tires on the Subaru.

At this time, I'm going to squeeze one more season out of the winter tires on the Subaru.

Offline Marko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2019, 12:21:01 pm »
Don't get hung up on brand. I wouldn't buy a tire from some unheard-of brand but any modern winter tire from any well known brand will be a huge improvement over any all season tire.

I got some Nexen Winguards which were quite cheap but they worked great both in the city slush and the highway during the snow storm we had a few days ago. On a 460hp rwd manual car. I was stopped on a hill and could start moving while I saw fwd cars spinning their tires (they must of had all-seasons).

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2019, 01:25:34 pm »
Don't get hung up on brand. I wouldn't buy a tire from some unheard-of brand but any modern winter tire from any well known brand will be a huge improvement over any all season tire.
^^ this is true...any tier 1 or tier 2 brand of winter tire is going to be a substantial improvement over all season tires in the snowy seasons.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Mr Pickypants