Author Topic: 2019 Golf R 6MT - Confirming Suspicions  (Read 21891 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12407
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: 2019 Golf R 6MT - Confirming Suspicions
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2020, 09:45:22 pm »
Love the new GTI, except for the whole no buttons in the interior thing. Plaid seats rock.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2020, 10:35:08 pm »
- The car continues to be endlessly versatile, from my 150 km daily commute (when I was doing it!), to light-speed back-road blasts, to carrying my 8-month pregnant wife comfortably to-and-fro

Can't remember if this was said before but if not, congrats! Also, great update on the R. Now bring us that damn R wagon.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2020, 12:00:26 am »
Thanks for the update. 7 months and almost time for a new one?  :rofl: Think I'll do an update of my own shortly...  ;D

Love the pics, and also the dark grey: really suits the car IMO. Having said that, I just saw an R today in one of those shades of nuclear lime green that were a $$$ option. Not sure I could live with it for a decade, but it did look really sharp. Got me thinking that maybe splurging on one of those fancy colours might actually be worth it.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2020, 07:49:17 am »
St. George’s Anglican Church in Jackson's Point - erected in 1877.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2020, 07:50:19 am »
Thanks for the update. 7 months and almost time for a new one?  :rofl: Think I'll do an update of my own shortly...  ;D

He's had two different ones in seven months.

Looks like I could be in the minority here but I can't stand this car in grey. Red or blue (or one of the Spektrum colours) for me please.

Also Patrick, please ensure that the next R at least comes with the option for a sunroof so I can actually buy/lease one.  ;D

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2020, 09:20:30 am »
Great update!

If the next GTi comes with everything my GLi has, at a similiar price, (including adjustable suspension et all) then its likely to be the replacement for my wife's Elantra GT.

Will do our best on that front, but from a pricing perspective it's very hard indeed to match the GLI. It will be all the more so with the next-gen GTI, since production is being repatriated to Wolfsburg. Have to ensure incremental logistics and duty costs can be covered.

That said, of everything I've seen regarding the new GTI, I expect it to be exceptional.

St. George’s Anglican Church in Jackson's Point - erected in 1877.
Railton

Incredible piece of history and beautiful architecture.

Also Patrick, please ensure that the next R at least comes with the option for a sunroof so I can actually buy/lease one.  ;D

I'm sure if someone involved in such decisions was listening, they'd agree this is a good point.  ::)

In terms of my feedback, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention some of the car's annoyances - which have thankfully been quite minor.

- The Soundaktor (vibrates the windshield vs. pumping in audio via speakers like other OEMs) is irritating and boomy. It also occasionally causes resonance in the plastics; I shut it off
- Stock, the clutch pedal travel is way too long, esp. since it grabs at the top of the pedal. Within two weeks I installed a home-made clutch stop which dramatically improved the experience by reducing travel
- Older Golf Rs also had an assist spring in the clutch which caused uneven feel; I went looking for it to remove it and learned the factory did this themselves as of 2019MY
- The EA888 remains one of the smoothest and most refined 4-bangers on the market, but I sure wish it had some sound to go with the performance
- Beyond lacking a sunroof, the platform is showing its age in other lacking features - heated steering wheel being the one I notice most
- There's no getting around the fact that the car is quite small. This is a pro in certain regards, but there isn't a ton of rear seat legroom and the hatch cargo area is smaller than some rivals
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2020, 09:27:20 am »

Looks like I could be in the minority here but I can't stand this car in grey. Red or blue (or one of the Spektrum colours) for me please.

I don't know if you're in the minority or not, but I think it looks sharp and classy in grey and boring as hell in white.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2020, 09:29:36 am »

- The EA888 remains one of the smoothest and most refined 4-bangers on the market, but I sure wish it had some sound to go with the performance

It's hard to get a turbo engine to sound good - you're relying mostly on exhaust noise, and there is almost zero induction noise whatsoever. 

It's partly why I love good NA motors (Honda, I'm looking at you) so much, they can sound phenomenal. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2020, 09:32:53 am »

I don't know if you're in the minority or not, but I think it looks sharp and classy in grey and boring as hell in white.

I think it's boring in both. 🤷‍♂️

But I hate grey cars. Owning two grey cars at once was a low point in my automotive past. 😂

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2020, 09:38:35 am »

It's hard to get a turbo engine to sound good - you're relying mostly on exhaust noise, and there is almost zero induction noise whatsoever. 

It's partly why I love good NA motors (Honda, I'm looking at you) so much, they can sound phenomenal.

Completely agree, I'm talking about having a bit of exhaust noise. Likely biased in this area coming from Hyundai, where they have really mastered this subject as of late (see: Elantra Sport, Veloster N).

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2020, 09:43:20 am »

Completely agree, I'm talking about having a bit of exhaust noise. Likely biased in this area coming from Hyundai, where they have really mastered this subject as of late (see: Elantra Sport, Veloster N).

I was actually gonna bring up the Veloster N as an example - but again, that's all exhaust.  Same goes for the Focus RS.  After having driven many great NA engines, I can say that Induction Noise under hard acceleration sounds way better, because you can usually hear it inside the cab of the car.  Induction noise is for the people inside the car, exhaust noise is for those outside the car. 

I guess VW is just trying to be more grown-up and civilized? 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:45:42 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2020, 10:35:30 am »

I was actually gonna bring up the Veloster N as an example - but again, that's all exhaust.  Same goes for the Focus RS.  After having driven many great NA engines, I can say that Induction Noise under hard acceleration sounds way better, because you can usually hear it inside the cab of the car.  Induction noise is for the people inside the car, exhaust noise is for those outside the car. 

I guess VW is just trying to be more grown-up and civilized?

I'm pretty damned sure you can hear the exhaust note on a Veloster N inside the car.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2020, 10:52:52 am »
Back in 2017 I had my pick of the GTI or the R for a weekly test. Having driven neither, but being very familiar with the MkVII Golf due to owning one at the time, I decided to go with the classic GTI. No regrets but next time I'll look at the R  :stick:

The tester had the DSG, sunroof and plaid seats. I'd rock a black one in same config (if you read the review, you'll see what I did there).

My A3 is basically an uptown Golf, but I miss my old TDI's classy interior - loved the silver bits over the black.

https://www.autotrader.ca/expert/20170531/test-drive-2017-volkswagen-golf-gti-autobahn/

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=93960.0

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2020, 12:39:41 pm »

Apart from the C63, where the exhaust noise was for those inside the car and also within 2km.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2020, 12:41:35 pm »

Apart from the C63, where the exhaust noise was for those inside the car and also within 2km.

LOL, yeah.  The C63 is one of the best sounding cars of all time, though.  A few have driven by me, and either the car is loud while being gently driven, or the driver was no wimp!  I'm thinking a combination of both. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2020, 12:43:11 pm »

LOL, yeah.  The C63 is one of the best sounding cars of all time, though.  A few have driven by me, and either the car is loud while being gently driven, or the driver was no wimp!  I'm thinking a combination of both.

Man did I love driving that thing to work, but at least the GTi won't get me banned from driving.  :rofl2:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2020, 02:51:19 pm »

I would like to see a Civic Type R motor in a current STI chassis, with the Focus torque vectoring, in the body of a Megane RS.

With the Golf's interior?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2020, 02:52:16 pm »
I would like to see a Civic Type R motor in a current STI chassis, with the Focus torque vectoring, in the body of a Megane RS.

Get the tools!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2020, 02:57:14 pm »

With the Golf's interior?
No...50th Anniversary 911 interior!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2020, 06:41:48 pm »
I have driven a lot of performance oriented AWD cars and the Haldex in the Golf R is truly marginal.  It will understeer way, way to much.  You can also fool it easily and get it to FWD a bit too much in the snow.  For comparison, an STI has a vastly better AWD system for inclement whether with significantly better traction.  And you won't get a "AWD not Available" flashing code.

It does have a great motor, however.  A Focus RS out pulls it at any RPM but isn't as smooth.  The STI motor is a disaster.  No low end torque, huge lag and it dies at redline.