Author Topic: 2019 Golf R 6MT - Confirming Suspicions  (Read 21892 times)

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
Re: 2019 Golf R 6MT - Confirming Suspicions
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2019, 08:40:47 am »
That is one sweet ride and the wagon too.
The new job sounds like an awesome opportunity. Congrats.
Are you going to move closer or just keep commuting?

For now, just commute. My wife likes Durham region, though, so I'd consider moving in a year or two. The drive is long but kind of nice - all rolling country roads, basically no traffic.

Product Planning...... hm.... so you are the guy that may have a say in deciding models, packaging, trims, features etc.... for Canadian market? If so, you may get a lot of love around here.....  8) ;D ;)

Don't worry, I'm well-versed in the necessary technique of ignoring the "base instinct" of enthusiasts (myself included!).

Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2019, 09:16:37 am »

Product Planning...... hm.... so you are the guy that may have a say in deciding models, packaging, trims, features etc.... for Canadian market? If so, you may get a lot of love around here.....  8) ;D ;)

Don't worry, I'm well-versed in the necessary technique of ignoring the "base instinct" of enthusiasts (myself included!).

I know you are.... Maybe we should have a "Tell Patrick what you want from VW..." thread. You can bill that as a VOC exercise; VW may even like it and it's free.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2019, 09:26:08 am »

I know you are.... Maybe we should have a "Tell Patrick what you want from VW..." thread. You can bill that as a VOC exercise; VW may even like it and it's free.

Would that start with unquestionable reliability?  Everything else it seems they do right according to you (present & former) VW owners...except that.

And nice car Patrick, my little bro owns a regular old Golf and he loves it.  Says it's a rocket - they had an old Nissan Altima before, an old one...so I guess he's coming from a terrible car...though I thought he'd avoid VW after his kids experience with a Beetle...guess they must drive real nice.  I'd love to drive one someday.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2019, 09:36:26 am »
That is one sweet ride and the wagon too.
The new job sounds like an awesome opportunity. Congrats.
Are you going to move closer or just keep commuting?

For now, just commute. My wife likes Durham region, though, so I'd consider moving in a year or two. The drive is long but kind of nice - all rolling country roads, basically no traffic.

That’s my commute too but only 50 km each way. I’ll take this kind of commute versus shorter city traffic commute as it gives me time to listen to my favourite tunes and reflect on how beautiful the scenery is.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2019, 09:53:14 am »
I did look at a Golf R  in the spring.    Problem was that my wife's walker would not fit in that back without tipping 1/2 of the back seat forward.  Only needed another inch!
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2019, 11:06:54 am »

Would that start with unquestionable reliability?  Everything else it seems they do right according to you (present & former) VW owners...except that.

As a present owner I cannot complain about reliability so far as my car was trouble free for the 3+ years I owned it.

What I can complain about though - and Patrick might be able to help with in the future from his position - is the fact that my GTI does not have retained power on any power outlet. This is something that bothers me every day (or often enough). There are times when I need to charge my phone while on the road and I cannot while the car is not running (for example if I'm on the tennis court for 2 hrs and the car is sitting and my phone needs charging). Sure, there is a work around that but would be nice to have it available in the car (like I do/did in other cars) without carrying around another device.

Another example would be (seriously) to have the option of quality cloth seats in higher trims (to be able to get more features I want without leather seats which I don't want) or better - more flexible packaging.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 11:11:44 am by carcrazy »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2019, 12:25:14 pm »
Carcrazy, there's an easy fix for that. You just have to move a fuse a half spot over and the lighter plug is no longer tied to the ignition. Search the VW forums for it.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2019, 12:43:23 pm »
My GTI was very reliable for the 80k/three years I had it. Only issue was a failed oil temp sensor.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2019, 01:04:20 pm »
Carcrazy, there's an easy fix for that. You just have to move a fuse a half spot over and the lighter plug is no longer tied to the ignition. Search the VW forums for it.

Thanks for the info. I will look it up. 

UPDATE: Own you one buddy!    :cheers:

Never thought it could be a simple fix like this and never thought to research it and never came across this info before. But your hint prompted me to look it up, quickly found the info and done it. Few min later, I have retained power on all three 12V outlets in the car..... THANK YOU!   :banana:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:05:23 pm by carcrazy »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2019, 01:07:26 pm »
My GTI was very reliable for the 80k/three years I had it. Only issue was a failed oil temp sensor.
Didn't Cadure have issues with his R? Or was that someone else?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2019, 01:17:00 pm »
Didn't Cadure have issues with his R? Or was that someone else?
i think there was a couple of Rs with issues...i think the GTIs were pretty good though (same with regular Golfs).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2019, 07:50:26 pm »
Sweet ride Patrick.  I guess I've been out of the loop, I had no idea you left Genesis for VW.  Looks like you're settling in nicely.   :thumbup:
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline wolfee297

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2019, 10:11:18 pm »
Excellent choice! Here's my 2017 Golf R 6MT. I bought it in January 2017 and still love driving it to this day. Whether it's taking it on a track or just commuting in, it really is the perfect balance of comfort and performance. I did downgrade to 18" tires- those 19" are way too stiff for Calgary roads. I got to drive my friends new Mercedes A250 Hatchback and while it has better technology and infotainment, it's still not as comfortable or fun to drive as the Golf R.

I don't know why the picture is upside down. It's right side up on my desktop.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:15:57 pm by wolfee297 »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2019, 11:02:45 pm »

Few min later, I have retained power on all three 12V outlets in the car..... THANK YOU!   :banana:

Sweet!  Glad it worked out.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2019, 11:55:54 am »
Funny, your Mustang is probably priced similar to the R and you'll probably never have to add oil every 2500 km...you'll get 150,000 km out of it and be bored because it doesn't get to go to the dealer every few weeks so you can make new friends.  Pretty soon you won't have any...except for other 50 yr olds who want a ride in your car.  If I'm ever in the neighbourhood, I'll be sure to stop by!  ;D  Friend.  ;)

Offline wolfee297

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2019, 12:19:47 pm »
I don’t wanna get into a whole argument here but there are some people who have never had any issues with their Golf R the whole time they’ve had it. Shocking I know. Well, my TPMS once told me the tire was low in pressure but it wasn’t. As for the AWD, it’s no Quattro but it gets the job done in the snow. Anyways I didn’t know people still used the in car navigation now that Apple Carplay and Android Auto are so prevalent. As for the paint, my detailer friend who’s been detailing cars for 20 years says the paint on the Golf R is very similar to Porsches he’s worked on. Maybe he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. As you can see in this picture of my almost 3 year old car, the paint and exhaust look so bad. Sure you’ve had a bad experience with a car but if the car was as bad as you say, people like me wouldn’t rush to defend it. Yeah, it’s not perfect. The exhaust should’ve been louder from the factory, the styling could be more aggressive and the manual transmission in the car sucks. You’ll have to do like 5 mods to it before it starts feeling good to drive. But there is no perfect car except for the E63S.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2019, 09:23:30 am »
For the price I still think the GTI and R are the best all around cars you can buy. Just a great balance of performance, handling, fun to drive, luxury, and practicality.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2019, 09:29:07 am »
And GLI!

The red-headed stepchild of the GTI. So sad.

:D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2019, 09:34:02 am »
True, the GLI is a great value (unless you're leasing).

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2019, 09:56:17 am »
And GLI!

The red-headed stepchild of the GTI. So sad.

:D

Absolutely correct  :love: