Author Topic: Tesla Model 3 SR+ RWD reviews etc  (Read 43108 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Tesla Model 3 SR+ RWD reviews etc
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2020, 12:02:36 pm »
Its nice to see a mostly positive review from a non Tesla owner :-)

How do you get AM radio in the car? Serious question...

You get a Mr fusion, go back to 1973, and buy one of those 8 track/am radio/bar entertainment stands  ;D

That looks like my moms  :rofl2:

I call BS, that's what you use daily...  :stick:  :rofl:  :run:
Mine died so I use a Google Home now   ;D
I did take a 1955 Viking Stereo, would really say stereo  to my son

Offline Barton

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +14/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Civic, Accord, Camry, Miata, and more
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2020, 05:32:58 pm »
OP: Any updates as you approach the one year mark?

Any major dislikes?  Any issues with the car?

Lastly: Tesla says to charge it up to 90% each day.  Why do you charge it to 80% only? 

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +314/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2020, 03:30:02 pm »

Lastly: Tesla says to charge it up to 90% each day.  Why do you charge it to 80% only?

OP will respond for his Model 3, but FYI on general Tesla battery longevity.

Our 2013 Tesla Model S was charged to 90% daily for most of it's life, still has 97% original battery capacity (as reported on dash and on ODBII connector I've had on the car for 3 years).

We also dropped our charge rate to 80% recently because we are doing so little driving (COVID work from home).

If you don't need the range, there is some potential (unproven yet) long term benefit from charging at 80% based on (not specific to Tesla) research into Lithium Ion battery.

I've seen many reports where hundreds of Tesla cars are tracked in Europe, and the difference in battery longevity for 80% daily or 90% daily hasn't been statistically significant.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2020, 07:47:32 pm »

OP will respond for his Model 3, but FYI on general Tesla battery longevity.

Our 2013 Tesla Model S was charged to 90% daily for most of it's life, still has 97% original battery capacity (as reported on dash and on ODBII connector I've had on the car for 3 years).

We also dropped our charge rate to 80% recently because we are doing so little driving (COVID work from home).

If you don't need the range, there is some potential (unproven yet) long term benefit from charging at 80% based on (not specific to Tesla) research into Lithium Ion battery.

I've seen many reports where hundreds of Tesla cars are tracked in Europe, and the difference in battery longevity for 80% daily or 90% daily hasn't been statistically significant.
I think a couple of cars I looked at (Leaf, Soul EV) both had a charge to 80 percent function in them.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2020, 02:03:08 pm »
OP: Any updates as you approach the one year mark?

Any major dislikes?  Any issues with the car?

Sorry just saw your message. I will answer your question and post a brief update on the model 3 experience so far.  The car is 13 months and almost 30,000kms old

Quality of seats and Interior (materials): Opinion not changed on that. The quality of interior material is high. It is not luxurious though. A week ago my buddy bought a 2021 Sonata sport which is almost 40K. It had the aluminum switch gear, screen etc. While it was good the overall quality of the Tesla was higher. Should be as it costs 15K more. Its definitely better than your Camry/Accord/Sonata/fusion/Mustang quality but not as luxurious as your BMW/Lexus/Audi interiors

Exterior paint: The paint quality of the Sonata was much better. While the paint is fine right now (I get the petro canada 90 day car wash all winter) i could see the difference in the paint quality and there could possibly be issues in the future.

Road Noise: Still a complain, especially given that the sound system is bad. I am disliking the sound more and more everyday. Telsa has 6 speakers installed in the car that they did not wire. I am a chicken and am not opening the trims and wiring them. I have heard that the sound system becomes awesome once these are wired up. Maybe i will get the guts one day or will find someone who has done it and can bribe them with a few beers to help me out.

Handling and performance: I am appreciating this more and more. I think it is better than the BMW. The Sonata was so floaty in sport mode (maybe it dosent tighten the suspension and just changes the xmission shifts)

Autopilot and other features: Getting better and better everyday through software updates. Its better than when i first got the car. Among other things the camera now recognizes the speed limit through the posted signs (instead of what's programmed in the NAV) and adjusts the speed automatically. Lots of  improvements e.g. Autolock when i walk away, warn through app if door is left open for X number of minutes, close windows if left open for X minutes etc. etc. (too many to list here).

Full Self Driving: Didn't pay for it. Wish I had the money.

Efficiency: will discuss later below in cost to town.

Battery degradation: Has probably happened. Now i don't charge the car to more than 50% and in the summer the efficiency is usually more than 100% unless you drive 130kmph plus. I will know for sure and post when i start commuting to work. 2021)

I think i have answered your questions on likes and dislikes.
Charging percentages: you dont have to charge to 90% daily. You charge to how much you need for your commute plus a little bit of buffer. I charge to 50% now and can probably get away with 40%. Yes Telsa says anywhere from 90%-10% is ok. They don't have a problem on low end, you can even go to 5. They only recommend not going lower as they don't want to get you stranded. Personally when i commuted (pre COVID), I charged to 70 in spring/summer/fall and 80 in winter. I wan to get home with around 30% remaining. my commute was 150km roundtrip plus groceries, swimming lessons etc. i always charge to 100% when i go on roadtrips and its ok to do it occasionally.
General advice on Telsa forum is to let it run down more rather than charge it higher. so if you had a choice between 80-30 and 90-40 they prefer you go 80-30. I just want to keep a 30% buffer. Anything 80 or less is good. They warranty on the batteries is good so i would not worry much about the batteries itself.

Running costs: So in 13 months, i have driven 29,900kms and consumed 4360kwh. I charge at off peak rates, however even considering mid peak rates (0.144kwh) the total cost of fuel is $627.
If I were to compare it to the BMW my fuel cost would be $3200. So that's a saving of around $2500 in a year.  Plus i saved on 2 oil changes. so probably around 3K (maybe a little less)

Other expenses: Winter tires+Rims, wireless charging pads, interior LED light upgrades. These are required but not maintenance costs

Warranty or other issues: Zero so far.  Tesla recommends checking brake fluids, changing wipers and cabin filter every 2 years, rotating tires (which i do when i swap winter/summer tires) and AC service every 6 years. There is nothing else in scheduled maintenance list.
Thats why i disagree with the CR article because as time goes on i will be spending less on routine maintenance, brakes, belts, other fluids, Carbon buildup in non Toyota/Lexus engines and TCO will improve even more.

If there was no covid my cost savings (gas/hydro) would have been even more, plus its probably more as i considered mid peak rates.
Assuming i keep the car for 7 years, at 3K a year, i am looking at 21K savings. The car cost me 57K after taxes and incentives. 57k-21k= 36K incl taxes. Over 10 years its 27K after taxes.  It is hard to get something with the features and performance of the model 3 in that price range.(31K , 24K before taxes). specially the performance as equal performance cars will use more gas (283hp, 330lb/ft of torque at 0rpm). Similar speced BMW starts at 52K plus taxes (granted it has AWD), The IS300 is 44K+ taxes(again awd but similar specs). The cost of the car has gone down by 2K since i got it, so if you buy now, you get more range and save even more money.

To conclude: I am happy with my purchase and would happily trade up to a performance model 3 (instant torque is very addictive) if i had the money. Unless you make frequent road trips, i would highly recommend you at least consider an EV as an option.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:56:41 pm by CSH »

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2020, 03:59:23 pm »
Thanks for your update. EVs are addictive.  :P
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1197
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2020, 04:59:58 pm »
Very good update CSH. Thanks! 👍

Also I just happened to see this in another forum.

https://www.hautopart.com/product/model3-sr-premium-audio-upgrade/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 05:17:30 pm by Guy »

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2020, 05:23:30 pm »
Yes this is the upgrade i was referring to.
Background: To get the model 3 sr+ out to the market quickly, tesla took the premium model and kept the 12 speakers. They removed the sub and the sub amp as well as deleted the wiring to the 6 speakers. So right now 6 speakers are active and 6 are just sitting there.
To connect these 6 speakers to the amp, you need to remove a lot of trim pieces and run wires that i am chicken to do.
Hopefully someday a indy will offer this as a service and i can activate them.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2020, 12:01:10 pm »
To conclude: I am happy with my purchase and would happily trade up to a performance model 3 (instant torque is very addictive) if i had the money. Unless you make frequent road trips, i would highly recommend you at least consider an EV as an option.

Great review!

We charge daily to 75% now, because I found out that the Tesla battery management was running the coolant pump to circulate for a few hours after charging when I charged above that, presumably for longevity.   Since we didn't need the range, I just dropped the max to 75, and I sometimes supercharge for free at a nearby mall when I am waiting for multi-hour kids sports drop off pick up.

My Smart Electric also runs the coolant pump following a L2 (240V 7kW) charge, but never on a L1 (120V) charge.  I only noticed this since I got a L2 charger for the Smart (been 7 years on purely L1 until recently).

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2020, 07:48:44 am »
Model 3 base price down by 2K and range up by 46Km since i bought it (14 months). Am i upset No, should i have waited to buy.. maybe..
I guess for the next few years range and cost are going to trend like computer memory and cost (although at a fraction).

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2020, 08:12:52 am »
Model 3 base price down by 2K and range up by 46Km since i bought it (14 months). Am i upset No, should i have waited to buy.. maybe..
I guess for the next few years range and cost are going to trend like computer memory and cost (although at a fraction).
If you wait to buy , you will never buy anything because the latest and best is just around the corner  ;D

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2020, 09:59:08 am »

Were any other changes made? I see the trim is black now.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2020, 11:44:47 am »
Yes, chrome delete added as an option (again, i want to do it but too scared to do it in case i damage something)
Centre console redesigned
They added power trunk as standard.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2020, 09:08:52 pm »
Tesla Model 3 SR+ is now $48K CAD (inc rebate before tax).
Has similar range as my 2013 Tesla S85, at half the price new.
7.5 years later, progress is pretty good with range and price.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2020, 10:51:29 pm »

Tesla Model 3 SR+ is now $48K CAD (inc rebate before tax).
Has similar range as my 2013 Tesla S85, at half the price new.
7.5 years later, progress is pretty good with range and price.

S85 is far better looking, interior is nicer, etc

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2020, 10:36:45 am »
First service on the Model 3 happened.
So, last week while driving wife moved the sun visor towards the window and the clip that holds it broke. I thought it would be wear and tear (not covered under warranty) so i could to superglue it. I still opened the Tesla app, scheduled an appointment and uploaded some pics anyway to see how much it would cost to replace it properly.
The next day i got a text saying the estimate was ready. The estimate came to 0$. I thought they decided to do a goodwill fix. The service appt was scheduled for yesterday.
The mobile tech came to our house yesterday and replaced the clip in 5 minutes.  He told me that on some cars, the clips were overtightened in the factory and he has replaced a few. So it was not a goodwill repair after all.
But the overall service experience was amazing (no need to call service, stay on hold, take the car in etc.)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 10:38:56 am by CSH »

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2021, 11:55:43 am »
TSLA @ 770 today

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2021, 05:26:44 pm »
TSLA is on the rise, while their costs are reducing to produce cars, 30% gross margin on Model 3 SR+ in China:
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-china-model-y-gross-margin-30-percent-report/

Just a few weeks ago, Model Y deliveries were announced, Y's are lining up in the parking lot of the factory, and the delivery dates went from Feb to Mar to Q2 in a few days as orders piled in.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2021, 04:48:49 pm »
TSLA @ 770 today

816 today, how high can it goes ?  :think:

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel