Author Topic: Tesla Model 3 SR+ RWD reviews etc  (Read 43139 times)

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
Re: Tesla Model 3 SR+ RWD reviews etc
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2019, 06:10:00 pm »
Lol i put premium in the 3.. the highest one too..
Dougie did not incerase rates or lower them.. he did politics on the bill so that the provincial subsidies are easily readable
My hydro bill has gone up by 40$

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2019, 06:30:04 pm »
Rates did go up, the Energy board increased them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2019, 07:48:08 pm »
What you are showing here is correct. However the old rates had the bill had subsidies in multiple line items.
Dougie changed the way the bills show. If there were no subsidies then these numbers is what one would pay in ontario.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:52:05 pm by CSH »

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2019, 07:49:10 pm »
Quick update:

Just hit the 13,000KM mark. 3 months and a bit.
No regular service or any issues with it so far.
Telsa recommends cleaning the pads and rotors every 20K or so. My plan is to get it done when i swap tires (Winter-Summer and Summer-Winter)

Will still stick to my initial impressions: Build quality is average, interior materials are very good and sound system is :censor:
They recently pushed out and update that increased the power by 5%. Useless to me, wish they had increased the range instead.

Supercharger experience:
Took a round trip from Mississauga to London (350km round trip). Had to stop in Cambridge on my way back. Supercharger was next to a Boston pizza. Went in for a washroom break, watched a couple of videos on youtube and i was done charging (enough to get home and take kids to swimming and back in about 15 minutes)

Yesterday was interesting, the day before I went to the garage to do something and unplugged the charger, got up in the morning and saw 25kms range remaining for my 150km daily commute to work plus kids class.
Stopped by supercharger on my may to work. Took 20-25 mins of charging to get enough juice to make it to work and back and kids classes. Since it was 6:30am nothing around was open, so i turned the heating on while i waited in the car and watched netflix. Was late for work.

Summer average for my 150km trip is about 130wh/km and in the winter (-8 outside) with heating set to 21 and seat heater on at 2/3 the energy consumption goes to 180wh/km.

Thanks for the review. In my minds, it totally make sense with such high kms commute to go full EV as you did, even if the entrance dollar to step in is quite high. Your energy consumption looks goods (from 13 to 18 kWh / 100 km) for the Tesla Model 3, it is a positively highway (aero & electrical) efficient car if drive properly ;) 

Over 20 Months (2 complete winter seasons) / 41,000 kms with my 2014 Spark EV, I averaged a tad under 15kWh / 100km (150wh/km).
Official NRCan ratings were city / Highway / Combined : 16.0 / 19.6 / 17.8 kWh / 100 km
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.nrcan.gc.ca/files/oee/pdf/transportation/tools/fuelratings/FCG2014print_e(1).pdf page F2
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 08:01:09 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2019, 08:55:31 pm »
What you are showing here is correct. However the old rates had the bill had subsidies in multiple line items.
Dougie changed the way the bills show. If there were no subsidies then these numbers is what one would pay in ontario.
Did you ever drink Dougie‘s Kool aid

“the increase in prices reflects the fact that the forecast cost of supply has gone up relative to what it was on May 1, 2019 due in part to refurbishment of nuclear facilities and new generation facilities coming online.“

https://www.oeb.ca/newsroom/2019/ontario-energy-board-sets-new-electricity-prices-households-and-small-businesses

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1197
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2019, 10:10:11 pm »
With your long commute the Model 3 makes perfect sense. Thanks for the update, much appreciated!  :)

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2019, 10:38:23 pm »
See this

https://www.ontario.ca/page/changes-your-electricity-bill

The rates did go up but by 1.8% not fron 6.5 to 10

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2019, 09:31:18 am »
See this

https://www.ontario.ca/page/changes-your-electricity-bill

The rates did go up but by 1.8% not fron 6.5 to 10
So the rates did go up
Wish I was on a meter that was not set to time of use

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2019, 08:39:58 am »
Yes, I appreciate the update!

My boss has a similar model in red. He says he spends $25 per month in warm months and $40 in cold months to charge his.  He probably doesn't drive all that much.  :P

What do you feel about having to use the touchscreen for almost everything? Does it work with gloves on?

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +314/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2019, 12:10:06 pm »

What do you feel about having to use the touchscreen for almost everything? Does it work with gloves on?

We pre-heat our Tesla via the app.   It's not "cold" at all, EVER when we enter the car, it's truly a two click option, one click to bring up the app on my phone, second click to turn on climate control.   So we don't need gloves to operate the car.   My wife is the primary owner and loves the usability and touch screen, and she's not a techie, she has an iPhone, which was her only previous tech purchase.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2019, 07:40:30 am »
There is an option in the car to set your depart time and it automatically heats the car to your set temp so at time of leaving the car is nice and warm. Also if you use this feature, the system charges your battery before you leave so that its warm and you reduce range loss associated with cold batteries.

I also have an app connecting the car to google home so on weekends i just say "ok google turn climate on in tesla" and the car is warm whwn we get in.
I have had 2 sets of gloves for years (touchscreen and real protective) that i use when i go outdoor.
I feel i may have to wear the touchscreen gloves as the weather gets colder (dont need it for now)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 07:50:33 am by CSH »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2019, 02:08:03 pm »
Neighbour up the street picked up a new white SR+,  that's two Model 3, two Model S, Leaf, two Smart ED's on my street of 20 houses.
Oh, and two PHEV, Clarity and Volt, but they don't count right?

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2020, 08:50:18 am »
So first real Canadian winter day. The car used a little more than 33% battery for 70km drive. So 133km of range used.
Have been lucky as it has been a very mild winter so far (temperature wise)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 08:52:18 am by CSH »

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2020, 01:15:11 pm »
As a Model 3 owner, i feel the Interface is actually amazing. The fit and finish and the design could use some improvement.

So improvements:
Change trunk and frunk hood deisgn so that snow does not fall in when it is opened.
Change the design of the area around the front license plate so that is does not attract all the dirt on the road
change the deisgn around the rear license plate so that when you take the car through a car wash it does not leave a small streak of dirt in the same area every-time.
Auto wiper could improve (it is similar to the BMW, not that great)

I will try to answer some of your UI questions. You need to spend enough time in the car to figure these out:

the braking was odd.  in fact letting off the gas resulted in regen kicking in but when i wanted more deceleration pressing on the brake felt very strange.  meaning there was little resistance in the pedal initially and then it felt like somebody had put a log under the brake.  maybe i'm missing something here but that was unnerving.  i'm used to the pressure progressively increasing as i press down with my foot.  not hardly anything then a stump.
Thats how typical hybrid brakes are.

pressing a button to open the door was ok, but honestly i don't see the point.  i also wonder if that entry card works all of the time....  that would be annoying if it didn't.
I rarely use the entry card. Entry and locking the car with the phone in your pocket works 99% of the time. The times when it has not worked, i had to reboot my phone.

changing lanes.  was i pressing down too hard on the turn indicator or does this thing not have a touch feature for changing lanes that turns itself off?
Works for me.

also, the gear lever is on the steering column?  it's easy enough to use but that means you have no control of your wipers except on the lower corner of that big screen?  WTF?  i mean, in my car i regularly do 1 touch wipes with one finger when it's lightly raining or snowing.  how do you do that?  and i didn't get to it but how do you spray your windshield with fluid?  don't tell me that's through the screen.  and how do you turn on your high beams?  how do you open the trunk or frunk? 
The stalk on the left. There is a button on its side. If you press it once, it does a 1 touch wipe. If you hold it it will release the washer fluid.
If you push the stalk on the left towards you or away from you it changes the beam. I usually have auto high beam set, which can also be turned on or off by pushing the stalk towards and away from you. The auto high beam works very well (better than the auto wipers)

how do you open the door to the charging port?
3 ways:
From the touchscreen when in park (its right there, there is no need to navigate anywhere.
Using the app
pushing down on the charge port (never done that). I usually use the screen before leaving the car. Like you would push the gas cap release switch in a gas car before leaving the car.

the volume of the stereo was on the lower right part of the screen.   ugh.  you need to swipe up to get into your stereo controls? 
You can do it from the left roller button on the steering wheel.

oh, and you want to redirect the vents?  :censor: me, you have to do several steps to get into that fancy window to control the air?
Yes, it is two touches.

i don't want to be looking down at a screen to do such basic functions like that. 
volume, spray for the windshield, side mirror adjustment
Volume does not need touching screen.
Spray does not need touching screen
1 swipe wiper does not need touching screen
Side mirror needs two touches to open the screen and then you use the buttons on the steering wheel to adjust.

Hope this helps.
and this is money i have saved since Oct 31st. Its approximate as gas prices keep changing (i have put in 1.4 for premium)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 01:32:22 pm by CSH »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2020, 02:52:57 pm »
As a Model 3 owner, i feel the Interface is actually amazing. The fit and finish and the design could use some improvement.

So improvements:
Change trunk and frunk hood deisgn so that snow does not fall in when it is opened.
Change the design of the area around the front license plate so that is does not attract all the dirt on the road
change the deisgn around the rear license plate so that when you take the car through a car wash it does not leave a small streak of dirt in the same area every-time.
Auto wiper could improve (it is similar to the BMW, not that great)

I will try to answer some of your UI questions. You need to spend enough time in the car to figure these out:

the braking was odd.  in fact letting off the gas resulted in regen kicking in but when i wanted more deceleration pressing on the brake felt very strange.  meaning there was little resistance in the pedal initially and then it felt like somebody had put a log under the brake.  maybe i'm missing something here but that was unnerving.  i'm used to the pressure progressively increasing as i press down with my foot.  not hardly anything then a stump.
Thats how typical hybrid brakes are.

pressing a button to open the door was ok, but honestly i don't see the point.  i also wonder if that entry card works all of the time....  that would be annoying if it didn't.
I rarely use the entry card. Entry and locking the car with the phone in your pocket works 99% of the time. The times when it has not worked, i had to reboot my phone.

changing lanes.  was i pressing down too hard on the turn indicator or does this thing not have a touch feature for changing lanes that turns itself off?
Works for me.

also, the gear lever is on the steering column?  it's easy enough to use but that means you have no control of your wipers except on the lower corner of that big screen?  WTF?  i mean, in my car i regularly do 1 touch wipes with one finger when it's lightly raining or snowing.  how do you do that?  and i didn't get to it but how do you spray your windshield with fluid?  don't tell me that's through the screen.  and how do you turn on your high beams?  how do you open the trunk or frunk? 
The stalk on the left. There is a button on its side. If you press it once, it does a 1 touch wipe. If you hold it it will release the washer fluid.
If you push the stalk on the left towards you or away from you it changes the beam. I usually have auto high beam set, which can also be turned on or off by pushing the stalk towards and away from you. The auto high beam works very well (better than the auto wipers)

how do you open the door to the charging port?
3 ways:
From the touchscreen when in park (its right there, there is no need to navigate anywhere.
Using the app
pushing down on the charge port (never done that). I usually use the screen before leaving the car. Like you would push the gas cap release switch in a gas car before leaving the car.

the volume of the stereo was on the lower right part of the screen.   ugh.  you need to swipe up to get into your stereo controls? 
You can do it from the left roller button on the steering wheel.

oh, and you want to redirect the vents?  :censor: me, you have to do several steps to get into that fancy window to control the air?
Yes, it is two touches.

i don't want to be looking down at a screen to do such basic functions like that. 
volume, spray for the windshield, side mirror adjustment
Volume does not need touching screen.
Spray does not need touching screen
1 swipe wiper does not need touching screen
Side mirror needs two touches to open the screen and then you use the buttons on the steering wheel to adjust.

Hope this helps.
and this is money i have saved since Oct 31st. Its approximate as gas prices keep changing (i have put in 1.4 for premium)
Stop giving honest answers ,  ::) we are only use to SE answers  :rofl2:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2020, 03:02:55 pm »
^^^ Good post, CSH. 

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2020, 12:04:17 am »
Parking break is automatic.  When park button on gear selector stalk is selected the parking brakes are applied. 

Tesla brake pedal controls brakes only.  I find them powerful and predictable.  I’ve dead stopped in distances similar to performance cars I’ve owned from 120 km/h, literally hanging in my seat belts till stopped.   This was on performance summer 245 width tires.  Winter braking is linear and well controlled with predictable anti lock on dedicated winter Nokian R2’s.

The regen is controlled by the acceleration pedal, let off fully and you get full regen, and progressively more regen as you release pedal, or less regen as you press on the pedal until of course you get no regen and the acceleration is then relatively more.   

Turn signal doesn’t have a hard lock detent.  It’s a soft select and returns to neutral position.  Tesla did this because the car automatically lane changes on auto pilot so they’d have needed a way to pull the signal selector off the hard locked position when the lane change was done. My old Model S works like most cars and different then the Model 3 because I don’t have autopilot hardware.   

Steering wheel right scroll can be changed to select a variety of settings.  I use it to control the automatic climate control temperature and set everything else on auto. 

Charge port also opens with a button on the charging cable end.  I rarely use the in car menu to open the charge port door.  I use a Tesla supplied charging EVSE box that comes with the car. 

Did a 240 km round trip yesterday in -20C.   Arrived at destination with 65%.  Got home with 30%. 
Today did the same trip in -5C and got home with 45%. 
Preconditioned cabin to 26C for outbound and return trip to get into a warm car. 
100% charge is 410km.  Was 425 km as new 7 years ago. 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 12:25:13 am by Smart Electric »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2020, 06:55:05 pm »
Rode in one today for the first time. My boss' boss. White with white seats, basic rwd max-rebate version. It puts the board in dashboard, just a flat black plank in front of you. Very low cowl, something I like a lot, but I find the interior way too stark for my taste. Just a short ride but it seemed comfy enough. She keeps her car plugged in every night, but range drops quite fast apparently in the cold. During the ride it was at 54% and I don't think there was 100 km on that charge.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2020, 10:44:12 am »
There is no way to disengage traction control (or atleast i don't know)
There is no parking brake
I don't think the steering wheels controls are assignable per se, they do different things depending on where your screen is. either change volume or adjust mirrors etc.

Again, very strange, when we test drove the vehicle (with wife and kids), the dealer still wanted us to go with us.  I would be totally lost without him, so i understand your questions. I was asking questions for 20+ mins during delivery to make sure i understand the vehicle controls. The touch screen is the best part of the vehicle (outside the fact that its and EV). You will not miss or want regular buttons after using it for a few weeks.

The trunk entrance is narrow but it can eat a lot of stuff (there are two compartments in the trunk and the frunk is big enough for one carry on bag. If you want hatch kind of space you have to look at Model Y.

The radio is good but there is no AM satellite radio or car play or andriod auto. Telsa has its native  audio which has FM, Streaming (i think its slacker), TuneIn and Sportify. There is also youtube and netflix which work only when parked. The plus is it works across the border and you dont have to pay for data.

They have 11 speakers in the vehicle and only 7 are enabled. The sound system is ok. When the weather gets better my plan is to wire the remaining speakers.
Again, Telsa has promised an app store for the operating system running in the cars where there will be something like a google play store (developers can build apps not only for audio but for anything that they will make available via api. I will believe that when i see it.) Right now you can use 3rd party apps on your phone (not in the car) and use these API's for example to connect the car to google home or monitor battery condition or control lights, locks, seat heaters etc. So right now i can say, OK google start charging my tesla and the system understands.

I just returned from a 800km round trip (400km each way) trip to Michigan. 3 adults and 2 kids. Reference energy consumption is 130Wh/km. In winters its usuually 160-180. This trip was close to 220wh/km.
Left with 100% charge and had to charge twice on my way there and three times on my way back. Added almost an hour each way to my trip. If i was driving a gas car i would probably have saved an hour and an half of that.
This will get better in summer but on a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 was not inconvenient at all and 10 was unbearable, i would rate this at 7.
While going things were ok, there was restaurants and shops close to charging stops, but while coming back (midnight to 5:50am) most of the stores around the superchargers were closed. With everyone else sleeping in the car, i was just watching netflix and waiting for the battery to charge up.

I think if you have the $ or make frequent long trips buy the long range model. For me, we make these trips max 5 times a year so it i am ok with dealing with this. (Its the same as do you need to own a F150 if think you will need it for your run to homedepot 5 times a year when you buy something that needs a truck.)

As much frustrating the waiting for charging was (believe me it is irritating being alone at the woodstock supercharger at 3am), the autopilot help reduce the frustration and i would still not use my ICE car if i had to make the trip again.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 10:52:35 am by CSH »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2020, 02:02:37 pm »
There is no way to disengage traction control (or atleast i don't know)

Model S has a "slip start" option in the menu.
I can do donuts in the snow easily on that setting, and it helps when getting out of a snow bank, but otherwise, I never use the feature.

There is no parking brake 

The parking brake is automatically engaged when "P" park selector is chosen.
You'll hear a wining "eee" sound for a second as the screw based parking brake system engages.