Author Topic: Tesla Model 3 SR+ RWD reviews etc  (Read 43110 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Tesla Model 3 SR+ RWD reviews etc
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 12:10:53 pm »

To summarize: Telsa autopilot is the best system that exists out there but you HAVE to keep your hands on the steering and pay attention on the road. PERIOD.

Actually, GM's SuperCruise has been shown to be superior for the last couple of years in independent testing.

But otherwise, build quality is as I've been saying.  On par with a vehicle built a decade ago.

Will be interesting to see your long term ownership.
Why do you always have to rain on everyone's parade? Let the guy enjoy his car.

Only if it is a Tesla  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 02:59:54 pm »

To summarize: Telsa autopilot is the best system that exists out there but you HAVE to keep your hands on the steering and pay attention on the road. PERIOD.

Actually, GM's SuperCruise has been shown to be superior for the last couple of years in independent testing.

But otherwise, build quality is as I've been saying.  On par with a vehicle built a decade ago.

I'm reasonably sure he's not crying in his beer.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2019, 04:44:11 pm »

Can he afford a beer now  ??? ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2019, 05:09:42 pm »

Can he afford a beer now  ??? ;D
He should take money saved in gas weekly and put towards beer fund!

Offline Mach1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Sienna
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2019, 03:25:33 pm »
First mini day trip on the weekend. Traveled from Ottawa to Mont-Tremblant and back. Here are a few pics at the Supercharger. I was maxed out at 90KW. We were there for about 15 minutes. Just enough time to stretch our legs, grab a snack, and we were done charging to 80%. Plenty to get us back to Ottawa with about 100kms left. Looking forward for more of these.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1197
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2019, 04:12:04 pm »
Great! Thanks for sharing your story!

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2019, 04:16:47 pm »
Congratulations on the car purchase.

Please update us on how it performs in winter (heating, charging, range, handling, etc.) and what it's like to live with on a daily basis.

Why does it not have AM radio?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 04:19:44 pm by overtakeyouintheleftlane »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2019, 07:22:46 pm »
My boss' boss just put in an order for a basic Model 3 rwd, kept the options low to access the max 13k$ incentives. White with white leather - did not get exact build details, probably fake leather at this price point. She loved the glass roof on her test drive and probably won't notice the road noise from it as her current dd is a Wrangler Unlimited.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2019, 07:24:49 pm »
My boss' boss just put in an order for a basic Model 3 rwd, kept the options low to access the max 13k$ incentives. White with white leather - did not get exact build details, probably fake leather at this price point. She loved the glass roof on her test drive and probably won't notice the road noise from it as her current dd is a Wrangler Unlimited.

The Model 3 will probably feel like a Rolls Royce in comparison!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2019, 08:28:55 pm »

IIRC it needs to come under 50 grand to qualify for incentives, federal ones anyway. And if so what an amazing value the 3 is. I bet the test drive impression is what sold her. Now comes the gas station PTSD  :P
P.S. Upper trim levels (possibly not all) also have fake leather.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2019, 08:35:07 pm »

IIRC it needs to come under 50 grand to qualify for incentives, federal ones anyway. And if so what an amazing value the 3 is. I bet the test drive impression is what sold her. Now comes the gas station PTSD  :P
P.S. Upper trim levels (possibly not all) also have fake leather.

IIRC, all Model 3 have fake leather.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6

Offline Mach1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Sienna
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2019, 02:05:34 pm »
Not sure. But the car and battery has the capability to pre-condition itself if you set your destination of a supercharger on the NAV. I got the notification maybe 10 minutes before i got there. It was around 10 degrees on that day. I assume at -20 if you dont set the supercharger as destination the first few minutes plugged in will be "wasted" warming up the battery.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +314/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2019, 10:55:55 am »
Bjorn Nyland is an expert with EV's in cold weather.
He has installed a monitoring device on his Model 3 in Norway and has videos showing the charging on cold battery this week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDm5zIfr3qI

Our experience in a 2013 Tesla Model S:

Cold days, maximum supercharging around 30 kW, as compared to maximum 90 kW in warm weather.
If you pre-heat the car, it also pre-heats the battery pack, with 30 minutes of pre-heating, this improves fast charging to 50 kW.
Another method to heat the battery is to accelerate/regenerate repeatedly, which absolutely works and you can get high charging rates even in cold temps.

If you follow the advice of Bjorn once again, you can get good fast charging rates on cold days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1C-tPkevIA

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2019, 12:58:36 pm »
Quick update:

Just hit the 13,000KM mark. 3 months and a bit.
No regular service or any issues with it so far.
Telsa recommends cleaning the pads and rotors every 20K or so. My plan is to get it done when i swap tires (Winter-Summer and Summer-Winter)

Will still stick to my initial impressions: Build quality is average, interior materials are very good and sound system is :censor:
They recently pushed out and update that increased the power by 5%. Useless to me, wish they had increased the range instead.

Supercharger experience:
Took a round trip from Mississauga to London (350km round trip). Had to stop in Cambridge on my way back. Supercharger was next to a Boston pizza. Went in for a washroom break, watched a couple of videos on youtube and i was done charging (enough to get home and take kids to swimming and back in about 15 minutes)

Yesterday was interesting, the day before I went to the garage to do something and unplugged the charger, got up in the morning and saw 25kms range remaining for my 150km daily commute to work plus kids class.
Stopped by supercharger on my may to work. Took 20-25 mins of charging to get enough juice to make it to work and back and kids classes. Since it was 6:30am nothing around was open, so i turned the heating on while i waited in the car and watched netflix. Was late for work.

Summer average for my 150km trip is about 130wh/km and in the winter (-8 outside) with heating set to 21 and seat heater on at 2/3 the energy consumption goes to 180wh/km.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 01:00:44 pm by CSH »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2019, 01:10:09 pm »
^^ Wow that is a massive commute. Thanks for the update.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2019, 01:19:03 pm »
Quick update:

Just hit the 13,000KM mark. 3 months and a bit.
No regular service or any issues with it so far.
Telsa recommends cleaning the pads and rotors every 20K or so. My plan is to get it done when i swap tires (Winter-Summer and Summer-Winter)

Will still stick to my initial impressions: Build quality is average, interior materials are very good and sound system is :censor:
They recently pushed out and update that increased the power by 5%. Useless to me, wish they had increased the range instead.

Supercharger experience:
Took a round trip from Mississauga to London (350km round trip). Had to stop in Cambridge on my way back. Supercharger was next to a Boston pizza. Went in for a washroom break, watched a couple of videos on youtube and i was done charging (enough to get home and take kids to swimming and back in about 15 minutes)

Yesterday was interesting, the day before I went to the garage to do something and unplugged the charger, got up in the morning and saw 25kms range remaining for my 150km daily commute to work plus kids class.
Stopped by supercharger on my may to work. Took 20-25 mins of charging to get enough juice to make it to work and back and kids classes. Since it was 6:30am nothing around was open, so i turned the heating on while i waited in the car and watched netflix. Was late for work.

Summer average for my 150km trip is about 130wh/km and in the winter (-8 outside) with heating set to 21 and seat heater on at 2/3 the energy consumption goes to 180wh/km.
So nice to read an unbiassed review 

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +314/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2019, 02:32:55 pm »
13,000KM mark. 3 months

50000 km per year, roughly $1100 in overnight charging vs $5700 in gas, in one year, that's a pretty compelling cost difference, glad to see you driving an EV!

the day before I went to the garage to do something and unplugged the charger, got up in the morning and saw 25kms range remaining for my 150km daily commute to work plus kids class

Yeah, been there, sorry you experienced that. 

I would note that when I arrive on low state of charge, our Model S screen has an advisory message to charge immediately, does the Model 3 show that? 

We routinely charge immediately when arriving home with less than 50% SOC, and especially home from a long drive in the winter, as the battery is already warm, so it's makes sense to start charging right away as waiting to charge can let the pack cool down.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2019, 03:22:22 pm »
No it dosen't ask me to charge.
I have given the car permission to access my calendar, so it puts the GPS location of my first meeting (which is usually work) directly into the navigation and if it dosen't have enough juice then it navigates me through a supercharger.

I am happy with the savings. I recently installed an app which pulls the amount of energy used while charging and the distance driven directly from the car's computer. I have manually entered the hydro rates (mid peak) and the cost of gas (premium as that is what i used to put in my BMW) and it gives me the cost savings. Here are the latest numbers:

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:24:42 pm by CSH »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2019, 04:40:23 pm »
reg in a 3 series is OK  ;D
Does that include the new lower rates Dougie promised? Wait the rates went up  :P :rofl2: