Author Topic: Wagon Wednesday (Every Day) - 2019 VW Golf SportWagen  (Read 25082 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: Wagon Wednesday (Every Day) - 2019 VW Golf SportWagen
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2020, 06:15:08 pm »
yes. no more Sportwagens. I'm hoping mine goes up in value  as it's now a limited edition ;-)

Slap a Buick badge on it and you're gold.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2020, 07:13:37 pm »
yes. no more Sportwagens. I'm hoping mine goes up in value  as it's now a limited edition ;-)

Slap a Buick badge on it and you're gold.
no...debadging is what's hot right now.

When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2020, 11:02:48 pm »
White is fastest!  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2020, 11:23:41 pm »

Yeah, no!! Can't be going that fast without a helmet on even, lol!!

Great looking TDI tho.

This is fast... ish

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2020, 07:58:51 am »

Is that a certain Mr. Makse I see riding shotgun?
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2020, 08:40:07 am »
The Sportwagen will no longer be offered in Canada after we finish selling out of the remaining 2019s.

I think VW is alienating its customers with this move.

How?  The market has spoken.  Very few people want them.

The wagon actually sells reasonably well in Canada and wagon buyers tend to be fairly loyal and wealthier (for example, E-class wagon buyers are Mercedes' highest net worth customers). People buying wagons don't tend to want to switch to crossovers. When BMW killed the 5-series wagon in North America and replaced it with the Gran Turismo, their wagon buyers switched to Audi and Mercedes and the 5-series GT just cannibalized 7-series sales.

It's a small niche but if VW can sell the Arteon here to the tune of a few hundred units a year then surely the business case is there for selling a few thousand Golf wagons.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2020, 09:15:43 am »

This is fast... ish

Nah, that's just a wobbly hand.  :rofl2:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2020, 09:37:49 am »
The Sportwagen will no longer be offered in Canada after we finish selling out of the remaining 2019s.

The wagon actually sells reasonably well in Canada and wagon buyers tend to be fairly loyal and wealthier (for example, E-class wagon buyers are Mercedes' highest net worth customers). People buying wagons don't tend to want to switch to crossovers. When BMW killed the 5-series wagon in North America and replaced it with the Gran Turismo, their wagon buyers switched to Audi and Mercedes and the 5-series GT just cannibalized 7-series sales.

It's a small niche but if VW can sell the Arteon here to the tune of a few hundred units a year then surely the business case is there for selling a few thousand Golf wagons.
Are you writing Patrick post is BS ?
No doubt there's still a market for the wagon in Canada, but not in the U.S. - and without their involvement, the business case becomes very difficult.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2020, 09:39:19 am »
If you are looking at them, how do you tell they have the drivers assistance package?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2020, 09:42:27 am »
If you are looking at them, how do you tell they have the drivers assistance package?
If there a seat for your wife it has drivers assistance  ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2020, 09:47:53 am »

This is fast... ish

Nah, that's just a wobbly hand.  :rofl2:

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I think he was more interested in the 996 Turbo that was hot on my tail... hard to run away from one of those cars, even with a shitty driver piloting it  :rofl2:

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2020, 09:48:37 am »
If there a seat for your wife it has drivers assistance  ;D

Heh, and how is the leatherette on the Highline? I see it is perforated, but not vented

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2020, 09:58:00 am »

Are you writing Patrick post is BS ?
No doubt there's still a market for the wagon in Canada, but not in the U.S. - and without their involvement, the business case becomes very difficult.

No, but I'm having a hard time seeing a business case for the Arteon that is better than for the Golf wagon and Alltrack. 🤷‍♂️

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2020, 10:36:43 am »
Unless the business case for the Arteon is in the US and we got it just because...

The Golf Wagon sells because it's pretty inexpensive for what you get.   Take away the US and the price likely goes up... and sales correspondingly go down.   I do agree though that wagon buyers are loyal and there SHOULD be a business case for Canada in there somewhere.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2020, 10:40:43 am »
Unless the business case for the Arteon is in the US and we got it just because...

The Golf Wagon sells because it's pretty inexpensive for what you get.   Take away the US and the price likely goes up... and sales correspondingly go down.   I do agree though that wagon buyers are loyal and there SHOULD be a business case for Canada in there somewhere.

They only sold 1500 Arteons so far in the U.S. this year. Obviously covid has affected sales, but it was never going to be a volume seller.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2020, 10:46:06 am »

Yep!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2020, 11:14:44 am »

Yep!

You sure look like you were having a good time!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2020, 11:20:20 am »

They only sold 1500 Arteons so far in the U.S. this year. Obviously covid has affected sales, but it was never going to be a volume seller.

Arteon is built in Germany, I believe, so selling it in Canada may not have as much to do with the U.S. And it’s a premium product for VW, so more room to price in higher production costs.

But am I right that VW is stopping all Golf production at its Mexican plant? So now instead of sourcing cheap(er) Golf wagons from Mexico, VW Canada would have to bring them over from Europe. Can’t make it work with the extra hassle and higher costs, I guess.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2020, 11:29:07 am »

Arteon is built in Germany, I believe, so selling it in Canada may not have as much to do with the U.S. And it’s a premium product for VW, so more room to price in higher production costs.

But am I right that VW is stopping all Golf production at its Mexican plant? So now instead of sourcing cheap(er) Golf wagons from Mexico, VW Canada would have to bring them over from Europe. Can’t make it work with the extra hassle and higher costs, I guess.

But they're bringing over the regular Golf which will also be built in Germany.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2020, 11:42:02 am »
^^ What’s the ratio of hatchback sales to wagon sales in Canada? 10 to 1? 5 to 1?

Given the numbers, I guess it makes sense for the hatchback but not the wagon? I dunno.

Hopefully it’s not a permanent thing and the wagon comes back some day. Doesn’t seem likely in these CUV-crazed times, but you never know. Didn’t the wagon disappear after the MK3, then come back for a bit as a Jetta, then disappear again until the MK7?