Author Topic: Bob's Bike Thread  (Read 5662 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Bob's Bike Thread
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2020, 09:12:51 pm »
Thanks for all the advice on here, especially Ron! Pulled the trigger on a 2020 KTM 300 XC-W TPI for me, and a TTR 230 for Elliot.  Had a blast today in Ganaraska!

The KTM is so light and nimble it's just amazing, so much easier to ride than the CRF just because it's so light. But the power at the top end is savage! ha ha

Elliot did really well. The TTR 230 is a heavy old beast and he dropped it a few times. He was exhausted but loved the day, he can't wait to do it again.

This Summer is going to be amazing, woot!

;D

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2020, 09:17:04 pm »
Meh...can't take too much credit...this was a no brainer answer...like what color is the grass?   :rofl: :rofl2:

Am super glad you found one!!  Did you have a hard time doing so?

I know you had some concerns about the power....but how do you find it?  As easy to use as I described when not WFO? (my view of easy might be different from yours)  And yes...up top the power can be brutal for when you want it (open areas). 4th gear wheelies no problem-o! 

I'm guessing the suspension suits your weight and is amazing...which helps with the easy to ride part.

Am really, really happy for you man!  And a bit jealous if I'm honest!  ;D

TTRs last forever...Elliot will be able to hand it down to his kids!!   ;D

(BTW...does Elliot have a chest protector?  I think I have one kicking around in his size).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 09:20:19 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2020, 09:20:14 pm »
So much awesome right there. Nothing better than hitting the trails with your kid IMO.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2020, 09:21:04 pm »
So much awesome right there. Nothing better than hitting the trails with your kid IMO.

Seriously!

Those become lifetime memories right there.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2020, 09:32:39 pm »
Meh...can't take too much credit...this was a no brainer answer...like what color is the grass?   :rofl: :rofl2:

Am super glad you found one!!  Did you have a hard time doing so?

I know you had some concerns about the power....but how do you find it?  As easy to use as I described when not WFO? (my view of easy might be different from yours)  And yes...up top the power can be brutal for when you want it (open areas). 4th gear wheelies no problem-o! 

I'm guessing the suspension suits your weight and is amazing...which helps with the easy to ride part.

Am really, really happy for you man!  And a bit jealous if I'm honest!  ;D

TTRs last forever...Elliot will be able to hand it down to his kids!!   ;D

(BTW...does Elliot have a chest protector?  I think I have one kicking around in his size).

Yeah, found it at the dealership, no probs!  ;D

The power is great, 2nd and 3rd are fine for most trails, 3rd is even good for some steep hills. The front is way lighter than the CRF though so can be a battle to keep down when accelerating up rocky slopes.

I haven't set up the suspension for me, but it's really good as is. Will get it done ASAP. I literally picked it up Saturday, and took it straight to the trails today.

Yeah he has all the armour thanks, he just took everything off before we got the pic.

Honestly, really pleased with his bike, I'm going to be keeping it for a long time.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2020, 09:34:00 pm »

He looked like he was going to give up after the first 30 mins, then got his energy back. I'm so glad I've found something we can really bond over, it's great!

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2020, 09:52:41 pm »

Yeah, found it at the dealership, no probs!  ;D

The power is great, 2nd and 3rd are fine for most trails,

Honestly, really pleased with his bike, I'm going to be keeping it for a long time.

Awesome!!  I'm glad your experience with the gearing matches what I tried to describe.  It really is a special engine...so torquey for a 2-stroke...with that big top end hit like most 2 strokes.

Bob starting to drink the orange KTM Kool-Aid....almost brings a tear to my eye!   ;D

Well have fun, man.  Really happy for you and your boy.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 09:54:27 pm by rrocket »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2020, 11:30:33 pm »
That’s great! Can’t go wrong with the 300, that’s for sure. :thumbup:

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1209
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2020, 07:23:03 am »
Great! Enjoy the bikes!

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2020, 07:43:05 am »
Boss!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2020, 08:30:22 am »
That's just terrific!
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2020, 09:38:29 am »
Nice! Every boy should have a dirt bike at some point, and great to have something you can do together

And that KTM looks gorgeous

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2020, 02:13:15 pm »
Congrats on the 300 it really is the best choice. I give your son a year or two and he will want the 300 and you will have to get another. ;D

Judging by your pic you don't look too heavy so the stock suspension may work for you but if with gear you are pushing 190 then I suggest going up spring rates. The explorer fork is soft so you want it riding in the proper part of the stroke. If you do change keep them for when your son gets your bike. First step is to SET THE REAR SAG TO SPEC!! Procedure is in the manual and it is absolutely vital. Next after a few hours make sure your spokes are all still tight.

My suggested mod list (take it or leave it ) for the 300 after riding them for almost 20 years:

1) Get some hand protection for both bikes. They will save your levers when you drop it and will save your hand if you nail a tree. I literally bent one back last week against a tree last week. It would have destroyed my hand and all the fingers.. Cyrca Pro Bends.

2) You look tall? Over 6' and you should be looking at moving the bars forward (stock adjustable) and if it still feels a little low then look at 20-30mm of bar risers. You should be on your feet 80-90% of the time. The wooden plank of the seat will convince you to stand anyhow lol.

3) Get some protection on the expansion chamber of your pipe. These are vulnerable and once you start lofting obstacles like logs, rocks or worse fail to the pipe will take a beating. Distorting the pipe screws up your power.

3) Go buy some heavy duty or ultra heavy duty tubes. RMATV are now selling Tusk ones for $15.  The stock ones are paper thin and it is a matter of when not if...Hopefully they last until winter and you you can swap them then.

The rest can come as you experience the bike, the list is long  ;D.

- If you find front end nervous or it is deflecting  ( then steering stabilizer (I like scotts, will also give you free bar rise).
- safety wire your shifter and rear brake pedals.
- rear aluminum shark fin to protect rear rotor, front optional
- remove the lock nuts on your tube valves and replace with some clear tubing. This will keep your valve in pace but will let go if the tire slips on the rim and won't tear the valve stem from the tube.

That is it for the easy stuff.

Trail bag: In addition to your standard tools carry an extra fuel line cone filter and an oring for the fuel quick connect. If you are not carrying tools to swap tubes/patch then at the very least carry some heavy zip ties to secure tire to rim while you ride it out. carry some wire to jump the bikes if required.

Need a bag? I really really really recommend the Klim Nac Pac with hydration

https://bfdmoto.com/products/klim-nac-pac-shape-shift-3l-hydrapak

Again awesome choice and if you find the 300 is not for you I bill buy it at a reasonable price.  ;D

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 02:15:37 pm by ktm525 »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2020, 11:11:15 pm »
One more added to the garage. More pics in Show & Shine.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2020, 11:29:52 pm »
New Triumph?

Glad it's no struggle to find the bikes you want! :)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2020, 09:23:30 am »
New Triumph?

Glad it's no struggle to find the bikes you want! :)

Funnily enough, these Triumphs are fairly limited this year, as they had to shut down production. And GP Bikes has barely any dirt bikes left at all. They've only been open 2 weeks since March and they've sold out.  It's crazy, given the recession and all.