Author Topic: Turtle Wax MAX-power car wash  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Turtle Wax MAX-power car wash
« on: August 11, 2019, 04:09:44 pm »
I have been washing, waxing and detailing my own cars for 42 years. This is hands down the worst car wash I have ever used. I am so disappointed. I have 3 issues with it.

1)   It foams up pretty good in bucket. But when I take my wash mitt to the car the foam disappears instantly. It appears like you are washing with water once it is on the car. It is the worst I have ever seen for lack of foam once on the car.

2)   Car wash should provide a lubricant when washing the car. Because this does not feel soapy or sudsy at all the wash mitt does not glide across the paint. It feel more like it is dragging across the paint.

3)   Lastly… I found out after using it that it has the potential (when use used in high concentration) to strip the wax off the car. The prime reason not to use dish soap to wash a car is that it will strip the wax. Why in the world would I want my car wash to strip off wax? I wax my cars twice (Spring and Fall) each year. But I wash my cars at least once a week. Why would I want the wax I put on last week to be stripped off the car in the first wash?

I wish I could return this stuff but I had it too long before I tried it (UPDATE: I ask and Costco allow me to return the item. Boy are they great). I will never use it on my cars again. I will use the rest to wash thing like lawn furniture or my deck. This stuff is terrible.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 11:25:06 am by slybry »
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Re: Turtle Wax MAX-power car wash
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 08:26:13 am »
So, you don't like it?   :rofl2:

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 09:03:04 am »
So, you don't like it?   :rofl2:

I'm on the fence........ :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 01:42:30 pm by slybry »

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 05:54:27 pm »
I had put my review of product on Crappy Tire Web site. Turtle Wax responded to it. I give them full kudos for responding but they pretty much validated everything I said.

Response from TurtleWax:
We are sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with MAX Power Car Wash. This product was designed with high cleaning power (thus the capability for a higher pH). Since this is not a typical wash & wax car soap, it was not formulated to sud/foam up like other washes, but that does not mean the cleaning power is not there! This also links in to the lubricity; since it does not have wax or typical car wash surfactants, it will not "glide" the same way as a traditional wash. The ability to strip wax at its higher cleaning power is great for prepping your vehicle for its seasonal wax; allowing the new wax to adhere directly to the clear coat. This level may also come in handy for paint/clear coat work, hard water spots, tough grease, bugs, salt, brake dust, etc.

If you wash at 3oz per 1 gallon of water, it will not strip your wax. We would also suggest looking into our ICE Snow Foam Wash or our Carnauba Wash & Wax for a more bubbly wash. =]

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 10:45:13 pm »
Kind of a funny coincidence that I used this product for the first time recently as well. We had a helicopter to wash, and this was what the engineer grabbed at the local Cdn Tire.

I do remember that it didn't suds up so much, but I was impressed with how well it actually cleaned. Suds or not, it took soot off the tail boom better than your average car-wash soap.

But yeah, I probably wouldn't buy it for everyday car washes. Maybe that's why they call it MAX-Power - it's for when you need something extra, not for your regular car-wash days.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 08:45:53 am »
Their suggestion of Turtle Wax ICE is spot on.  I used to swear by that stuff for Miss Jetta.  I think I polluted a lot of threads with my slappiness in the old days.