Author Topic: VW Exec Says EV Tipping Point, Price Parity Near  (Read 4940 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: VW Exec Says EV Tipping Point, Price Parity Near
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2019, 02:20:22 pm »
A new Corolla is also far safer for your parents I'd imagine. Stronger body structure, double or triple the amount of air bags, etc
And isn't made by a fly by night auto manufacturer

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 03:17:54 pm »
A new Corolla is also far safer for your parents I'd imagine. Stronger body structure, double or triple the amount of air bags, etc

My Smart ED has 8 air bags and top safety rating too, but it's not a big selling feature for old people who drive 10 km a day in the country.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2019, 03:20:25 pm »
That seems, well, profoundly uninformed.

The new Corolla was their 20th car purchase over their lifetimes together.
They like it the least.   They prefer the 15 year old reliable and cheaper to run Corolla they traded in for it.

They are as informed as any gas car owner I know, and generally would do their own maintenance on the car, but new cars aren't designed for maintenance like the older generation cars, and when you're 80+, you're unlikely to jack up the car to repair the brakes.

Insulting my parents as uninformed is ridiculous given my feedback earlier in this thread if you read the posts.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2019, 03:22:31 pm »

3.   Dealer gave them a bill for $400 for reconditioning brakes, shaved rotors, pads, the works.   My dad was upset and countered that the car is a lease and required to maintain to Toyota specs, but why this maintenance when car has 10000 km on it.   #SAD

So which one of your parents drives with one foot on the brake?

Was something wrong with the brakes that required your folks to bring the car in?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2019, 03:24:47 pm »
And isn't made by a fly by night auto manufacturer 

As you know, my parents weren't in the market for a Tesla.   Not sure what your game is here, but they are long term Toyota owners, and this new car is troubling them due to being far more expensive to own and operate, with no improvement in efficiency and worse maintenance costs.

Whereas our Tesla has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned, and I have no regrets.
Somehow, Tesla owners have highest satisfaction, but other makes can't claim that can they ... so much for fly my night.

Back on topic, this is about Toyota providing a worse value proposition on a brand new car, no better in efficiency than their 15 year old Corolla, and maintenance requirements that the old car never had issues with, the newest item is brakes after 10000 km.   Seriously.   Defending Toyota against my innocent 80+ parents and you are all bringing up FUD.   Huh?

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2019, 03:27:48 pm »

It's actually the opposite.  They drive with so much care they let off the accelerator way before their stop signs in the country.   The brakes were in poor shape due to lack of use.   Whereas the old Corolla had no issue with being driven eco, the new car seized up and had serial problems, leading to a $400 bill.

Care to continue to bash my parents as poor drivers and uninformed?
Seriously.  Where do you all come off.

Have I EVER once let into any of you on your parents and their cars?
I am unimpressed with this forum.   Not able to accept fact and feedback without debasing and poor replies.   Shame.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2019, 03:29:54 pm »
Why did he authorize this work then?

Required terms by the lease and delivered in heavy handed way according to my parents.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2019, 03:37:41 pm »

Somehow, Tesla owners have highest satisfaction, but other makes can't claim that can they ... so much for fly my night.

if you are an engineer, you must have rudimentary understanding of stats?  Tesla buyers SEEK out tesla.  Not EV.  TESLA. because it's the "cool" thing nowdays.    that plays a role in their "satisfaction" level, wouldn't you agree?

people like you, for instance. 

99% of toyota buyers buy reliable personal transportation appliance.   they don't know that normal engines require maintenance, nor which wheels provide propulsion, nor do they care or think their car is better/worse than others.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2019, 03:42:12 pm »

It's actually the opposite.  They drive with so much care they let off the accelerator way before their stop signs in the country.   The brakes were in poor shape due to lack of use.   Whereas the old Corolla had no issue with being driven eco, the new car seized up and had serial problems, leading to a $400 bill.

I am unimpressed with this forum.   Not able to accept fact and feedback without debasing and poor replies.   Shame.
It's not your parents, really. It's the first thing that comes to mind when I hear of (alleged) premature brake wear (or other wear). Operator error. Poor driving habits.

If you say they drive perfectly safe and slowly...ok...

But like I said...you've stretched the truth before when it's come to ICE vehicles (and one of the most reliable cars on the market)..so pardon us if we're skeptical.....

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2019, 05:10:06 pm »
  The brakes were in poor shape due to lack of use.

Yeah, Volvo pulled this one one me when the C30 required new rear brakes 9 months into my ownership.  The dealership had used the car as a customer courtesy vehicle for 15 months and only put 5000km on it, but accused me of not using it enough...  I had put at least 1000km on it monthly...
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2019, 05:10:41 pm »

It's not your parents, really. It's the first thing that comes to mind when I hear of (alleged) premature brake wear (or other wear). Operator error. Poor driving habits.

But like I said...you've stretched the truth before when it's come to ICE vehicles (and one of the most reliable cars on the market)..so pardon us if we're skeptical.....

I concur!! I have never seen a new car that requires brakes after 10k kms!!! What the heck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2019, 05:19:39 pm »
So how can a car sit on the dealer's lot for 3-6 months and have no issues with the brakes? But is somebody drives it infrequently, it screws up the brakes?

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2019, 05:29:30 pm »

This is a classic case of older technology (drum brakes in the rear) being preferable to new technology. I have experienced premature rear brake damage over the years. (ie, rusted and scored rotors, frozen calipers) Nothing as extreme as only 10,000 kms, but I can believe it.

I sold my Dad's 1998 Camry last summer, and it only had 50,100 kms on it. That car was driven less than 3,000 kms for the last ten years. (He was 96 when he died, and had only drove to the library for the last five years.) The rear drum brakes were still in perfect condition when I had it safetied for sale.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2019, 11:43:56 pm »

If you're unimpressed then you're welcome to stay away, I for one won't miss your constant Tesla drivel.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2019, 03:09:26 am »

Just so were clear..

When Autopilot (a new and relatively untested technology) was causing accidents it shouldn't have (and killing people) you were the first person to continually blame the driver. Yes, even the dead ones.

Yet someone casually wonders if drivers might be responsible for premature wear on a vehicle, and you lose your :censor: and play the "for shame" card here while blaming the car.

You do see your views are kinda inconsistent, eh?

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2019, 02:05:20 pm »
Update:  Dealer refused to budge, forced my parents to pay $400 for the brake job as required by the lease to maintain the car condition.

The service adviser recommended to drive the car harder, brake hard at least a few times on every drive.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2019, 03:13:24 pm »
Update:  Dealer refused to budge, forced my parents to pay $400 for the brake job as required by the lease to maintain the car condition.

What was the problem exactly? Were the brakes giving trouble?

The only time we take our CRV to a dealer is for recalls and every time we get a list of :censor: the service advisor would like to get fixed.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2019, 03:15:28 pm »
You're making it sound like the dealer was not going to let them drive home without getting the work done.

I'd suggest they find an indie mechanic.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:32:40 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2019, 04:54:17 pm »

I concur!! I have never seen a new car that requires brakes after 10k kms!!! What the heck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless his mom and dad were doing track sessions on the weekend, its absolutely inexscusable to need brakes at 10k kms.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2019, 06:12:50 pm »
Do they live by the ocean and their rotors rusted badly? Seems crazy they would have needed replacement that some especially for a garage parked car.