Author Topic: VW Exec Says EV Tipping Point, Price Parity Near  (Read 4947 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
VW Exec Says EV Tipping Point, Price Parity Near
« on: August 09, 2019, 09:52:32 am »
Big scale, small costs soon
Read more...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: VW Exec Says EV Tipping Point, Price Parity Near
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 03:40:30 pm »
I am wondering his definition of parity....can’t see it happening anytime soon unless he means ‘savings from gas’ - price of new EV + incentives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 11:54:45 am »
Bah. Using the same strategy they tried with TDI....

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 12:40:32 pm »
I think the more important question concerns VW's idea of "near" with regards to EV price parity.  Car companies like VW are big enough to weather many storms and that allows for a fairly long view of things.  It's easy or even essential for them to plan for the next decade.

Regular car buyers who might be considering an EV might have a different time frame in mind.  Most people - and financial planning types - view a car as one of the biggest single purchases they will make in their lives assuming they buy new. Once bought, budget conscious people will want to keep their cars for quite a long time, which could easily be over 10 years.

So, if by "near" he means 2028 (the date he mentions in the quote), then I would think most consumers would say that's not soon enough if their current car is in need of replacing now or in a year or two.  They will probably buy a gas powered car as it is still the more cost effective choice for most people.  As a result, gas powered vehicles will still need support and ready access to fuel until at least 2030.

If, on the other hand, the buyers can wait 4 or 5 years from now, then I suspect many of them will make the leap to an EV.  By then I would argue it would be the logical choice even if price parity hadn't been reached for all cars on the market.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 04:17:29 pm »
I think the more important question concerns VW's idea of "near" with regards to EV price parity.  Car companies like VW are big enough to weather many storms and that allows for a fairly long view of things.  It's easy or even essential for them to plan for the next decade.

Regular car buyers who might be considering an EV might have a different time frame in mind.  Most people - and financial planning types - view a car as one of the biggest single purchases they will make in their lives assuming they buy new. Once bought, budget conscious people will want to keep their cars for quite a long time, which could easily be over 10 years.

So, if by "near" he means 2028 (the date he mentions in the quote), then I would think most consumers would say that's not soon enough if their current car is in need of replacing now or in a year or two.  They will probably buy a gas powered car as it is still the more cost effective choice for most people.  As a result, gas powered vehicles will still need support and ready access to fuel until at least 2030.

If, on the other hand, the buyers can wait 4 or 5 years from now, then I suspect many of them will make the leap to an EV.  By then I would argue it would be the logical choice even if price parity hadn't been reached for all cars on the market.

We will live to see - hopefully....I think EV adoption will be crazy slow....the only way more people will consider one is if there is a solid infrastructure in place in the 2-3 years....I am not seeing that coming anytime soon.

Another road block is winter and range and finally price...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 05:46:08 pm »

We will live to see - hopefully....I think EV adoption will be crazy slow....the only way more people will consider one is if there is a solid infrastructure in place in the 2-3 years....I am not seeing that coming anytime soon.

Another road block is winter and range and finally price...

For me, a low mileage driver,  and I could get by with 400Km range and I can afford a fancy Tesla.      I think I'll get through my remaining driving life with internal combustion.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 07:44:32 pm »
Here’s a common scenario for the Canadian and American families:

https://youtu.be/DVSHIZihESk

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 01:40:34 pm »
My parents regret buying a new gas powered Toyota Corolla last year.
The new model is not an improvement over the 15 year old Corolla they traded in for it.

They are not early adopters, but when they realized that they could have kept their ancient gas car on the road and just bought a short range used EV like and old Leaf or Smart, for the 99% short trips they take, they do have second thoughts on the transition to electric.   Not everyone needs to buy new, there are plenty of used options for those on a budget.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 03:55:52 pm »
The new model is not an improvement over the 15 year old Corolla they traded in for it.

Thanks for the morning laugh.  :rofl2:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 07:18:03 pm »

I think you wrote you are a engineer or I'm misinformed?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:45:28 pm by Airbalancer »

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 07:21:40 pm »

Literally...the ONLY people in the world who think a new Corolla isn't an improvement over a 2004 Corolla....

FFS...

(FWIW, my step mom bought a new one too last year).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 07:23:55 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 04:02:31 pm »
I think you wrote you are a engineer or I'm misinformed?

Engineer.   Why does my parents dissatisfaction with the new Corolla have to do with my education level?

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 04:08:04 pm »
Literally...the ONLY people in the world who think a new Corolla isn't an improvement over a 2004 Corolla.

My parents did minimal maintenance and ran the old Corolla into the ground, after 15 years it had only a shade over 100000 km.

New Corolla has been into the dealer multiple times and have received bills of $500 for maintenance after 1.5 years and under full bumper to bumper warranty.

The new car is not an improvement to them.   
The gas mileage is not better, the car takes more money to maintain and offers nothing to them additional for their very small amount of driving.

The part I didn't mention is that one of their options was to take over my old short range electric car for the little amount of daily driving they do, and keep the ancient gas car for the 2 "long" (200 km in one day) trips they take in a year, it would have been $20K cheaper to do so.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 06:35:54 pm »
Literally...the ONLY people in the world who think a new Corolla isn't an improvement over a 2004 Corolla.

My parents did minimal maintenance and ran the old Corolla into the ground, after 15 years it had only a shade over 100000 km.

New Corolla has been into the dealer multiple times and have received bills of $500 for maintenance after 1.5 years and under full bumper to bumper warranty.

The gas mileage is not better, the car takes more money to maintain and offers nothing to them additional for their very small amount of driving.

The part I didn't mention is that one of their options was to take over my old short range electric car for the little amount of daily driving they do, and keep the ancient gas car for the 2 "long" (200 km in one day) trips they take in a year, it would have been $20K cheaper to do so.
Oh geez!! Really!!???

8.4L/100km vs 7.5L/100km on the combined cycle, but no savings?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 06:41:56 pm »
I have multiple vehicles and a super short commute. Ideal candidate for an electric. Of course I get by just fine with a $2500 car so price parity is far off for me. I would really like to electrify the Innocenti but it is still quite expensive with batteries, controllers and a lack of used components still.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 08:23:37 pm »

I dunno..I can't believe everything you say because of your history.

Do tell what the maintenance is for?  Because I personally know the schedule from step-moms new Corolla.

The first visit is at 8,000kms.  It was complimentary.  Everything is just an inspection for this one.  The first "real" maintenance is at 16,000kms.  Oil change.  Everything else is just an inspection/optional.  And I can get the actual costs if you want.  Oil change interval 16,000kms.

But you say your folks drive very little...so I'm guessing they might not even have required an oil change yet....

More details...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 01:21:43 pm »
1.   Their new car does not get the MPG quoted on their short drives.   Their old car did.   
Toyota got only 10% EPA rating improvement in 15 years of "innovation" (HA!) as per the picture above, #SAD.   :(

2.   Car is garage parked (Because I am a good son, I installed a new powered garage door opener and configured it so their car uses it). 

3.   Dealer gave them a bill for $400 for reconditioning brakes, shaved rotors, pads, the works.   My dad was upset and countered that the car is a lease and required to maintain to Toyota specs, but why this maintenance when car has 10000 km on it.   #SAD

I wish my parents had never "upgraded" their Toyota.
They could have got a nice used short range EV that would have suited their needs better than buying a new car that is not better than the old one for their needs.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 01:49:49 pm »
3.   Dealer gave them a bill for $400 for reconditioning brakes, shaved rotors, pads, the works.   My dad was upset and countered that the car is a lease and required to maintain to Toyota specs, but why this maintenance when car has 10000 km on it.   #SAD

Why did he authorize this work then?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2019, 02:01:56 pm »

Why did he authorize this work then?

To make Tesla's look even better...  :rofl:  :rofl2:

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2019, 02:10:30 pm »
A new Corolla is also far safer for your parents I'd imagine. Stronger body structure, double or triple the amount of air bags, etc