Author Topic: 37 new cars to avoid according to forbes  (Read 22768 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: 37 new cars to avoid according to forbes
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2019, 09:31:36 am »
LOL....I've owned one car in the list for 12 years with no reliability problems whatsoever (Outlander),  one for 3 years with no issues during the lease period (Focus) and one that I want for my next lease (Discovery Sport).

How did I survive without Forbes' wisdom? Must be a miracle!

My Mom had a Discovery Sport for four years, and didn't have too many problems with it.  Time spend at the dealership wasn't any more than any other car.  She liked it.

I say as long as you lease it and plan on returning it before the warranty is up, have fun.  It's a nice car.

Yeah I know your mom had one from your posts. My neighbor (who is a car guy too) has a 2015/16 bought new and he didn't have any major issues with it either (apart from some minor recalls). He does his own maintenance on his cars too so he knows a bit more about the mechanical bits too.

I would lease it at first and see what happens after, if I keep it or not.

The new one looks even better and a lot more appealing to me as it offers a unique combination in the premium segment with cloth seats and no sunroof which is ideal for me, plus all the convenience features I care about. I won't buy for another year at least so there is time to learn more about any major issues that may pop up and steer me away.

In general I'm not afraid of going against the grain and buy the car I really like and want. I want a car I enjoy not an appliance.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2019, 10:22:15 am »
These lists are ridiculous and unpublishable. Click bait trash!

No one should be paying attention to this :censor:.

Forbes is to cars what The History Network is to history........
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2019, 10:42:27 am »
These lists are ridiculous and unpublishable. Click bait trash!

No one should be paying attention to this :censor:.

Forbes is to cars what The History Network is to history........
Although I did recognize a couple of the writers from automotive articles I've read there...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2019, 02:58:08 pm »
christ.. I'm selling 2020's right now (mostly 19's, but 20's are starting)... so how is a 2016 dart a new car?

I'm not reading that article, so thanks for at least posting all the cars.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2019, 09:23:46 am »

05. Jeep Wrangler JK
13. Jeep Wrangler/Wrangler Unlimited

Huh? Aren't these the same. Either way this is a strange list...
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline wolfee297

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2019, 01:00:55 pm »
As long as you do a proper engine break in of your car and take good care of it (not going past 3000 rpm when the engine is cold, following maintenance, etc) your vehicle will run good. I’ve owned all sorts of different vehicle brands and the only car that was problematic for me was the Subaru STI and that was because I had bought it used and modified to around 400hp. Obviously a Chrysler product is not gonna be as reliable as a Toyota, but it should still last you atleast 5 years if you take care of it.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2019, 02:45:41 pm »
As long as you do a proper engine break in of your car and take good care of it (not going past 3000 rpm when the engine is cold, following maintenance, etc) your vehicle will run good. I’ve owned all sorts of different vehicle brands and the only car that was problematic for me was the Subaru STI and that was because I had bought it used and modified to around 400hp. Obviously a Chrysler product is not gonna be as reliable as a Toyota, but it should still last you atleast 5 years if you take care of it.
I see you've never owned a RX-8... ;D
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 02:46:31 pm »
Railton

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2019, 04:47:45 pm »
By-the-book break-in, and regular servicing certainly resolved the window regulator and coil pack issues on VWs.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline wolfee297

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2019, 01:07:57 pm »
By-the-book break-in, and regular servicing certainly resolved the window regulator and coil pack issues on VWs.  ;D
Yeah I forgot about all the electronic components that can fail on a car. I was only talking in terms of the mechanical aspects.

ltruong

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2019, 03:37:37 pm »
Or the door locks failing issue......... Since 1983

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2019, 04:44:27 pm »

Soooooo, that's like 5 min in diaper years  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2019, 09:01:15 pm »

05. Jeep Wrangler JK
13. Jeep Wrangler/Wrangler Unlimited

Huh? Aren't these the same. Either way this is a strange list...

Previous model year.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2019, 02:34:23 pm »
Does Toyota own Forbes?

No, they just build really good vehicles.

In terms of reliability, yes.

In terms of driving engagement, no. I always joke that they are actually so boring, they can't even build sports cars without the help from others.

Will never buy one unless they stop feeling like toasters, or if I just need a beater.

Railton

If you really want to talk about RX-8...

A lot of people are aware of the engine fail rate, especially the earlier models. Here is the thing: there are some more knowledgeable RX-8 owners who suspect that the crappy ignition coils were the cause of the "engine failures."

A saying you will hear in the community is that "bad coils kill cat, bad cat kills engine." The early coils are notorious for not lasting more than 30~50k km and they will eventually start misfiring. Clueless dealers then just replace the engine without inspecting the coils and the cat. Doesn't help that Mazda had Caterpillar do the remans and they were really bad. It's much better nowadays since the remans are made in-house in Japan.

Oh, and half the people in North America don't know how to check engine oil level. Rotary engines burn engine oil as a part of their design. You can imagine how this will go.

TL; DR: if you are just dailying the car, replace the coils, inspect(or gut, if you can put up with the smell) the cat, check oil level often, add premix if you want, and forget about being stranded.

And check the engine compression with a rotary-specific compression test before buying any used examples.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 02:36:40 pm by UnknownJinX »

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2019, 03:12:03 pm »
Does Toyota own Forbes?

No, they just build really good vehicles.

In terms of reliability, yes.

In terms of driving engagement, no. I always joke that they are actually so boring, they can't even build sports cars without the help from others.

That's a myth now, most modern cars pretty much drive the same, there very little in difference. The KIA, Hyundai being the most bland and vague to drive. It is not like the old days.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2019, 08:05:55 am »
Yawn...Fusion Sport, 2011, so reliable everyone forgot it  existed before they even knew it did.  I'm here to remind everyone it is the most reliable car you will never own.   :sleep:

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2019, 08:40:43 am »
Yawn...Fusion Sport, 2011, so reliable everyone forgot it  existed before they even knew it did.  I'm here to remind everyone it is the most reliable car you will never own.   :sleep:

Ford Fusion quality went down with the 2011/12. The Fusion best year was 2010 for reliability.  ;)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2019, 09:14:07 am »
Bah!  You're just being a  >:D.  11's were exponentially better than the 10's.  Things didn't start to go down hill until last year.  Pfft...

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2019, 02:25:27 pm »
Bah!  You're just being a  >:D.  11's were exponentially better than the 10's.  Things didn't start to go down hill until last year.  Pfft...

Lol.  :P

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2019, 07:48:23 pm »

Reliability isn’t everything.  Fusions don’t appreciate like Envisions.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 07:53:59 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...