Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Kia Sorento, 2016-2018  (Read 1765 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Used Vehicle Review: Kia Sorento, 2016-2018
« on: July 23, 2019, 10:02:37 am »
Spacious hauler with few, minor, easily detectable issues.
Read more...

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Kia Sorento, 2016-2018
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 10:38:11 am »
I like the Sorento a lot. The electrical/battery issues are somewhat concerning, but the feature set really appeals, especially the overall Goldilocks "tweener" size, the 40-20-40 2nd row seats, and the extendable thigh support for the driver's seat, with those last two usually only found on fancier fare. (CX-5 does have 40-20-40, but it's smaller of course and no thigh extension)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 10:43:38 am »
we've had ours for 3 1/2 years now with no issues...equipped with X-Ice IIIs during the cold months, it's a beast in the winter...ours has the 2.0T engine and we quite like it...i have to bring it in for a software update though as there was a recall regarding some knock sensor software...i only use Top Tier Premium fuel (even though it runs on regular) so never really experience any knocking anyway...i figure the extra few $s per tank may prevent some issues over time, and it gets slightly better fuel economy with it anyway.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 10:47:00 am »
we've had ours for 3 1/2 years now with no issues...equipped with X-Ice IIIs during the cold months, it's a beast in the winter...ours has the 2.0T engine and we quite like it...i have to bring it in for a software update though as there was a recall regarding some knock sensor software...i only use Top Tier Premium fuel (even though it runs on regular) so never really experience any knocking anyway...i figure the extra few $s per tank may prevent some issues over time, and it gets slightly better fuel economy with it anyway.

^ Good to read this. Curious: did you consider going with the 3.3 V6 or is the 2.0t the one to have?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 10:57:38 am »

^ Good to read this. Curious: did you consider going with the 3.3 V6 or is the 2.0t the one to have?
i wasn't interested in the 2.0T initially, but was convinced by the salesrep to try it before springing for the V6 (it was about $2000 more, but also gave you 3rd row seating, which we don't need)...after testing it, we really liked it...they no longer offer the 2.0T engine on the new ones, but the V6 is no dog either, it's also a good engine...the base 2.4L is a dog though...if buying used, it might be best to find a V6...i take care of my stuff, so maybe someone else's 2.0T was fed cheap gas and not maintained as well...less of an issue with the V6 models.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 11:17:38 am »

i wasn't interested in the 2.0T initially, but was convinced by the salesrep to try it before springing for the V6 (it was about $2000 more, but also gave you 3rd row seating, which we don't need)...after testing it, we really liked it...they no longer offer the 2.0T engine on the new ones, but the V6 is no dog either, it's also a good engine...the base 2.4L is a dog though...if buying used, it might be best to find a V6...i take care of my stuff, so maybe someone else's 2.0T was fed cheap gas and not maintained as well...less of an issue with the V6 models.

That's good to know. Ya, the V6 does seem it may be the better/slightly safer used proposition. Thanks, appreciate the info!

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 11:43:45 am »
The wife's 2016 has the 2.0 AWD and we have not had any issues other than the front stabilizers went and were repaired under warranty.  The 2.0 is a bit of a dog as others have noted  and is thristy,  overall were very happy with this unit...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 05:38:20 pm »
The 2.0 is a bit of a dog as others have noted  and is thristy,  overall were very happy with this unit...
i think you mean the 2.4 is a bit of a dog?

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 06:03:39 pm »
Yep your right  :bang: :foil:

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 09:32:53 pm »
We had leased a 2017 Sorento EX V6 for 3 years before moving on to a Telluride.  Our Sorento was our first Korean vehicle, thus we decided to lease it in case it was unreliable.  During our time with the Sorento, we had no issues at all.  It started up at -30 degrees, was very reliable, had enough power, and it was a good fit for us at the time.  Only concern: terrible gas mileage in the city.

I would highly recommend the Sorento and Kia in general. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 10:56:38 pm »
We had leased a 2017 Sorento EX V6 for 3 years before moving on to a Telluride.  Our Sorento was our first Korean vehicle, thus we decided to lease it in case it was unreliable.  During our time with the Sorento, we had no issues at all.  It started up at -30 degrees, was very reliable, had enough power, and it was a good fit for us at the time.  Only concern: terrible gas mileage in the city.

I would highly recommend the Sorento and Kia in general.
yea, i would say the fuel economy isn't the greatest (it's not awful, just not a strong point), but considering most people buy pick up trucks as their cars now, it shouldn't be that big of a deal...as well, this new Telluride seems to get improved fuel economy, which is a positive.