Author Topic: 2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit Review  (Read 4515 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: 2019 Volkswagen GTI Rabbit Review
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2019, 04:18:46 pm »
Touch my radio while I'm driving, and you're walkin'.

Maybe that goes a long way towards explaining why you're not married anymore?

If my wife wants to change the music while I'm driving, there ain't a damn thing I can do about it...!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 04:25:23 pm »
Nobody :censor: with my radio when I'm driving without asking first [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 04:29:40 pm »
Touch my radio while I'm driving, and you're walkin'.

Maybe that goes a long way towards explaining why you're not married anymore?

If my wife wants to change the music while I'm driving, there ain't a damn thing I can do about it...!

That counts as one of my qualities!  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 04:34:26 pm »
My wife is not skinny, and she hated this car as a result.
uh oh...you're a brave man.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 04:35:01 pm »
I would have gone with a GTI, but the deal on the GLI was too good to pass on at the time.

I really love the plaid seats.
i like it too, and as you mentioned, the GLI is such a strong value, tough to say no to it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 04:37:24 pm »

Hallelujah!! As codriver you give me snacks and drinks

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 04:42:38 pm »

My wife is not skinny, and she hated this car as a result.
uh oh...you're a brave man.

Oh boy, I glossed over that part, ouch!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2019, 04:43:00 pm »

Hallelujah!! As codriver you give me snacks and drinks

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Exactly!!!!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2019, 04:58:13 pm »
Note to self, next time I ride with Gurgie I'm going to mess with the equalizer.

Love the GTI, probably more than the R.  Just wish it came in a wagon format because the regular golf is just too small for our needs.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2019, 07:59:38 pm »
You're right that the seats are not the car's fault, but it's the car manufacturer's fault when the only seats available are not suited to a variety of body types.

Really? How many manufacturers you can name that offer "comfort" seats in their sporty models? Si, Type-R, WRX/STI, ST/RS? Any other? I think they all offer "sport" seats in their sporty trims/models and that's appropriate. Sure more or less bolstering, but definitely significantly more aggressive than their regular seats. VW is no different and it would be a shame to be.

Why should only small people be comfortable in small cars?

I don't know, I think it's physics. A larger person takes up more volume from a given, smaller, volume available in a small car, leaving less free space and resulting in a cramped feeling. The size of the seats is also constraint by smaller volume in small cars.

As for volume controls accessible to a front passenger, Audi and Mazda put the volume control on the console. It's a good design. I wish it were more common.

I think this comes down to personal preference. I prefer all controls on the center stack rather than floor console. This way, you can use your peripheral vision to find them while still looking at the road rather than having to look down and take your eyes off the road. More so, for those frequently bringing drinks into the car is more likely to spill stuff on the switches which are harder to clean. I prefer a clutter free floor console. If anything, I would like the space to be used for small items storage.

Also, having literally just tested this car, I will respectfully disagree with you that the GTI's volume knob is close to the passenger. If you're tall and adjust the passenger seat far enough back to accommodate long legs, it's a long reach to the left side of the centre stack.

Having lived with a GTI for more than 3 years now as my daily driver, I prefer the driver oriented cockpit rather than passenger. Ultimately, everything should be ergonomic primarily for the driver (always in the car) rather than the passenger (occasional). You got me curious and I sat in the passenger seat (setup for me) and I can reach the volume knob with my back pressed against the seat back. If the passenger needs to reach the volume knob they can stretch a bit if need be. It's not like they have to pay attention to the road or anything. I honestly don't see the issue here but we can agree to disagree.

Yes, my wife's arse is larger than mine (she is not reading this forum so I'm safe to say it) and she doesn't particularly like the aggressively bolstered seats in teh GTI either, but who cares? It's not the car's fault (or VW) that she has a bigger arse that doesn't fit well between the bolsters. I for one, hate the flat seats in any car. I like my lateral support.

One other thing that caught my eye in the article.... "...The other is the artificial engine noise the GTI pumps through the speakers."

While I know there are cars which route simulated engine noise through the speakers, this is not the case with the GTI. The GTI has a physical electronic device ("sound actor") located under the plastic cover at the bottom of the windshield (on the outside) that, when activated by the Mode settings, it takes the engine noise and creates an enhanced simulated/synthetic engine noise inside the cabin. This device can be programmatically disabled/volume adjusted via OBD or physically removed from the car if so desired (relatively easy to do).  It can be also disabled or at least toned down using the Mode menu. Certainly, the enhanced engine noise is not played through the speakers.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:22:35 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2019, 10:26:41 pm »
"Don't make me tap the sign"

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2019, 10:35:55 pm »
Note to self, next time I ride with Gurgie I'm going to mess with the equalizer.

Love the GTI, probably more than the R.  Just wish it came in a wagon format because the regular golf is just too small for our needs.
HA!!!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2019, 09:29:11 am »

You're right that the seats are not the car's fault, but it's the car manufacturer's fault when the only seats available are not suited to a variety of body types. Like I say in the review, I'm skinny so I fit fine, and I loved how supportive the front seats are. My wife is not skinny, and she hated this car as a result. However, she would have liked it fine if, say, the seats in my test car were an option. Why should only small people be comfortable in small cars?

Agree completely.  If the seats by virtue of dimension and design effectively exclude a not insignificant segment of potential buyers, then that's not a smart move by the manufacturer.  A seat can offer good lateral support without being excessively narrow and confining.  Or as you say, make that narrow and confining seat an option and offer one which will more readily accommodate a greater pool of buyers as standard fare.  This is a sporty, practical hatchback after all - not some hyper-performance exotic street missile.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2019, 09:33:22 am »

You're right that the seats are not the car's fault, but it's the car manufacturer's fault when the only seats available are not suited to a variety of body types. Like I say in the review, I'm skinny so I fit fine, and I loved how supportive the front seats are. My wife is not skinny, and she hated this car as a result. However, she would have liked it fine if, say, the seats in my test car were an option. Why should only small people be comfortable in small cars?

Agree completely.  If the seats by virtue of dimension and design effectively exclude a not insignificant segment of potential buyers, then that's not a smart move by the manufacturer.  A seat can offer good lateral support without being excessively narrow and confining.  Or as you say, make that narrow and confining seat an option and offer one which will more readily accommodate a greater pool of buyers as standard fare.  This is a sporty, practical hatchback after all - not some hyper-performance exotic street missile.

I don't think that's the case for the GTI/R though. I've certainly never seen any other review complaining about that.