Author Topic: 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Preview: Mid-engined Sports Car to Start at $72k  (Read 10917 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
^^^I got flack for saying that anyone buying a GT86 with a slushbox doesn't deserve that car.

Or a Miata, or a Boxster, or 370Z, or a Camaro, or a Mustang......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
I love three pedal cars. Don’t want my DD SUV or whatever with one, but for a sporting machine, I love a manual trans.

That said the new dual clutch autos are pretty fun. Banging off lightning fast shifts has its own reward, and in a car like this Corvette or a McLaren or other super car, I’m sure I’d be pretty happy with one of those transmissions.

If the Vette offered a manual and I was buying one, I’d opt for the stick.  But I’d still buy a C8 and settle for the dual clutch auto.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
For me "it depends".

Prior to my IS-F, while I was shopping, I test drove a couple of CTS-V.  One with stick, one with auto.

I didn't enjoy one more than the other and actually though the auto suited the car better and it felt quicker.

In my IS-F, the shifts were hard..and that was kinda fun.  Not sure if it would have been any more enjoyable in a manual?

But on a less potent engine....yea, I'd prefer a stick.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
I’d never buy a sports car without a manual transmission. Hell, I’d never even buy a “sporty” or “fun” car without a manual transmission.

But this thing is a beast, and I’d never buy it unless I planned on taking it to the track, regularly. And for a track car, yeah I could live with the automatic.

And I’d be very surprised if there’s a late introduction manual gearbox coming. It’s not like they can just pull some unit off the shelf and stuff it in there. Any manual needs to configured for the mid-engine layout, and those aren’t exactly plentiful. GM would have had to have been working on something for a while, and if they had been, why keep it secret?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I’d never buy a sports car without a manual transmission. Hell, I’d never even buy a “sporty” or “fun” car without a manual transmission.

But this thing is a beast, and I’d never buy it unless I planned on taking it to the track, regularly. And for a track car, yeah I could live with the automatic.

And I’d be very surprised if there’s a late introduction manual gearbox coming. It’s not like they can just pull some unit off the shelf and stuff it in there. Any manual needs to configured for the mid-engine layout, and those aren’t exactly plentiful. GM would have had to have been working on something for a while, and if they had been, why keep it secret?

Because they've been talking about trying to sell the Vette to "different" groups.  And in my mind, I think they're going to follow the Porsche way...and save the manual for some "special" editions or something.

Who knows...but that's my guess.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
I could see a Z-06 or something with a stick.  I understand the take rate for "normal" Corvettes with manuals is pretty low.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I could see a Z-06 or something with a stick.  I understand the take rate for "normal" Corvettes with manuals is pretty low.

I thought it was like 20%?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

I heard about that, but it might include the Z-06, so the take rate for the standard Vette might be a bit under that.  I know that's higher than for most cars, but for a performance/sports car, it's low.  Miata and GT86?  Probably a lot higher.

And GM called it - no need to offer a manual to sell out the first year or two.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
I generally agree with the consensus here about manuals. I raise a glass to my fellow enthusiasts.

Save the manuals.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S

I heard about that, but it might include the Z-06, so the take rate for the standard Vette might be a bit under that.  I know that's higher than for most cars, but for a performance/sports car, it's low.  Miata and GT86?  Probably a lot higher.

And GM called it - no need to offer a manual to sell out the first year or two.

Having started my search looking for a used C7, I can attest to limiting it to manual makes it a much tougher option of finding what you want.  Although only a 20% take rate would account for that.  Part of me wanted to wait a little longer to purchase the new one and see if prices might drop lower, but I was too worried the manual options would be non existent.

I'd love to have a C8 at some point based on what we've seen, I just think I'd be bored with a dual clutch after the initial new car hype wore off.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
I'd love to have a C8 at some point based on what we've seen, I just think I'd be bored with a dual clutch after the initial new car hype wore off.
i like autos, but i wouldn't want a dual clutch.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12420
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
How much do they want for a loaded Zupr4 again?  :rofl2:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S

Roughly $65k so while the Corvette is certainly a better value there's zero price overlap here.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
495hp? Why not 500hp? The latter is so much more impressive for marketing purposes etc.

495hp bothers me. Might as well be 499hp.

What marketing reason was there to have 495hp? Emissions or tax dodging?
Since the LS3 C6, there was an option for a performance exhaust that adds 5 horses.

LS3 w/performance exhaust made 435 instead of 430, and LT1 w/performance exhaust made 460 instead of 455.

So C8 Z51 will likely have 500 BHP even. Now you can not have you OCD bother you.

Z51 has 495 hp and the base has 490 hp.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey

Roughly $65k so while the Corvette is certainly a better value there's zero price overlap here.

Hmmm.  Toyota web site says priced "from" $65k.  That sounds to me like a base price, not a fully loaded price.  But yes, my point was the 'Vette represents a better value.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5

Hmmm.  Toyota web site says priced "from" $65k.  That sounds to me like a base price, not a fully loaded price.  But yes, my point was the 'Vette represents a better value.

The Corvette has always been an excellent value proposition.  That hasn't changed.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

There's only one option, a $1300 premium package.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

And at present only one trim level.  "From" generally indicates starting point, not an ending point for price.  But hey - I'll depart this discussion of Supra pricing as you are very clearly missing the point.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
The Corvette makes almost all performance cars seem like they're overpriced. The C7 did this, but the C8 takes it to another level.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

And at present only one trim level.  "From" generally indicates starting point, not an ending point for price.  But hey - I'll depart this discussion of Supra pricing as you are very clearly missing the point.

Am I? You literally said your point was that the Corvette represents a better value, and I literally agreed that the Corvette is a better value. So what am I missing?

Edit: Looks like there's a couple extra cost colours for the Supra as well.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:56:06 am by OliverD »