Author Topic: 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Preview: Mid-engined Sports Car to Start at $72k  (Read 10928 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
I've seen some C5 Z-06s for pretty damned good prices considering the car you get. The interior is awful, just awful. It's all parts bin garbage. I'd actually be tempted to considerably mod the interior, moving towards a felt-style race interior.

Then upgrade the performance to your taste. That car is fast stock (mid 12s) and can be made a LOT faster very easily.

Put me in the camp that loves the notchback body.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Plus none of the pitfalls of all that glass cannon euro crap. This should be Honda Accord compared to the other "exotics".
i'm no expert on vettes by any means, but i haven't really heard much in the way of issues with them...i think they're pretty solid mechanically...if you're looking for a fun car, it's likely a pretty low maintenance bet.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Watched some videos from the press roll out. The C8 is stunning. Fantastic looking car. Even base performance looks to be super car like.

I think it will sell every one GM can out together.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
495hp? Why not 500hp? The latter is so much more impressive for marketing purposes etc.

495hp bothers me. Might as well be 499hp.

What marketing reason was there to have 495hp? Emissions or tax dodging?
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
NOBODY else finds that strange? I guess I really am that odd...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
NOBODY else finds that strange? I guess I really am that odd...
Yes, it's odd.

Maybe the same guy who decided to put Camaro tail lights on the car did this too?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I know the Acura has a ton more tech (hybrid, etc) the Corvette looks as good (I think better, but will wait to say for sure until I see one) and the value, OMG, the Acura's extra cost is heart-stopping.

Offline RoadRageous

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +16/-13
    • View Profile
Hard to argue against the GT4

V.
Eight.

470 lb-ft

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
Having a manual in those is worth a few extra points, too.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S

Yep, that's the kicker for me.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)

Of course it sucks that no manual transmission is offered (starting out at least), but to me any corvette is a 2nd or 3rd vehicles anyway.  So why not have a manual for your everyday/winter beater, like a Subaru WRX, Golf R, or Civic Type R.  Then the loss of the manual in your vette isn't such a big deal. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5

Of course it sucks that no manual transmission is offered (starting out at least), but to me any corvette is a 2nd or 3rd vehicles anyway.  So why not have a manual for your everyday/winter beater, like a Subaru WRX, Golf R, or Civic Type R.  Then the loss of the manual in your vette isn't such a big deal.

OR, you have an automatic in your daily driver which sees traffic and Timmies Runs and other daily slog type stuff, and then you have a manual in the weekend sportscar that you actually want to drive. 

That's the way I see it.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
495hp? Why not 500hp? The latter is so much more impressive for marketing purposes etc.

495hp bothers me. Might as well be 499hp.

What marketing reason was there to have 495hp? Emissions or tax dodging?
Since the LS3 C6, there was an option for a performance exhaust that adds 5 horses.

LS3 w/performance exhaust made 435 instead of 430, and LT1 w/performance exhaust made 460 instead of 455.

So C8 Z51 will likely have 500 BHP even. Now you can not have you OCD bother you.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 02:02:57 pm by UnknownJinX »

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.

I say maybe give the Corvette a manual in its Gran Sport trim, a la GT3 Touring, just to placate the hardcore drivers/collectors. Otherwise, and this may be blasphemy (also admitting i have almost zero experience with very fast cars), but this thing doesn't need a manual. It's a supercar now, ergo probably far too fast, grippy, and nimble for *most* civilian drivers to then have to worry about shifting their own gears. Save The Manuals, sure, but ‘Save’ them for the slower fun cars; Miatas, Boxsters, sportier Bimmers, etc. (Signed, Buzz Killington  ;))
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 02:37:37 pm by lebowski »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

I say maybe give the Corvette a manual in its Gran Sport trim, a la GT3 Touring, just to placate the hardcore drivers/collectors. Otherwise, and this may be blasphemy (also admitting i have almost zero experience with very fast cars), but this thing doesn't need a manual. It's a supercar now, ergo probably far too fast, grippy, and nimble for *most* civilian drivers to then have to worry about shifting their own gears. Save The Manuals, sure, but ‘Save’ them for the slower fun cars; Miatas, Boxsters, sportier Bimmers, etc. (Signed, Buzz Killington  ;))

I don't disagree with this statement.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
I say some crappy little DD that mainly going to spend its life in traffic on the daily grind is perfectly fine to be an auto. No way would I buy some fun, weekend car, that may go on the track or autocross, without three pedals. I can't do it.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
I say some crappy little DD that mainly going to spend its life in traffic on the daily grind is perfectly fine to be an auto. No way would I buy some fun, weekend car, that may go on the track or autocross, without three pedals. I can't do it.
but modern automatics are faster on the track, so if outright performance is what you are looking for, you'd want the auto (hence why they all use autos now).

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
but modern automatics are faster on the track, so if outright performance is what you are looking for, you'd want the auto (hence why they all use autos now).

I know, but putting a car into D isn't something I want in a car thats meant to be entertaining. I drove my buddies GT-R, it was utterly insane, like, out of this world, I want one, but it would only be for straight line things. For something I want to enjoy a winding road with, gimme a shifter. You can keep the slushboxes for the DDs.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
^^^I got flack for saying that anyone buying a GT86 with a slushbox doesn't deserve that car.