Author Topic: Mazda 3 vs Toyota Corolla  (Read 3956 times)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Mazda 3 vs Toyota Corolla
« on: July 15, 2019, 09:28:54 pm »
Looks like Mazda is losing its ways....for more, read the article:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyota/corolla/2020/2020-toyota-corolla-vs-2019-mazda3-comparison-test-review/

Conclusion:
After a hard-fought battle, we declared our winner: the 2020 Toyota Corolla. How? Competitors have caught up to Mazda's once class-leading compact car. The Mazda3 has a plush interior and better build quality than the Toyota Corolla, but a finicky infotainment system, clunky powertrain, unrefined chassis, inconsistent active driver assistance tech, and a cramped interior let it down. The 2020 Toyota Corolla's fuel efficiency advantage, superior ride and handling balance, additional interior space, and a simpler multimedia interface make it the better all-around compact sedan. Extra power and a snazzy interior are nice, but they're not worth it if the rest of the vehicle doesn't deliver. Frankly, we'll take tire noise over a choppy ride and muted handling. Mazda, the most unlikely of rivals has put you on notice.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Re: Mazda 3 vs Toyota Corolla
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 12:09:37 am »
Mazda has better build quality than Toyota? Wow, Toyota must really be slipping or Mazda has really stepped up their quality game. Interesting read.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 12:16:24 am »
Mazda has better build quality than Toyota? Wow, Toyota must really be slipping or Mazda has really stepped up their quality game. Interesting read.

They probably mean interior quality, one area where Mazda does very well.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 12:20:19 am »

They probably mean interior quality, one area where Mazda does very well.

Yea, the interior on the Mazda went upscale a bit with this version.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 01:06:28 am »
The latest Corolla is incredible value. It’s the most bang for your buck in the compact segment and perhaps of all cars sold. So many features for the price along with outstanding fuel economy and longevity.

$25K for the Hybrid is a ridiculous amount of car for the money.

Offline superukr

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +17/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 07:56:51 am »
30k USD rolla?! no thanks

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 08:03:55 am »

All of the Mazdas I've owned had great build quality.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 08:11:13 am »
I knew a couple of people that had first gen 3s (everyone seemed to have them) They rusted early and badly.

Not sure if that counts as build quality...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 08:22:06 am »
I knew a couple of people that had first gen 3s (everyone seemed to have them) They rusted early and badly.

The propensity to rust seemed random. I had one 2006 Mazda 6 that was perfect and another one that wasn't. Our 2007 Mazda 3 had zero rust when we got rid of it a few years ago.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12403
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 08:37:09 am »

Also handles better than the Mazda?  Double wow.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 08:38:01 am »

Good thing you're not shopping in US $ then.  $28,490 Cdn - no options added...or to add it seems.  Just here it is, this is what you get pricing.

I went through the Toyota dealer in Wpg on Saturday, oh look!  5 or 6 Corolla hatches!  Auto...auto...auto... :-\ :( oh great...my favorite colour...that cool blue...and  :o :o :o it's a stick!!  If I had the time...I so badly wanted to go inside and just see if I could kill 30 minutes for a test drive.  To me it's just such a good looking car, but what would I replace, the good car or the little car...alas...time wasn't on my side.  But it was exciting that someone actually had a manual trans car on the lot.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 09:16:37 am »

Both of my Mazda's were kinda meh on the quality front.  The P5 was better than the 5 though.  Both suffered from frequent suspension noises, mostly endlinks that seemed to last 80k.  Both rusted out long before they should have.

Also handles better than the Mazda?  Double wow.

I read that initially but, they aren't actually saying it handles better.  They are saying it has a "superior ride and handling balance" which to my ears meant the Corolla was softer while still offering good handling.  I would be very surprised if the Corolla actually handles better than the Mazda.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 09:49:24 am »
Honestly the handling on all the FWD compact cars is meh. If you’re buying one for spirited driving then I hope you’re keeping your expectations low. They all plow their front ends when pushed hard and all of them are set to keep marginal drivers as safe as possible.

The differences between brands and models are not really significant. 99.99% of buyers in this segment want a durable appliance.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 09:52:24 am »
I wonder if the IRS in the Corolla vs Torsion in the Mazda 3 has something to do with it?

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 11:25:11 am »
I did test drove a new Corolla Hatch with the manual transmission. The biggest issue for me was the infotainment system, it is just so bad and takes away a lot of personal space and made me feel cramped and claustrophobic in the driver seat, it is just to big and too close to the driver. The drive was not bad but did not like that it did not have any kinda a punch when you accelerated and kept the revs high, I would say not as good acceleration as my Mazda 3. The clutch was nice and easy and kinda liked the rev matching. NVH is on par with my Mazda 3. On the outside it looks very good but in the inside they just did not make an effort. The seats were very nice and huggy, like them a lot. I think this is the nicest Corolla yet, especially in the blue.
If they would re position the infotainment and would clean up the interior this would make it better.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12403
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 11:31:59 am »
I read that initially but, they aren't actually saying it handles better.  They are saying it has a "superior ride and handling balance" which to my ears meant the Corolla was softer while still offering good handling.  I would be very surprised if the Corolla actually handles better than the Mazda.

They kind of are saying the Corolla handles better.

1) Corolla absorbs bumps well and doesn't get upset by road imperfections, whereas "the Mazda3's suspension crashes violently, sending a nasty jolt into the cabin and causing a loud bang upon contact." And also the Mazda "felt like the rear end was dancing a bit on the twisty roads whenever I ran into a small bump."
2) More body roll in the Mazda
3) Better "body control" in the Mazda, but....
4) The Corolla " takes corners confidently and has good high-speed stability."  Whereas the Mazda " behaves like a comfort-oriented sedan; it understeers excessively, plows into corners when you ask it to hustle, and lacks the liveliness of its predecessors."
5) And when it comes to stopping... "the Mazda3's brakes didn't inspire confidence. "The pedal feel is so off that I almost had an 'oh s***' moment while trying to brake downhill,"

If that isn't a solid net dynamic win for the Corolla then I am seriously misreading the article.  Maybe you should read it out loud.  ;D

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 12:24:16 pm »
Or actually read the article.....

EDIT: Just read it.  This comment kinda gave me pause.

Light and balanced steering makes maneuvering the Corolla through tight spaces a cinch. In comparison, the Mazda3's steering is stiff and accurate, which is great on the highway but tiresome in gridlock.

Seems like an overall bias towards the Corolla.  Regardless, it does sound like the Mazda has lost some of what made it special.

Then again, Car & Driver has this to say about the 3.
We've praised the new Mazda 3 for retaining the fun-to-drive nature of the out-going model, with tight body control, natural-feeling steering, and a firm ride that manages to not punish occupants over rough roads.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:23:02 pm by tortoise »

Offline superukr

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +17/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 07:59:02 am »

Good thing you're not shopping in US $ then.  $28,490 Cdn - no options added...or to add it seems.  Just here it is, this is what you get pricing.

I went through the Toyota dealer in Wpg on Saturday, oh look!  5 or 6 Corolla hatches!  Auto...auto...auto... :-\ :( oh great...my favorite colour...that cool blue...and  :o :o :o it's a stick!!  If I had the time...I so badly wanted to go inside and just see if I could kill 30 minutes for a test drive.  To me it's just such a good looking car, but what would I replace, the good car or the little car...alas...time wasn't on my side.  But it was exciting that someone actually had a manual trans car on the lot.
I never had problems finding Mazda3 stick hatch

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 08:18:30 am »
Winnipeg doesn't seem like a high manual take market.  Not often you'll find one with a manual.  A while back I looked at all the other Toyota dealers in Wpg (online) and no one had a manual Corolla.  Could be 20 cars or more at one dealer, all autos.  'tis why my excitement level rose (?) when I saw it, and in the cool blue too.  I wonder how many manuals the Mazda dealers would have on hand.  Probably 1 Miata...and even that might be a hit or miss proposition.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 08:21:26 am »
Winnipeg doesn't seem like a high manual take market.  Not often you'll find one with a manual.  A while back I looked at all the other Toyota dealers in Wpg (online) and no one had a manual Corolla.  Could be 20 cars or more at one dealer, all autos.  'tis why my excitement level rose (?) when I saw it, and in the cool blue too.  I wonder how many manuals the Mazda dealers would have on hand.  Probably 1 Miata...and even that might be a hit or miss proposition.

I think more people drive manual Mazda 3's than manual Corolla's.  I could be wrong, but that's my perception.

I believe that in the recent past, Mazda 3's were driven by people who, if they weren't enthusiasts, at least enjoyed driving a little more than your average bear.  This would explain the relatively take rate of manuals in the 3.  The Corolla, on the other hand, just seems like an appliance meant for people who view driving as something to be endured.

This is why I think it's a mistake for Mazda to go the appliance route, and sacrifice the car's overall handling performance just so they can focus more money on the infotainment and other interior features.  I think Mazda should have left that stuff to Hyundai/Kia/Toyota, and kept a little Zoom Zoom in their compact car.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:24:43 am by Great_Big_Abyss »