Author Topic: Lexus EXPERIENCE AMAZING Drive Event  (Read 1690 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Lexus EXPERIENCE AMAZING Drive Event
« on: June 30, 2019, 03:59:37 am »
This is the second time we've been invited to this particular event in Cleveland. As the crow flies, it's probably less than 100km from my house, but since we drive and need to go around the Lake, it takes about 3.5 hours. The first time we went, I won the Auto-X portion. The prize was a hot lap with a pro driver in an LF-A which I gave to IQ. You can see that here:

https://youtu.be/ljuInS2a-2s

The Trip

Not much to report, really. The IS-F performs fine. The comfort is nowhere near an LS for example since the suspension is definitely on the (quite) sporty side and Michigan roads are terrible. So you feel most large imperfections that otherwise wouldn't be felt in the larger more compliant LS. Fuel mileage was 8.0L/100km at a steady 120km/h (you do NOT speed in Ohio). I saw an interesting plate on a 1LE like Vman's!

The Stay and City

We stayed at Aloft Cleveland about 10 minutes from the airport and 20 minutes from downtown. It's a decidedly modern hotel. Rooms were clean and nice...with an included bean bag which I've never seen in a hotel before. Cleveland is an interesting city. There are canals throughout with a dozen canal crossings with lifts. Instead of a draw bridge, the whole roadway raises like an elevator. It's cool to see and we got stopped twice at these. They look very industrial and old and must have been a marvel when first built. To kill some time, we went to the Cleveland Aquarium. There was a petting pool area for rays. And the shark area was the main attraction.

The Event

I must say, the event is done perfectly and they've got it down to a fine science. Even though they've got another group 20 minute behind you, you never feel rushed. The whole event took maybe 1.5 hours..maybe more. Tents were impeccably clean with refreshments and all the Kind snack bars you could handle. I'd never had one before..they are delicious! Even the bathroom facilities were a luxury trailer. Everything was top notch as you'd expect.

The first event was the road test, which was about 30 minutes or so. The cars were the LS500 and new ES. The LS is impeccably built, beautiful and impressive. But I didn't gel with it due to lack of V8. And that's sad because the car was incredible to drive, but the V6 didn't have the "ripping silk" sound of a Lexus V8. The 24" wide, full color HUD is as impressive as it sounds. Totally unobtrusive, but totally there and useful if you need it. It not only displays the typical stuff, but also road signs (speed limit signs) and it knew the difference between stop signs and traffic lights. The stop signs were in color, too. The most impressive trick was the Front Cross Traffic alert..a world first in a HUD. At a stop, it told you  which side traffic was approaching from. So at a T intersection for example you'd see it display to the left with bright orange animated arrows..and sure enough a car would be coming from that way. If you tried to proceed, an alarm would sound warning you. It also works similarly when backing out of a parking spot. It's very impressive.

After about half way, we stopped and switched cars. IQ got behind the wheel of the ES. She remarked (and I agreed) the car felt like a 3/4 sized LS. It's shockingly quiet and the interior materials are at a new level for the ES. It's a beautiful and fantastic car. I was really impressed.

Next up was the Auto-X. IQ chose the white LC. The track was a bit over 1/2 mile. They encouraged aggressive (but safe) driving. They even had a camera in the car that would snap 99 pictures of yourself while driving. Not much to add to the LC. Incredible car. Sounds amazing. Interior amazing. You can hoon in this thing! It's stunning all around. After IQ finished, I went back out and drove. Unfortunately, nothing was timed today...but the guys said I was easily the quickest of the day. I wish maybe I'd driven slower to have more time in the car..but I enjoyed hearing the engine wail and the tires squealing! Handling was great for what this cars real mission is. I want one!

Next up was the Technology course where certain cars technology were highlighted.  Of interest was the automatic REAR braking. They made you put the car in reverse and NOT touch the brake while the car rolled (with or without throttle) towards a barrier behind you. I have to tell you...even though I knew the car would stop, I had to REALLY control myself from braking and let the car stop itself. It's an odd sensation going in reverse and NOT covering the brake pedal and just letting it do its thing. Sure enough, the car jammed on the brake every time and never got the rear barrier. It holds the brake for 3 seconds after the stop.

Next up was the agility test and was our surprise vehicle of the day..the UX. They had a REALLY tight course set up. With really tight 90 degree turns and whatnot to show the agility and maneuverability of the UX. This is the car that most surprised both of us. This is a fantastic little hatch! It's got the tightest turning radius in class according to them. And I had no reason to doubt it. On one section they had a circle set up between 4 parking spaces. And the car could do a complete full radius turn within 4 spots. It was impressive! We LOVED this little car! It was stylish, nice on the interior, agile, enough power, awd, and outstanding economy. It's quite a complete package for someone wanting a small run about! It was our biggest surprise of the day. We expected little as came out impressed. We were smiling the whole time we drove it.

After that, there were static displays, more refreshments, etc.

That's about it...if you have questions about the event or my crappy photos, ask away!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 04:20:26 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12386
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Lexus EXPERIENCE AMAZING Drive Event
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 05:21:51 am »
Awesome pics, vid and review!  I could listen to the LF A all day!
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 06:17:39 am »
Great write up.

Did they talk about the next IS or GS? Release dates?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 06:18:42 am »
Awesome pics, vid and review!  I could listen to the LF A all day!
IKR?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12386
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 06:22:39 am »
Great write up.

Next GS? Don't hold your breath.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 06:27:17 am »
Great write up.

They were tight lipped...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 09:13:55 am »
Boss!
Thanks for sharing Ron.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 04:54:08 pm »
So you get invited to this when you buy a new Lexus?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 05:23:51 pm »
So you get invited to this when you buy a new Lexus?
If that was the case Ron would never get invited   ;D

Probably from taking it to a dealer for servicing

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 05:28:21 pm »
Cool event! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 07:40:45 am »
Looks like a great experience.... I get invites to Audi days at Mossport but have never attended, just might next trip as this looks like fun