Author Topic: First Drive: 2020 Hyundai Palisade  (Read 2778 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
First Drive: 2020 Hyundai Palisade
« on: June 26, 2019, 10:23:30 am »
Big on practicality, value, and quality of life.
Read more...

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, 2015 Kia Rondo EX Luxury
Re: First Drive: 2020 Hyundai Palisade
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 10:46:13 am »
Better than the Telluride ?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 10:49:45 am »
Reviews have been very good so far.  It offers a few features that the Telluride does not, but I still think that choice will come down more to styling preference than anything else - but these two are tops in the segment for me.  Can't see myself choosing Atlas or Pilot over either of these.  And I think the Palisade's excellent interior would overcome my slight preference for the Telluride's exterior and win my dollars.  Were I shopping for a large crossover - which seems unlikely now, or ever.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 11:23:34 am »
Reviews have been very good so far.  It offers a few features that the Telluride does not, but I still think that choice will come down more to styling preference than anything else - but these two are tops in the segment for me.  Can't see myself choosing Atlas or Pilot over either of these.  And I think the Palisade's excellent interior would overcome my slight preference for the Telluride's exterior and win my dollars.  Were I shopping for a large crossover - which seems unlikely now, or ever.

Looks , features are one thing , but until you get ass time it hard to say what you will will buy

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 12:03:07 pm »

Looks , features are one thing , but until you get ass time it hard to say what you will will buy

Well for an actual purchase - sure.  But as I said, I am not in the market for this type of vehicle and don't ever expect to be. I know I am no fan of the looks of the Atlas and I've seen plenty of them in person - so that is ruled out.  I would at least try the Pilot, but it is so generic-SUV in its appearance and nothing in the reviews suggests anything notable about its driving dynamics.  From the standpoint of a hypothetical purchase, I'm fairly sure it would come down to Telluride vs Palisade for me in this class. 

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 12:18:31 pm »

Well for an actual purchase - sure.  But as I said, I am not in the market for this type of vehicle and don't ever expect to be. I know I am no fan of the looks of the Atlas and I've seen plenty of them in person - so that is ruled out.  I would at least try the Pilot, but it is so generic-SUV in its appearance and nothing in the reviews suggests anything notable about its driving dynamics.  From the standpoint of a hypothetical purchase, I'm fairly sure it would come down to Telluride vs Palisade for me in this class.

I'll save you the effort of looking, the Pilot has no driving dynamics.   :rofl2:

I look at the Telluride and Palisade and wonder how well they would withstand the abuses of a young family.  I'm also not convinced how well they will hold up over the long haul, whereas a Pilot or Highlander I'm pretty confident it will last for as long as you look after it.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 12:32:54 pm »
For me it would be between the Palisade and the new Explorer right now.  Interior looks much nicer in the Hyundai but the Ford blows the Hyundai out of the water with the powertrain options and likely driving dynamics being a RWD platform.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 01:00:34 pm »

I'll save you the effort of looking, the Pilot has no driving dynamics.   :rofl2:

I look at the Telluride and Palisade and wonder how well they would withstand the abuses of a young family.  I'm also not convinced how well they will hold up over the long haul, whereas a Pilot or Highlander I'm pretty confident it will last for as long as you look after it.

I don`t follow the bolded bit - what abuses are you concerned about and what aspects of these two vehicles give you doubt?  I can't really see any vehicle in this class struggling with the challenges of kids being kids.  So long as you are smart and forego a very light / pale interior shade.

I've owned a bunch of Hondas and two recent Hyundais.  All have been very good.  And while JD Power rankings aren't the be all and end all, they're not meaningless, either.  And Genesis, Kia and Hyundai just swept the podium.  I wouldn't let reliability uncertainty stop me - but yeah - I get the generalized concern over first year production of an all-new model.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 01:23:49 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't very clear.  The interior of the Palisade looks like a very nice place to be....but it just doesn't look durable to me.  Loading up the vehicle for a road trip, spilling things, carrying a full load of kids and family....just wonder if it will look worn out after 80,000km.  Almost like since I know I'll be hard on something, I almost don't want to buy anything too nice.   ;D

No question the Pilot/Highlander are falling behind in terms of amenities and finishes...the Palisade looks like something with a $100,000 price tag.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 04:34:12 pm »
It could’ve almost carried a Genesis badge. Oh Genesis badly needs a few SUVs, and a better sales network.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 04:38:22 pm »
It could’ve almost carried a Genesis badge. Oh Genesis badly needs a few SUVs, and a better sales network.
+1
Couldn't agree more on all 3 point counts. I would be quite happy to see a Palisade and a compact Genesis SUV/CUV in my garage. Ain't gonna happen, unfortunately.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 05:42:13 pm »
Sorry, I wasn't very clear.  The interior of the Palisade looks like a very nice place to be....but it just doesn't look durable to me.  Loading up the vehicle for a road trip, spilling things, carrying a full load of kids and family....just wonder if it will look worn out after 80,000km.  Almost like since I know I'll be hard on something, I almost don't want to buy anything too nice.   ;D

No question the Pilot/Highlander are falling behind in terms of amenities and finishes...the Palisade looks like something with a $100,000 price tag.

Okay I got you now. But remember we are being shown the most posh model. I'm sure the base model is more utilitarian inside. Though I have to say I went through the small kid phase with leather seats in every car and found it much preferable to cloth in terms of cleaning and upkeep.

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 10:45:45 pm »
Palisade is much nicer on the interior than many cars.  I love its interior and especially the configurable dashboard screen!

Interesting to note is that the Palisade does not have power-folding mirrors.

Also note that the finance rates for Hyundais are much higher than they were for Telluride, so the actual total cost is quite a bit higher for a Palisade.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 07:04:37 pm »
July 6 - good side by side comparison on the Palisade and Telluride - US specs so Canadian models could differ in some cases

https://youtu.be/OGaP7PpmZec

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 11:14:35 am »
Palisade is much nicer on the interior than many cars.  I love its interior and especially the configurable dashboard screen!

Also note that the finance rates for Hyundais are much higher than they were for Telluride, so the actual total cost is quite a bit higher for a Palisade.

... for now, because they're just starting to show up at dealerships, but we all know how those change monthly.  For leasing, the Palisade has a higher residual than the Telluride. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 12:50:31 pm »

... for now, because they're just starting to show up at dealerships, but we all know how those change monthly.  For leasing, the Palisade has a higher residual than the Telluride.
Tellurides are hard to find...the dealer i go to has none and sends their customers next door where the lot is full of Palisades (the Kia and Hyundai dealerships are owned by the same person).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.