Author Topic: Test Drive: 2019 Honda Passport Touring  (Read 3444 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« on: June 21, 2019, 06:49:06 am »
Honda’s latest utility vehicle offers numerous handy touches.
Read more...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Test Drive: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 07:25:25 am »
In a time where manufacturers are trying to build CUVs because people supposedly or apparently (depending on who you ask) don’t want cars anymore but rather prettied up car like SUVs, it’s nice to see a more rugged looking unit come out. Will it pay off for Honda? Because lots of people on Facebook actually complained that the new RAV4 looks rugged and they want to get the pretty previous gen before it’s gone.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 08:54:28 am »
Because lots of people on Facebook actually complained that the new RAV4 looks rugged and they want to get the pretty previous gen before it’s gone.

My co-worker is one of those people.  She wants to replace her 11 year old Escape, so I convinced her a Rav4 would be a good idea.  Except she doesn't like the new ones - mostly the interior.  She doesn't like the way the center stack closes in around the driver.  She much prefers the openness of the previous gen.

I told her months ago that she'd better make her move if she's serious about a previous gen Rav4, because they won't last forever, and she only likes to buy new, not used.  So far she hasn't listened to me. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 10:33:40 am »
Because lots of people on Facebook actually complained that the new RAV4 looks rugged and they want to get the pretty previous gen before it’s gone.

My co-worker is one of those people.  She wants to replace her 11 year old Escape, so I convinced her a Rav4 would be a good idea.  Except she doesn't like the new ones - mostly the interior.  She doesn't like the way the center stack closes in around the driver.  She much prefers the openness of the previous gen.

I told her months ago that she'd better make her move if she's serious about a previous gen Rav4, because they won't last forever, and she only likes to buy new, not used.  So far she hasn't listened to me.

I agree with her on these stupid massive front consoles that steal space and make everything claustrophobic.  Despite  the "off road" pretensions look no further than the dumb rubber band tires, that can't help the rough ride quality on poor roads. Want to bet they were aired to 40 psi too?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 10:38:23 am »

I agree with her on these stupid massive front consoles that steal space and make everything claustrophobic.  Despite  the "off road" pretensions look no further than the dumb rubber band tires, that can't help the rough ride quality on poor roads. Want to bet they were aired to 40 psi too?

I can get you even more fired up... ahem...

ADV motorcycles are good for offroading. :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 10:46:40 am »
In a time where manufacturers are trying to build CUVs because people supposedly or apparently (depending on who you ask) don’t want cars anymore but rather prettied up car like SUVs, it’s nice to see a more rugged looking unit come out. Will it pay off for Honda? Because lots of people on Facebook actually complained that the new RAV4 looks rugged and they want to get the pretty previous gen before it’s gone.

The Rav4 looks "rugged"??

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 10:51:46 am »

The Rav4 looks "rugged"??

Ha you didn't even quote me out of context. ;D I guess if Beaumont can call themselves a "city", the RAV4 can be classified as "rugged".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 10:53:04 am »
Are these the types that find it looks so rugged??

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 01:05:11 pm »
Gluten free organic* ethically sourced* vegan* Beyond(tm) tacos.

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 10:16:01 am »

"...The Blazer is the family vehicle that actually appeals to the whole family, and for that reason it upsets the Honda(Passport)on its home court." 

I think the Motor Trend staff was weeping when they wrote that!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 06:02:00 pm »

"...The Blazer is the family vehicle that actually appeals to the whole family, and for that reason it upsets the Honda(Passport)on its home court."

Interesting.

Car and Driver placed the Honda Passport at number 1 in a comparison test with the Blazer, Santa Fe, Murano and Edge.  In fact, they ranked the Santa Fe ahead of the Blazer.  Who knew?

Norm knew. But he wouldn't be cherry picking any quotes from that comparison. Because Norm.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 06:10:16 pm »

Interesting.

Car and Driver placed the Honda Passport at number 1 in a comparison test with the Blazer, Santa Fe, Murano and Edge.  In fact, they ranked the Santa Fe ahead of the Blazer.  Who knew?

Norm knew. But he wouldn't be cherry picking any quotes from that comparison. Because Norm.
Do they also appreciate like Buicks?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 06:24:26 pm »

Interesting.

Do they also appreciate like Buicks?

I think it only reasonable to assume that the magical properties possessed by one GM product would be possessed by others.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 06:41:52 pm »

Interesting.

MT reviews tend to be very neutral...so I abandoned them, you rarely get an honest review like C&D, Autoblog and Japolinik deliver...it’s all fluff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 06:48:19 pm »
MT reviews tend to be very neutral...so I abandoned them, you rarely get an honest review like C&D, Autoblog and Japolinik deliver...it’s all fluff.

But nobody gives a more honest review than NormT....NOBODY!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 10:04:57 pm »

A paragon of intelligence and objectivity.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 10:12:10 pm »

The Blazer will FOR SURE appreciate in value since unbiased MotorTrend was the only one to give it a positive review!!! Love it...great investment

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 10:50:33 pm »

The Blazer will FOR SURE appreciate in value since unbiased MotorTrend was the only one to give it a positive review!!! Love it...great investment

Buy as many as you can. Retire young.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2019, 10:42:49 am »
Oh its a Blazer. I thought it was some type of Toyota.  ;D Damn styling has gotten fussy, angry origami with angry grills and slit eyes....., hopefully the pendulum swings soon. The clean lines of an older LX470 or a 1st get Audi Q7, 2nd gen 4runner, my beloved LR3.  I miss them all.