Author Topic: Should You Buy a Demo Car?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Should You Buy a Demo Car?
« on: June 20, 2019, 07:59:32 am »
Considering a demo car? Here’s what you need to know.
Read more...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Should You Buy a Demo Car?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 08:44:12 am »
So, my Mom's 2009 Pathfinder was a demo.  It had a few thousand kms on it (I think one of the managers had been driving it - it was a fully loaded LE), and she got a killer good deal.  The dealership did something with the warranty so that she still had the full factory warranty from the date she purchased it.  It was a fine vehicle, and she got a great deal on it. 

My truck was in the process of becoming a Test Drive mule.  They had it all stickered up, but I think it had only been on a few test drives.  It had 75kms when I bought it.  I still got a great deal on it, and they otherwise treated it as a new car.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 09:21:51 am »
A buddy of mine is a manager who drives dealer demos. Always talks about the pain of breaking it in the first 1600km. He pretty much drives it until someone wants to buy it.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 09:24:40 am »
If it's a proper demo I see no reason why manufacturer incentives wouldn't apply. This is what can make demos so appealing, especially if you're leasing.

My Clubman JCW was a demo. I picked it up with 4500 km on it. $11k off and an interest rate of 0.5% makes the payments extremely reasonable for what is a $50k car new.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 10:25:46 am »
Totally depends on the car, Camaro/Mustang/370Z/BRZ, hell naw, those things were whipped like a pit mule. Some bland, beige, nondescript CUV thing/minivan, yeah, give 'er.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 12:59:14 pm »
Totally depends on the car, Camaro/Mustang/370Z/BRZ, hell naw, those things were whipped like a pit mule. Some bland, beige, nondescript CUV thing/minivan, yeah, give 'er.
disagree, as someone who works in a shop - dealer demos get thrashed no matter what type of vehicle they are. One of our managers with an Equinox gets new brakes like oil changes he is so hard on the thing.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 06:59:59 pm »
that's an exception, not a rule, for sure... if a staff member of mine was doing that, they aren't a staff member long, or if I'm feeling nice, they are just switched to a car allowance and the demo option is no more.

demos are a tricky ground... some demos have no more kms than a "new" car. the kms don't matter so much as the ownership. if it was in a persons name with the licensing, it's used. if it was in the dealers name, it's a demo.

sometimes banks offer a special demo rate on financing, so you can get a slightly higher rate than new (or lower than used, depending on how you look at it). so that part is negated. many manufacturers still qualify the vehicle for the new programs, so in many cases, showing up like a regular new one on a bill of sale (with freight and all that) is perfectly normal. the end number is what matters. I have some demos that are 500 less than the exact same brand new car, and others that are 5k less... totally depends.

also, worth looking into is special demo warranties, or "top ups" that many brands offer. they aren't very expensive and give extra peace of mind... i usually hold that as my close on a demo purchase... i'll throw it in at my asking price to make the deal happen. in many cases, it makes the demo have more coverage than a brand new, and you still get the price break!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 07:07:00 pm »
So, by "demo" you mean "demonstrator" not "demolition."

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 07:18:23 pm »
 Nice low mileage Buick.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 07:24:59 pm »
The ones I'm wondering about are the press fleet vehicles that end up at auctions. I can't believe how scratched some SUV interiors are when I get them, and an i8 customer may not expect that the car was indeed used in snow storms in Montreal.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 07:21:01 am »
Nice low mileage Buick.
true story, that Buick is still worth $1800 more now than what it was when it was brand new. :P
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 09:14:33 am »
Nice low mileage Buick.
true story, that Buick is still worth $1800 more now than what it was when it was brand new. :P

Yes once they buff out those scratches it will certainly appreciate.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 09:21:28 am »
Nice low mileage Buick.

Yes once they buff out those scratches it will certainly appreciate.

No, it'll depreciate if it looks too good because people will mistaken it for a new one, and who wants to pay that much for a brand new Buick when they can buy a good used Buick instead?