Author Topic: First Drive: 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation 2.7T  (Read 4876 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
First Drive: 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation 2.7T
« on: June 17, 2019, 06:37:11 am »
Looks the business.
Read more...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation 2.7T
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 05:30:04 pm »
GM is struggling to sell these...Ram is now the 2nd best truck in the US and likely to keep that advantage...GM might need an emergency design and interior fix for 2020 or 2021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 05:34:23 pm »
GM is struggling to sell these...Ram is now the 2nd best truck in the US and likely to keep that advantage...GM might need an emergency design and interior fix for 2020 or 2021

So...we can't combine GMC Sierra and Silverado sales together? Same truck different exterior, combined they outsell Ram.

Also, this 2.7 is a useless option imo. Really, who wants a 4cyl full size truck? You can get a 2.7 TTV6 F150 that really trounces the GM 4cyl. Ram offers nothing as usual to compete with GM and Ford for mid grade engine offerings.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 07:15:49 pm »
So...we can't combine GMC Sierra and Silverado sales together? Same truck different exterior, combined they outsell Ram.

Also, this 2.7 is a useless option imo. Really, who wants a 4cyl full size truck? You can get a 2.7 TTV6 F150 that really trounces the GM 4cyl. Ram offers nothing as usual to compete with GM and Ford for mid grade engine offerings.

No you’re not because it wouldn’t support his arguments. He’s not lying, just not telling the whole truth.

I’d take the Pentastar over any of the turbo units though.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 08:11:43 pm »

No you’re not because it wouldn’t support his arguments. He’s not lying, just not telling the whole truth.

I think the Pentastar is a fine engine, but after having one in the van, I"m sure it would be a bit underpowered for a fullsize truck.

I really like the 2.7T in the Ford.  If you're using the truck more as a DD, and not towing a huge trailer, I think it's a fine choice.  I think it's one of the most fuel efficient engines in a half-ton (more or less) and you're not really sacrificing that much power.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 09:34:46 pm »
You’d think with that smaller engine there would be more room to work under the hood. From the pics it doesn’t look like it . There seems to be a lot of hate for this engine but it does make more power then the base engine it replaces.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 12:10:24 am »

I think the Pentastar is a fine engine, but after having one in the van, I"m sure it would be a bit underpowered for a fullsize truck.

I really like the 2.7 TTV6 in the Ford.  If you're using the truck more as a DD, and not towing a huge trailer, I think it's a fine choice.  I think it's one of the most fuel efficient engines in a half-ton (more or less) and you're not really sacrificing that much power.
the Pentastar is a solid engine, but i'd likely want something "more" for a full size truck...the 2.7 TTV6 in the F150 is a nice option, but so would the Hemi V8 in the RAM...there's likely a lot of people who would rather have a NA V8 vs a TT V6 (many in here say the same thing many times).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 07:46:48 am »
the Pentastar is a solid engine, but i'd likely want something "more" for a full size truck...the 2.7 TTV6 in the F150 is a nice option, but so would the Hemi V8 in the RAM...there's likely a lot of people who would rather have a NA V8 vs a TT V6 (many in here say the same thing many times).

Oh, I get it. After all, that's what I went with.  BUT, if fuel economy is a concern at all, then a V8 like the Hemi or the 5.7 in the Tundra isn't a great choice.  And that is where Ford's 2.7TT comes in.  Yes you have reduced towing capacity, but if you're okay with that, you can get significantly better fuel economy than with the V8's. 

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 08:38:20 am »

Doesn't change the fact that through May their sales are down 8% while the Ram has rapidly picked up market share in the last few years.

GM has always been on the conservative side with their truck redesigns and it's starting to really hurt them I think.

https://www.autonews.com/sales/gm-urges-patience-silverado-falls-no-3

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 01:53:59 pm »

Oh, I get it. After all, that's what I went with.  BUT, if fuel economy is a concern at all, then a V8 like the Hemi or the 5.7 in the Tundra isn't a great choice.  And that is where Ford's 2.7TT comes in.  Yes you have reduced towing capacity, but if you're okay with that, you can get significantly better fuel economy than with the V8's.
regarding fuel economy...that's a debatable topic...a 2.7L TTV6, with the cruise control on a 80 km/hr will consume less fuel than the 5.7L Hemi V8 in the same conditions...but i'd imagine the difference between them in real world, everyday urban driving is likely minimal...our Sorento with the 2.0T blown 4 is usually mid to high 12s during most urban driving, which is likely not far off from what a V6 would be in similar situations...plus, turbos are fun, with their low end torque rush, so driving them in boost is easy, enjoyable and negates most of your fuel economy savings.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 02:22:18 pm »

regarding fuel economy...that's a debatable topic...a 2.7L TTV6, with the cruise control on a 80 km/hr will consume less fuel than the 5.7L Hemi V8 in the same conditions...but i'd imagine the difference between them in real world, everyday urban driving is likely minimal...our Sorento with the 2.0T blown 4 is usually mid to high 12s during most urban driving, which is likely not far off from what a V6 would be in similar situations...plus, turbos are fun, with their low end torque rush, so driving them in boost is easy, enjoyable and negates most of your fuel economy savings.

Do we have any Ram V8 owners in the forum? It would interesting to see if they can get 13.8L/100km....I am pretty much getting a tiny bit better than EPA with my F150 3.5L but I’d bet the V8 drinks more gas in the city...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 02:24:24 pm »

Doesn't change the fact that through May their sales are down 8% while the Ram has rapidly picked up market share in the last few years.

GM has always been on the conservative side with their truck redesigns and it's starting to really hurt them I think.

It did...the amount of hate the new design and the low grade interior got was a clear sign of trouble for GM.

Ram was the biggest winner here though...since GM owners are slowly migrating to Ford/Ram.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 02:27:57 pm »
Anyways, I guess my point is, as a truck owner, I will take a V8 as a first choice, but if someone were to hold a gun to my head, and tell me to choose a more fuel efficient option, I would probably go for Ford's 2.7TT. 

GM's 2.7T 4-Cylinder would NEVER enter into the equation.  No THANK you.

And, when is Ford going to put the 2.7TT into the Ranger?  THAT would be a hoot!!!!

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation 2.7T
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 02:36:51 pm »
Anyways, I guess my point is, as a truck owner, I will take a V8 as a first choice, but if someone were to hold a gun to my head, and tell me to choose a more fuel efficient option, I would probably go for Ford's 2.7TT. 

And, when is Ford going to put the 2.7TT into the Ranger?  THAT would be a hoot!!!!

The V8 is dying a slow death though...in the F150 the V8 is now down to only 25% of the mix, with the 2.7 and 3.5 picking up 65% of sales.

I agree...that 4T engine should be in the Colorado ;-)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 02:44:40 pm »

Maybe they'll put it in when they sell a few . ;D

Online revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 02:55:26 pm »

It did...the amount of hate the new design and the low grade interior got was a clear sign of trouble for GM.

Ram was the biggest winner here though...since GM owners are slowly migrating to Ford/Ram.

Yet Sierra sales are up and Silverado down 3% for the year. Rollout was slow with only higher trims available at first, double cab, RST/Custom, Elevation, and regular cabs (reg cab which started arriving at dealers in May) inventories were slim.

I’m quite impressed with my dad in laws new Denali. A former Ram owner btw.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 10:55:56 pm »
Do we have any Ram V8 owners in the forum? It would interesting to see if they can get 13.8L/100km....I am pretty much getting a tiny bit better than EPA with my F150 3.5L but I’d bet the V8 drinks more gas in the city...
it's more about how you drive it...you'll need a certain amount of power to move the vehicle...if you're using 200 HP worth of power to drive in the city, you'll burn 200 HP worth of fuel...if you beat on it all the time in the 2.7L V6TT, it will likely use more fuel than someone driving the V8 RAM reasonably...the engine size, on it's own, has little to do with it...as i said, take both trucks, put the cruise on at 80 km/hr, on flat ground and compare them...in that example, the 2.7L V6TT, in the lighter F150, will use a bit less fuel...but take two regular people, and have them drive around town all day, my guess is, they won't be THAT far apart...sure, if you beat on the RAM V8, it will drink fuel too, but don't kid yourself about the V6...i could likely get my Sorento into the 14s relatively easy if i beat on it too...my wife didn't have a hard time hitting mid 13s with her lead foot when we used regular gas, and that engine is almost half the size of the 2.7L V6TT in a vehicle that likely weight a good 1000 lbs less too.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 11:01:56 pm »
On top of everything else...the 2.7 is slow:

https://youtu.be/4wJCw7jDikI

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 01:38:22 am »
My neighbour has a 2.7 F150, he was impressed right from the get go how good it was.  Took it back to Thunder Bay their first week owning it and he was in the 10's.  I should ask him if he's done any calculations now that it's a couple years old.

I find it odd that the 5.0 is rated to tow more.  All because of the horsepower I guess, yet they have the same torque peak, but the 2.7 has it 1000 rpm sooner.  I'm almost sure it's a load of horse shi#.

2019 Ford F-150: Capability
Engine                                                   Max. Towing Capacity*   Max. Payload Capacity*
2.7L EcoBoost® Twin-Turbocharged V6   9,000 lbs.                           2,470 lbs.
3.0L Power Stroke® Turbo Diesel V6           11,400 lbs.                   2,020 lbs.
5.0L Ti-VCT V8                                           11,600 lbs.                   3,270 lbs.
3.5L EcoBoost® Twin-Turbocharged V6   13,200 lbs.                   3,230 lbs.

I'd have posted a graph, but it's too hard to find a good one.  Pretty sure the 2.7 makes more torque everywhere else in the power band, and it's bloody damn fast.  If that wee little diesel can tow almost as much as the 5.0 with considerably less HP or torque... :P

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 07:10:55 am »
the 2.7L TTV6 in the F150 is a good engine...my coworker loves his, i think it's a great fit for a truck...but there are a lot of people who would rather have a NA V8 over a blown 4 or 6, especially in a truck.