Author Topic: Blizzak WS90  (Read 13719 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Blizzak WS90
« on: June 12, 2019, 12:23:33 am »
So, it's only June and I'm already shopping for new winter tires for the fall.  :shuffle:  :rofl2:

Just took off my WS80s, which I was more than happy with over the past five winters. Apparently, Bridgestone has just introduced the WS90s, which should perform better in the dry (Yay!) and should also last a little longer (meh, I don't drive it enough to care.) Winter performance should be at least as good, if not a little better.

Assuming the price is similar, and Costco has their usual fall sale, pretty sure these will be going on the GTI in the fall.

https://www.bridgestonetire.ca/tire/blizzak-ws90/

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a26038430/bridgestone-blizzak-ws90-tire-drive/

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Blizzak WS90
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 12:51:51 am »
Ohhhhh!  The ‘Rolla needs new winter booties. These are already at the top of the list.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 02:13:38 am »
"The Blizzak WS90 is shown to be a leader in control on ice± and deliver long-lasting performance for an extra winter season*.

*Assuming tires are only used in the winter season which is defined as approximately from mid-October to mid-April (6 months for very cold regions) and that an average user would go about 2 000 km per month, the Bridgestone Blizzak™ WS90 would last an extra winter season vs. the Bridgestone Blizzak™ WS80 tire."

So, how many seasons is that?

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 07:29:22 am »
So, it's only June and I'm already shopping for new winter tires for the fall.  :shuffle:  :rofl2:

Just took off my WS80s, which I was more than happy with over the past five winters. Apparently, Bridgestone has just introduced the WS90s, which should perform better in the dry (Yay!) and should also last a little longer (meh, I don't drive it enough to care.) Winter performance should be at least as good, if not a little better.

Assuming the price is similar, and Costco has their usual fall sale, pretty sure these will be going on the GTI in the fall.

https://www.bridgestonetire.ca/tire/blizzak-ws90/

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a26038430/bridgestone-blizzak-ws90-tire-drive/
Never too early to plan!  Interesting the tread pattern on those.  Looks like a fusion between the DM-V1 SUV/truck winter tires and the previous WS passenger car series.  We really really liked the DM-V1 on my wife's 1st Q5.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 07:41:07 am »
Not that I'm in the market anytime soon, having just purchased the DM-V2's for my truck last winter, but I wonder if they will follow suit with a new DM-V3?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 10:11:15 am »
i'll be in the market this fall too...i'll check these out as well.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 10:23:16 am »
"The Blizzak WS90 is shown to be a leader in control on ice± and deliver long-lasting performance for an extra winter season*.

*Assuming tires are only used in the winter season which is defined as approximately from mid-October to mid-April (6 months for very cold regions) and that an average user would go about 2 000 km per month, the Bridgestone Blizzak™ WS90 would last an extra winter season vs. the Bridgestone Blizzak™ WS80 tire."

So, how many seasons is that?

The DMV1s that have been on my Ridgeline since 2010 (9 winters) are finally ready for retirement. The edges are showing the transition from the multi cell compound to the regular winter compound. They are starting to show some cracking in the treads. It looks like I will end end skipping the whole DMV2 model and straight to the 3 for hopefully 9 more winters.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 10:27:40 am »
I'm surprised at how little the DMV2s on the highlander wore this winter. They're basically still at original tread depth. Bridgestone has really taken the lack of life complaints to heart, and are making longer lasting winter tires that still work great. And are priced barely above "budget" tires.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 10:36:58 am »
I'm surprised at how little the DMV2s on the highlander wore this winter. They're basically still at original tread depth. Bridgestone has really taken the lack of life complaints to heart, and are making longer lasting winter tires that still work great. And are priced barely above "budget" tires.
yea, my WS70s on my Rio5 are actually still in decent shape, but i'm only looking to replace them because i found their snow traction last year to be down a bit so i'm assuming they are now into their normal winter compound instead of their multi-cell compound.

i'll also take a look at the Ice Ice IIIs as we have those on our Sorento and they are quite good too (although, it is also AWD).

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 11:02:51 am »
My DM-V2s still look very brand new after one season I'll give it that. The X-Ice 3s also look brand new -- the rear tires still have the ribbing that are supposed to give the brand new tires extra traction.

On a side note, I have to laugh at people who claim their used winter tires have only been used for one season. One season in what, dry +25C pavement?

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 01:07:54 pm »
My DM-V2s still look very brand new after one season I'll give it that. The X-Ice 3s also look brand new -- the rear tires still have the ribbing that are supposed to give the brand new tires extra traction.

On a side note, I have to laugh at people who claim their used winter tires have only been used for one season. One season in what, dry +25C pavement?

Same, both my X-Ice 3's and my wife's Lattitude X-Ice 2's show next to no wear after 5 seasons and 3.5 seasons respectively. 
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 01:20:42 pm »
Maybe I was being a bit flippant with my comment about not caring about tire wear. Thinking about it some more, it might be a good thing.

I put 34,150 km on my WS80s over five seasons, and they're at just a hair less than 6/32" now. Bridgestone is a bit vague, but seems to be suggesting that the WS90s could go an extra 12,000 km over the WS80s. So that should be a comfortable six winters for me, by which time the GTI will be 16 years old. Might be the last set of winters I need before replacing it.

Same, both my X-Ice 3's and my wife's Lattitude X-Ice 2's show next to no wear after 5 seasons and 3.5 seasons respectively. 

No offence, but that's about as useful as the comment from the guy who said his truck only uses $40 worth of gas per month.

What is the measurement of tread depth and how many km driven in a season?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 01:34:24 pm »
The Corolla has about 40K on its WS-80s and they’re at 5/32.

That’s very acceptable wear life to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 01:40:11 pm »
Maybe I was being a bit flippant with my comment about not caring about tire wear. Thinking about it some more, it might be a good thing.

I put 34,150 km on my WS80s over five seasons, and they're at just a hair less than 6/32" now. Bridgestone is a bit vague, but seems to be suggesting that the WS90s could go an extra 12,000 km over the WS80s. So that should be a comfortable six winters for me, by which time the GTI will be 16 years old. Might be the last set of winters I need before replacing it.

No offence, but that's about as useful as the comment from the guy who said his truck only uses $40 worth of gas per month.

none taken, wasn't meant to be useful info...

But since you ask, ~2/32 of wear from new on x-ice3's. My car sees ~16k per year, a little more in the summer so lets say ~6k per winter for a total of ~30k. ~1/32 of wear from new on the lattitude x-ice2's. Wife's car sees ~20k per year, lots more in summer so lets say ~8k per winter for a total of ~28k.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 02:52:47 pm »

4,000km on the DM-V2, 10,000km on the X-Ice 3. I don't need to measure, I'm quite comfortable with my tread depth thank you.

In all seriousness, I don't check unless I'm selling or I'm putting them on and didn't mark which tire was where before.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 03:56:50 pm »
Your lack of tire OCD is unbecoming in this group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 04:08:56 pm »
I generally expect to get 3 winters out of a set of tires.  The WS-80's on the Golf have two on them and seem to have a bunch of life left. But, one of them went flat and I am gonna have to scramble to find a replacement.  Or bite the bullet and just get another set. They're about $500 all in for the Golf so not a huge expense.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 11:12:03 pm »
^ I'll have to try your car with winters and see if I can tell the difference.

I got the Nokian Hakkawhatevers and they are great but I can't tell if the AWD system or not.

Or I"ll convince my buddy with AWD to not get Nokians.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 12:19:05 am »
The Corolla was driven last winter on day after day of some of the most challenging glare ice I’ve ever seen, and those Blizzaks were champs. If the 90s are better on ice, that’s just gravy.

We were in Vernon a couple of years ago and the area got a huge snow dump.  Different from here because they don’t plow very effectively and the warm temps meant the snow was wet and heavy and very challenging.

Even on the hills around Kalamalka Lake, the little FWD just went about its business. The WS-80s have never let us down.

If I recall, the tires were about $400. The best $400 we’ve ever spent on a car were those winter tires. 

Offline redmont

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 09 civic, '16 f150
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 02:32:15 am »
Had a set of WS80 tires and had no problems with them.  Next winter, I'm thinking of getting the WS90.