Author Topic: SUV: Ford Edge or Sedan: Acura TLX  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: SUV: Ford Edge or Sedan: Acura TLX
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 11:31:23 am »
Why the hell do you need (or want) a giant blob of an SUV?  You're the driver - how much space do you need?  I mean, if you're hauling around a pack of German Shepherds wherever you go, get the facking Ford.  Otherwise get the Acura. The TLX is a bit long in the tooth, but remains a handsome and capable sedan with a premium-ish look and feel.  Why get the Acura?  Better looking, better handling, better gas mileage.

Ive been accustomed to an SUV. Been driving Cx5 and X3 for the past 3 years. I was trying the new 5 series and it is SMALL for me.

Acura seems nice, love all the feature but thinking about the snow etc so....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acura comes in AWD - what worries you about the snow?

SUV AWD is better in snow than Sedan AWD no?

Unless you are talking about proper 4x4, on demand awd is craptastic whether on a SUV or car.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 11:33:54 am »
SUV: Ford Edge or Sedan: Acura TLX

I hope English grammar is going to be a part of your study, the one that deals with punctuation in particular.  :P
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 11:38:07 am »
You're not comparing apples to apples. Just get a Lexus RX.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12385
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 12:03:36 pm »
Why the hell do you need (or want) a giant blob of an SUV?  You're the driver - how much space do you need?  I mean, if you're hauling around a pack of German Shepherds wherever you go, get the facking Ford.  Otherwise get the Acura. The TLX is a bit long in the tooth, but remains a handsome and capable sedan with a premium-ish look and feel.  Why get the Acura?  Better looking, better handling, better gas mileage.

Ive been accustomed to an SUV. Been driving Cx5 and X3 for the past 3 years. I was trying the new 5 series and it is SMALL for me.

In the type of winters we get is Southwestern Ontario? Nope. I'd say the better handling sedan has the advantage. The number of times where ground clearance due to standing snowfall has been an issue for me in a sedan = zero.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rwidjaja

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Honda Accord
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 12:03:45 pm »
SUV: Ford Edge or Sedan: Acura TLX

I hope English grammar is going to be a part of your study, the one that deals with punctuation in particular.  :P
Haha wasnt really put a brain into the title.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rwidjaja

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 12:06:34 pm »
Have you driven either? As you say, they're not apples to apples, so after trying both you'll probably know pretty quick which you prefer. I test drove an Edge a few years ago (I don't remember if it was a 2.0T or 3.5) and found it fine. Just fine, not great. But again, there are SO many other options in this segment. I guess the Edge may win on price?

While we're throwing out random cars, and since you're torn between a Japanese sport sedan and a Domestic CUV, why not split the difference? Toyota Venza. Those are great cars.

Also, one thing to consider with the TLX (assuming you're looking at the SH-AWD version): with earlier models (up to the refresh in 2018) there was widespread criticism about the honda 9-speed transmission -- jerky shifts, etc. Not sure how bad it really was, just something to look out for.

Edge has the space and a fusion’s dashboard that I preferred. Price-wise it is also a good consideration.

Was thinking older model MDX 13-14 but i might go with TLX due to the gas consumption.

Venza, for me, is super ugly... sorry but not a toyota fan despite their damn good reliability.

Was thinking Taurus as well, but I guess it will be too old for me, I am 35.

Fair enough, we like what we like. You won't really go wrong with an Edge. FYI Taurus is huge on the outside yet small on the inside. Re: fuel economy, don't forget nearly all Acura's require Premium fuel and the Edge does not, so actual running costs probably similar.
I think your comment does make sense, drive them both and decide!

Again they are not apple to apple, but i really need to pick the brain out of everyone.

Offline rwidjaja

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2019, 12:10:06 pm »

In the type of winters we get is Southwestern Ontario? Nope. I'd say the better handling sedan has the advantage. The number of times where ground clearance due to standing snowfall has been an issue for me in a sedan = zero.
Fair enough, I was in Michigan 12 years ago and I drove 96 honda accord. I am still alive till now with zero accident and ticket.

I will consider an SUV or even Rubicon for my second car if my family needs one.